Author Topic: Trump wants 'goddamned steam’ catapults on new aircraft carriers  (Read 5321 times)

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: Trump wants 'goddamned steam’ catapults on new aircraft carriers
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2017, 01:01:34 pm »
this isn't steam punk workd. They still use computer fire controls, the power systems are electronic, heck, the aircraft themselves. If an EMP takes out the current system, it is taking out everything. A steam catapult will make no difference.

And the vital electronics on the ships are heavily shielded and have been since the nuclear age.

After all, the planes that dropped the nukes on Japan were well within the EMP radius when the bombs went off and they had some fairly sophisticated electronics on board.

geronl

« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2017, 01:03:56 pm »
this isn't steam punk workd. They still use computer fire controls, the power systems are electronic, heck, the aircraft themselves. If an EMP takes out the current system, it is taking out everything. A steam catapult will make no difference.

When the steam train breaks down in the desert because the world is falling apart and everyone else has hopped on wagons to start the world anew, there is always that one guy who will defend the steam locomotive against time itself. Loyal to the end, loyal to a fault to Taggart Trump Enterprises.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2017, 01:05:25 pm »
If we have a President who's getting his defense policy ideas from movies, let alone ones based on board games, we are in deeper trouble than I thought.

The last one got his education in presidenting from The West Wing, so it's not unheard of....

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2017, 01:05:28 pm »
And the vital electronics on the ships are heavily shielded and have been since the nuclear age.

After all, the planes that dropped the nukes on Japan were well within the EMP radius when the bombs went off and they had some fairly sophisticated electronics on board.
They were sophisticated for the day, but not solid state, nor even close to the thinner than hair fine conductors in components today. They'd be able to withstand a lot more amperage.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2017, 01:09:27 pm »
The last one got his education in presidenting from The West Wing, so it's not unheard of....
Touché.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Wingnut

« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2017, 01:11:30 pm »
I had second thoughts about posting that on a family forum, and pulled it, but you have saved it for posterity. Glad you got a laugh out of it.
Never second guess yourself joe...That is for others to do!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2017, 01:16:00 pm »
:silly:

I'll keep that in mind! Thanks!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2017, 01:19:16 pm »
They were sophisticated for the day, but not solid state, nor even close to the thinner than hair fine conductors in components today. They'd be able to withstand a lot more amperage.

But the point still stands that they knew about the problem then and have made sure that vital electronics are heavily shielded against EMP. After all, shielding against EMP is really quite simple.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2017, 01:21:27 pm »

:beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Wingnut

« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2017, 01:38:29 pm »
:silly:

I'll keep that in mind! Thanks!
:beer:

Hey.  What are friends for...well besides sharing a jail cell with you after a night of mirth and joy!  Anyone can bail you out but a true friend is always by your side. 

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2017, 01:46:59 pm »

:thumbsup:

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2017, 02:02:16 pm »
I had second thoughts about posting that on a family forum, and pulled it, but you have saved it for posterity. Glad you got a laugh out of it.
@Smokin Joe
I dunno, I think it was sufficiently obscure but will edit my post to remove the reference.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2017, 03:43:23 pm »
This discussion is making me think my friends and I will be recalled to active duty after the first EMP attack knocks out our GPS. Back in my day, we didn't have any kind of GPS to rely on in land navigation, we just had our compass and map.

For two years, I was one of the most dangerous weapons the Army had: a Second LT with a map.

My last two years in Germany, I never needed a map. I spent so much time on the road, I knew our area of operations like the back of my hand, it was roughly a thousand square miles. Our battalion handled short range air defense for 3 air bases...my first assignment was at the battery furthest from Battalion HQ (40 miles).

I was "kicked up" to Battalion HQ, to coordinate preparations for a pending Dept. of the Army inspection of our NBC warfare operations. I had that extra duty at my battery, and I was recommended for the job by several in the Battalion S-3 section. Spent a lot of time at all units, was a pretty good gig...got me a week at the NATO NBC school in Oberammergau.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2017, 03:51:33 pm »
This discussion is making me think my friends and I will be recalled to active duty after the first EMP attack knocks out our GPS. Back in my day, we didn't have any kind of GPS to rely on in land navigation, we just had our compass and map.

For two years, I was one of the most dangerous weapons the Army had: a Second LT with a map.

My last two years in Germany, I never needed a map. I spent so much time on the road, I knew our area of operations like the back of my hand, it was roughly a thousand square miles. Our battalion handled short range air defense for 3 air bases...my first assignment was at the battery furthest from Battalion HQ (40 miles).

I was "kicked up" to Battalion HQ, to coordinate preparations for a pending Dept. of the Army inspection of our NBC warfare operations. I had that extra duty at my battery, and I was recommended for the job by several in the Battalion S-3 section. Spent a lot of time at all units, was a pretty good gig...got me a week at the NATO NBC school in Oberammergau.

I've never done any orienteering but I've always been pretty good with a map and finding my bearings

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2017, 04:15:01 pm »
Well, let's look at the spendy gee-whiz stuff out there. Zumwalt. Nice, but we can't afford the main gun ammo at nearly a million bucks a pop. Oops.
The LCS program. Yikes, tow boats. Problems out the wazoo, and not ready for prime time,
F-35, F-22, whatever it is, the more cutting edge and complex it is , the more problems are going to show up, and some unanticipated weaknesses.

Prove the concept before putting it into production. Even hybrid cars can run on gasoline if the electrical stuff goes on the fritz. So some vessels get legacy systems as back ups. At least they'll be able to fight.
Just my $0.02, YMMV.
The Zumwalt ammo prices are because the number of guns to be used was reduced significantly...this drove the cost of the ammo through the roof, like reducing the buys on the B2 drove them into the $$B's.  They were projected to cost ~ $50k per round based on a 32 ship build as a cheaper alternative to Cruise Missiles at ~$1M per.

Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

geronl

« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2017, 04:27:26 pm »
The Zumwalt ammo prices are because the number of guns to be used was reduced significantly...this drove the cost of the ammo through the roof, like reducing the buys on the B2 drove them into the $$B's.  They were projected to cost ~ $50k per round based on a 32 ship build as a cheaper alternative to Cruise Missiles at ~$1M per.

Sometimes they reduced the # of aircraft to buy and the price-tag remained the same, I always found that weird.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2017, 04:29:40 pm »
Donny isn't talking out of school here. The EMALS system is a money pit and sucks. Why in the hell are we putting garbage tech into our new high tech boats before it is ready? Granted there are about 2 more years till the Ford is shaken down and put to full use, but what if that isn't enough time to get this system running?

Then we are shit out of luck with a big ass boat that cost a fortune and has a deck only usable for outdoor luncheons.

I was thinking the same thing before I read your post.  Obviously, EMALS is still in the dream stage and Trump's hyperbole about going back to 'goddamned steam engines' , while fun for the left to mock, isn't far off the mark.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2017, 04:35:11 pm »
Sometimes they reduced the # of aircraft to buy and the price-tag remained the same, I always found that weird.

Its extraordinarily complicated and full of opportunities for mistakes and graft.   The big contractors regularly hire govt and military people and then they go back to govt positions.  Its very incestuous.

At a high level when a new aircraft is developed the taxpayer funds the development.  So there is a HUGE upfront cost that has to be added to the cost of the individual airplanes eventually developed.  The military will not buy airplanes which they don't help design, develop and order.   There was one aircraft that industry developed with the intent of selling it to the military.    It was a perfectly good design but the military would not even look at it.

At least thats my take on it.    I refuse to get involved in govt contracting any more.   I'd rather eat a puss filled chicken sandwhich then talk to another contracting officer.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2017, 06:05:24 pm »
Riddle me this; why is he weighing in on and/or micromanaging things like this? Leave it to the military and nautical engineers who know best.

I don't like this.  It demonstrates a willingness to micromanage the military at an LBJ level of stupidity.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2017, 06:44:05 pm »
If steam doesn't work we can always build a giant wooden badger!
I stand with Roosgirl.

geronl

« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2017, 06:47:40 pm »
Its extraordinarily complicated and full of opportunities for mistakes and graft.   The big contractors regularly hire govt and military people and then they go back to govt positions.  Its very incestuous.

Hey that $50 billion aircraft purchase has been reduced from 100 planes to 80, meanwhile the price stays the same. What savings.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2017, 07:18:21 pm »
I don't like this.  It demonstrates a willingness to micromanage the military at an LBJ level of stupidity.

Relax.  It does not.  It only reflects Trump's ability to express himself at all times and in all places.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.