Author Topic: Trump wants 'goddamned steam’ catapults on new aircraft carriers  (Read 5342 times)

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Trump wants 'goddamned steam’ catapults on new aircraft carriers
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2017, 06:41:05 am »
Yes, but the steam powered catapults are known to fail at the worst times.  Hasn't anyone learned that from Top Gun?   :#@$%:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2017, 07:25:13 am »
Yes, but the steam powered catapults are known to fail at the worst times.  Hasn't anyone learned that from Top Gun?   :#@$%:
Lots of electricity, salt water, weather deck. What could go wrong?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2017, 08:20:18 am »

It sounded bad to me.  Digital.  They have digital?  And it's very complicated, you have to be Albert Einstein to figure it out.

So much wisdom.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2017, 10:54:37 am »
Riddle me this; why is he weighing in on and/or micromanaging things like this? Leave it to the military and nautical engineers who know best.

Uh.....perhaps he's seen the movie BATTLESHIP?    *****rollingeyes*****

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1440129/
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 10:55:45 am by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2017, 11:09:18 am »
I know nothing about either system.... but maybe he is concerned about an EMP issue.  Maybe someone in the military voiced such a concern to him.  Who knows?
He does seem to be very responsive to what his advisors tell him, so this would be what I suspect.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2017, 11:10:21 am »
Uh.....perhaps he's seen the movie BATTLESHIP?
If we have a President who's getting his defense policy ideas from movies, let alone ones based on board games, we are in deeper trouble than I thought.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2017, 11:15:34 am »
If we have a President who's getting his defense policy ideas from movies, let alone ones based on board games, we are in deeper trouble than I thought.

Cute.

You know exactly what my point is.

What moron would create a defense system protecting the liberty/freedoms of 330 MILLION people that could be made inoperable with EMP weapons?   
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 11:16:01 am by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

geronl

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2017, 11:41:48 am »
Hey, I know... let's redesign our new super-expensive aircraft carriers all over again because Trump had a bullet-point he didn't like. Sure it'll cost billions and take years, but whatever.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2017, 11:46:06 am »
Hey, I know... let's redesign our new super-expensive aircraft carriers all over again because Trump had a bullet-point he didn't like. Sure it'll cost billions and take years, but whatever.
Well, let's look at the spendy gee-whiz stuff out there. Zumwalt. Nice, but we can't afford the main gun ammo at nearly a million bucks a pop. Oops.
The LCS program. Yikes, tow boats. Problems out the wazoo, and not ready for prime time,
F-35, F-22, whatever it is, the more cutting edge and complex it is , the more problems are going to show up, and some unanticipated weaknesses.

Prove the concept before putting it into production. Even hybrid cars can run on gasoline if the electrical stuff goes on the fritz. So some vessels get legacy systems as back ups. At least they'll be able to fight.
Just my $0.02, YMMV.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

geronl

« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2017, 11:48:38 am »

Prove the concept before putting it into production.

That should be a rule.

BTW, the LCS are glorified coast guard ships IMO.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2017, 12:03:54 pm »

You can't be THAT stupid.

Or....can you? 

All the technological advances in the universe won't mean sh*t...if they are rendered useless by electromagnetic pulses.

In that movie analogy, it took a WWII retired battleship to 'win' the day.

geronl

« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2017, 12:07:21 pm »

In that movie analogy, it took a WWII retired battleship to 'win' the day.

It was a ridiculous movie, of course.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2017, 12:10:27 pm »

Of course it was, @geronl

....as ridiculous as it was to see Dick Tracy wearing a wristwatch phone back in 1955.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2017, 12:23:01 pm »
Yeah, but it was fun.

C S Lewis

geronl

« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2017, 12:28:23 pm »
Nuclear catapults!

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2017, 12:29:48 pm »
Well, let's look at the spendy gee-whiz stuff out there. Zumwalt. Nice, but we can't afford the main gun ammo at nearly a million bucks a pop. Oops.
The LCS program. Yikes, tow boats. Problems out the wazoo, and not ready for prime time,
F-35, F-22, whatever it is, the more cutting edge and complex it is , the more problems are going to show up, and some unanticipated weaknesses.

Prove the concept before putting it into production. Even hybrid cars can run on gasoline if the electrical stuff goes on the fritz. So some vessels get legacy systems as back ups. At least they'll be able to fight.
Just my $0.02, YMMV.

Make sure you mandate indoctrination of the Luddite thinking in all school children.

Using your approach radar wouldn't have been available in WWII.  Nor would proximity fuses.  Why would a company pay to develop a technology if there is nobody to sell it too?  How do you work out the finer details of a technology WITHOUT putting it into a production environment.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2017, 12:32:40 pm »
That should be a rule.

BTW, the LCS are glorified coast guard ships IMO.
Maybe, maybe not. The idea of mobility and firepower doesn't just apply to land warfare, and the LCS theoretically should have the ability of a coastal gunboat to utilize shallower waters effectively to fight, including the masking effects of terrain and bathymetry.
That means an efficient and effective propulsion system, effective fire control, shallow draft, and firepower. If you can't keep it moving, it's just a battery raft, and going to get battered.

Keep in mind that Jefferson's Navy was mostly coastal gunboats for defense, with relatively few blue water ships, but then, that was budget constrained, not blank check cost-plus territory.

The PT boats were effective for their weight class, too (and one of the most beautiful hulls ever designed, imho). And coastal gunboats and smaller vessels used for everything from SAR to defense are common worldwide.

I can't fault the concept so much as the execution, nor do I fault those who are out there trying to make it work.

C S Lewis

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2017, 12:33:17 pm »
Nuclear catapults!

I think giant rubber bands would be best.  It worked on my airplanes when I was a kid.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2017, 12:36:31 pm »
I think giant rubber bands would be best.  It worked on my airplanes when I was a kid.
Latex allergies...not to mention the potential for impacting the latex market which might make Liberty onshore more hazardous duty...

C S Lewis

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2017, 12:51:18 pm »
Latex allergies...not to mention the potential for impacting the latex market which might make Liberty onshore more hazardous duty...

Sheepskin.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2017, 12:53:42 pm »
Carrier Gerald R. Ford Completes Builder’s Trials, Prepares For Acceptance Trials, Delivery ‘This Spring’

By: Megan Eckstein

April 14, 2017 2:21 PM https://news.usni.org/2017/04/14/carrier-gerald-r-ford-completes-builders-trials-prepares-acceptance-trials-delivery-spring

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2017, 12:55:07 pm »
Yeah. I think it started with goats. Muslim invention. It was only 500 years before the British figured out it worked better if <censored >...

You made me spill my coffee
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 02:04:58 pm by driftdiver »

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2017, 12:55:44 pm »
Cute.

You know exactly what my point is.

What moron would create a defense system protecting the liberty/freedoms of 330 MILLION people that could be made inoperable with EMP weapons?

this isn't steam punk workd. They still use computer fire controls, the power systems are electronic, heck, the aircraft themselves. If an EMP takes out the current system, it is taking out everything. A steam catapult will make no difference.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2017, 12:56:38 pm »
You made me spill my coffee
I had second thoughts about posting that on a family forum, and pulled it, but you have saved it for posterity. Glad you got a laugh out of it.

C S Lewis