Author Topic: Baby Boomers Whine More Than Millennials  (Read 2348 times)

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
Re: Baby Boomers Whine More Than Millennials
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2017, 11:33:54 am »
I think the article may be missing the underlying cause - we understand that things used to be better.

My kids never experienced going to the airport and just going straight to the plane without waiting for 2 hours and being treated like a criminal.  My kids also think its "normal" to have a speed bump every 15 feet in the parking lot.  And they don't have to change their underwear when someone honks their car horn by locking their doors with a remote as you are standing right in front of their car.

I could go on (and on) but you get the idea.  Yeah, I bitch a lot.  A whole lot, but for good reason. 

----

If the food is bad but the service is good, or even decent, I'll tip the waiter.  This is because I know they don't make much money and the quality of food is not under their control.  My wife says I overtip, which is true.

When I make a purchase at a store I normally say, "thank you".  These days, that's a one-sided courtesy.  And I'm the customer.

When walking in or out of a store I'll hold the door for the next person, male or female.  It's a common courtesy that requires zero extra effort on my part.  I've already expended the energy of opening the door.  Holding it for a few seconds requires nothing, nothing but an awareness of others around you.

----

The examples above all fall under the same heading of Common Decency.  It is indecent to be treated like a criminal at the airport or to be unaware of your fellow human beings, especially those standing within a few feet of you.  I've noticed a lot of people throw around the term "respect" these days.  Yet they don't seem to understand that part of respecting others is leaving them alone.  I'll leave you alone if you leave me alone.

And there is another side to the respect coin.  I'll leave you alone right up to the point to where you decide to tell me what to do or how to live my life.  That's a big no-go.  You don't know anything about me and if you feel obligated to impose your will on me you can expect a big dose of something I promise you won't like in return.  That's the bargain - you choose how it will go.

---

Yeah, I bitch a lot.  A whole lot because there is a whole lot to bitch about.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 11:40:47 am by Hondo69 »

Wingnut

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2017, 11:37:50 am »
I think the article may be missing the underlying cause - we understand that things used to be better.
,snip.

Yeah, I bitch a lot.  A whole lot because there is a whole lot to bitch about.

Those are pet peeves Hondo.  You have to take those suckers out and walk them often!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 11:38:41 am by Wingnut »

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2017, 11:46:48 am »
Those are pet peeves Hondo.  You have to take those suckers out and walk them often!

I wouldn't call being treated like a criminal at the airport a pet peeve.  Sure, some of the other examples are pet peeves, but they're not exactly called out in the Bill of Rights so they may be termed annoyances.  And I can deal with annoyances - Hey, life is hard, wear a cup.  But remember the boiling frog gets warmer one degree at a time.  It's getting really hot in here.

Oceander

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2017, 11:55:23 am »
Certainly a lot of complaining going on here!  :bigsilly:

Wingnut

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2017, 12:01:17 pm »
Certainly a lot of complaining going on here!  :bigsilly:

Get off my lawn you damn punk!     :silly: