Author Topic: WHY WINDOWS POWER USERS BREAK LINUX  (Read 9333 times)

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
Re: WHY WINDOWS POWER USERS BREAK LINUX
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2017, 10:55:06 am »
I find a lot of these pro Linux people are pretty ignorant about windows and computers in general.

Some thing doesn't work in windows? It's because windows sucks.

Something doesn't work in Linux? Well you just need to learn Linux.

Anyone see the problem there?

The author is a complete ignoramus. No way to gauge the health of a windows system? What a bleep complete clown.

Fine, you don't care for Linux or Unix, don't use it.  Linux folks really don't care about that, you know.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2017, 11:23:22 am »
Fine, you don't care for Linux or Unix, don't use it.  Linux folks really don't care about that, you know.

Never said I don't care for it. I use it and like it. But I also use Windows.

Oceander

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2017, 11:29:41 am »
I find a lot of these pro Linux people are pretty ignorant about windows and computers in general.

Some thing doesn't work in windows? It's because windows sucks.

Something doesn't work in Linux? Well you just need to learn Linux.

Anyone see the problem there?

The author is a complete ignoramus. No way to gauge the health of a windows system? What a bleep complete clown.

Wow. That must have been some pretty curdled milk you put on your cheerios this morning.   

No doubt there is a similar issue going the other way, so why don't you write a new thread about it instead of pissing on everyone else's cheerios here?

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2017, 11:32:22 am »
You are right... Get started now. Dig one of your old boxen out of the garage (pretty well anything dual core or better will do). Rub it off and install Ubuntu or Mint... Within a couple weeks you'll be wondering why you didn't do it a long time ago.

But the article is right. You need a while before you rely upon it. Treat all your data as volatile in that box until you become proficient. back it, or even store it on a thumb or ext hdd, outside of the system. Figure you are going mess up the system, and figure you are going to reinstall it multiple times.

But you'll like it. And take it from another DOS user: you'll do fine.
Yike! My newest box is dual core....

Unfortunately, all the proprietary software I have used over the years is Windows based. Even more unfortunately, the updates/upgrades with the newer whistles and bells won't run on XP, and after a 'boom' in the industry, all the n00bs are running Win10 because, well, they don't likely remember XP except from grade school...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

• Technical
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2017, 11:35:07 am »
Wow. That must have been some pretty curdled milk you put on your cheerios this morning.   

No doubt there is a similar issue going the other way, so why don't you write a new thread about it instead of pissing on everyone else's cheerios here?

I'm discussing it. Isn't that what this forum is for?

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2017, 01:05:04 pm »

Unfortunately, all the proprietary software I have used over the years is Windows based. Even more unfortunately, the updates/upgrades with the newer whistles and bells won't run on XP, and after a 'boom' in the industry, all the n00bs are running Win10 because, well, they don't likely remember XP except from grade school...

Well, unless they're bespoke programs written specifically for your circumstances, there might be equivalents in the open source world that would do the trick.  Here are a few sites to look through for equivalents.  Not saying that they'll operate exactly like the Windows programs, but that they'll contain similar functionality:

http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Linux_software_equivalent_to_Windows_software

http://www.linuxalt.com/
http://goinglinux.com/articles/LinuxSoftwareEquivalents_en.htm
http://www.linuxlinks.com/article/20070701111340544/Equivalents.html
https://www.gimpshop.com/
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Linux_Guide/Software_equivalents
My political philosophy:

3) Leave me alone!

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2017, 01:07:34 pm »
Thanks!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Oceander

« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2017, 12:59:20 am »
I'm discussing it. Isn't that what this forum is for?

That wasn't so much discussion as it was Windows-washing.  I know what it is 'cause I've been there before and even got suspended for 2 days at another forum 8 years ago for saying more or less the same thing, just in Earthier language. 

• Technical
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2017, 01:06:04 am »
That wasn't so much discussion as it was Windows-washing.  I know what it is 'cause I've been there before and even got suspended for 2 days at another forum 8 years ago for saying more or less the same thing, just in Earthier language.

Windows washing?

Oceander

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2017, 01:08:57 am »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2017, 05:34:02 am »

I'm telling ya, I get stuff for FREE all the time that is generations beyond XP. Look around. Really.
I just got an HP with an AMD 6core handed to me. It needs a hdd, and more ram, but free is free.

All I can say is try finding Open Source solutions. Open Source software is usually cross platform, usually free, and usually better than the paid stuff.

Search 'Open Software geology' as an instance. Dunno. Your field is rather specialized.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 05:34:42 am by roamer_1 »

geronl

« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2017, 07:04:49 am »
I'm telling ya, I get stuff for FREE all the time that is generations beyond XP. Look around. Really.
I just got an HP with an AMD 6core handed to me. It needs a hdd, and more ram, but free is free.

Where are you getting this free stuff? Are you advertising on Craigslist for people to donate their stuff instead of tossing it? lol

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2017, 08:50:12 am »
I don't understand this thread but I'm a die hard Apple fan girl.

Commence throwing tomatoes and rotten fish at me in 10...9...8...7...6...5....4...3...2..1....

G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2017, 11:08:35 am »

Commence throwing tomatoes and rotten fish at me in 10...9...8...7...6...5....4...3...2..1....

Nah, OSX is just OpenBSD (one of the many Unix variants) with some screwball GUI thrown on it and the filesystem messed up a bit.  :whistle: 
My political philosophy:

3) Leave me alone!

• Technical
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2017, 11:13:56 am »
Nah, OSX is just OpenBSD (one of the many Unix variants) with some screwball GUI thrown on it and the filesystem messed up a bit.  :whistle:

It's actually Darwin which is a tad different than BSD.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_(operating_system)

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2017, 11:29:18 am »
It's actually Darwin which is a tad different than BSD.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_(operating_system)

OK, so more than a little messed up.  :laugh:
My political philosophy:

3) Leave me alone!

Online roamer_1

« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2017, 04:34:34 pm »
Where are you getting this free stuff? Are you advertising on Craigslist for people to donate their stuff instead of tossing it? lol

Somewhat like that... I have been a service tech for so long that folks know I part out machines. If I give someone a used part to get them going, I never charge for the part...
And I have made whole machines to donate to vets to get their families into a device that can run coms for being able to talk to their loved one in the desert...
So all that paying forward kinda returns. I find stuff on my doorstep all the time.

But the main thing is getting in folks basements and garages - I never ever miss a chance...
then it's, "hey, what are those machines over there?"
"aw, them are all broke... You want em?"

Or they'll give the machine to me for the value of getting their data off, or making sure the drive gets wiped. Many, many folks are scared to throw them out, because they think someone is going to steal all their information....

It's crazy sometimes... One guy uses me every time - he buys new top end gear every three years, and gives me his old gear for the data transfer and help tuning the new machine in. a thousand dollar machine from three years ago is still a very viable box today...

• Technical
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2017, 05:11:10 pm »
It's just st a tad dismaying to me that I am pegged as anti Linux. I just think the choice isn't as clear cut as people think. And not all Linux arguments are as sound as people think. One arguments I heard on here was that open source software is often better than proprietary, something I agree with wholeheartedly. There's just one problem with that argument, most of the popular open source software found on Linux is also available for windows too. The windows version of nmap comes by default, with a great GUI component.

I've heard Linux users rail against UAC, but UAC is just the windows equivalent to sudo.

I've heard some bad arguments in the reverse as well , for example, arguments that Linux is hard to use are indeed outdated, as Linux guis are pretty capable. The two systems are getting more interchangeable as time goes on and they even offer powershell on Linux and bash on windows.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 05:12:03 pm by Weird Tolkienish Figure »

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2017, 05:26:07 pm »

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2017, 05:27:41 pm »
I watched this the other day and found it fun. People forget that the phone company used to be one of our sources for heavy duty tech....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc4ROCJYbm0

Oceander

« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2017, 05:32:58 pm »
I watched this the other day and found it fun. People forget that the phone company used to be one of our sources for heavy duty tech....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc4ROCJYbm0

You have a strange sense of fun. 

Online roamer_1

« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2017, 05:44:48 pm »
It's just st a tad dismaying to me that I am pegged as anti Linux. I just think the choice isn't as clear cut as people think.

I am about like you, but leaning the other way - I would prefer Linux to Win, but I use both, with Windows having far more presence than Linux in my life and on my LAN...

To compliment MS, for the first time in my experience, MS has finally released a major version that has *not* burned down from almost immediate virus exploits. They are coding tighter than they normally have. Hurrah.

But to suggest that win is comparable to nix is just laughable to me. If I weren't fixing Windows for a living, there is no question at all which one I would be running exclusively. Linux is superior to Windows and always has been.

And not all Linux arguments are as sound as people think. One arguments I heard on here was that open source software is often better than proprietary, something I agree with wholeheartedly. There's just one problem with that argument, most of the popular open source software found on Linux is also available for windows too. The windows version of nmap comes by default, with a great GUI component.

I was the one who made that 'argument' in the context of ppl finding an easier migration into Linux. I literally encouraged using OSS ON WINDOWS to make the transition easier when the time comes - So you do not offer any new revelation. It was exactly the cross-platform capability that I pointed to... and zenmap, off the top of my head, is a nix based gui for nmap that is but a click or two away... for all I know, it may be stock anymore.

It used to be that guis were for losers in win too... I guess that has changed. Not for me. I am far more productive on the line. So I hail the idea that Linux still supports the line more than the gui, would that windows did too. From my pov, it would be great if I could still get under the gui in win like back in the DOS days. Fixing it would be a thousand times easier.

I've heard Linux users rail against UAC, but UAC is just the windows equivalent to sudo.

Likely those same nix users rail against sudo too.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2017, 05:48:10 pm »
You have a strange sense of fun.

I also watched an episode of Wheel of Fortune from the 70's with Chuck Woolery to really make it an exciting evening....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rywpjsayfko

• Technical
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2017, 06:29:14 pm »
I am about like you, but leaning the other way - I would prefer Linux to Win, but I use both, with Windows having far more presence than Linux in my life and on my LAN...

To compliment MS, for the first time in my experience, MS has finally released a major version that has *not* burned down from almost immediate virus exploits. They are coding tighter than they normally have. Hurrah.

But to suggest that win is comparable to nix is just laughable to me. If I weren't fixing Windows for a living, there is no question at all which one I would be running exclusively. Linux is superior to Windows and always has been.

I was the one who made that 'argument' in the context of ppl finding an easier migration into Linux. I literally encouraged using OSS ON WINDOWS to make the transition easier when the time comes - So you do not offer any new revelation. It was exactly the cross-platform capability that I pointed to... and zenmap, off the top of my head, is a nix based gui for nmap that is but a click or two away... for all I know, it may be stock anymore.

It used to be that guis were for losers in win too... I guess that has changed. Not for me. I am far more productive on the line. So I hail the idea that Linux still supports the line more than the gui, would that windows did too. From my pov, it would be great if I could still get under the gui in win like back in the DOS days. Fixing it would be a thousand times easier.

Likely those same nix users rail against sudo too.

I'm proficient in both the GUI and cli. I run Linux, Solaris, and hpux all headless. But yes guis are for losers  :laugh:
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 06:29:46 pm by Weird Tolkienish Figure »