Author Topic: Powerline: Firing on Comey  (Read 456 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Powerline: Firing on Comey
« on: May 11, 2017, 01:46:42 pm »
Posted on May 11, 2017 by Scott Johnson in James Comey
Firing on Comey

In the spirit of William F. Buckley, Jr., herewith a few thoughts briefly stated on President Trump’s firing of James Comey as FBI Director.

I usually try to sleep on significant developments before commenting on them. In this case I have slept on it over two nights. At this point I would like to go back to bed until it’s safe to come out to play.

We await the definitive account of the reasons behind President Trump’s firing of Comey. It is reasonable to doubt that the reasons proffered in the Rosenstein memo prompted the termination. It would be a mistake to take them at face value without more. Even so, one can reasonably conclude (as many Democrats and Republicans believed) that Comey’s termination was warranted. If so, Trump’s termination of Comey was proper if not desirable.

The media hysteria over Comey’s firing is almost unbelievable. It is certainly insufferable. The media are like five-year-olds whose crying upsets each other until it reaches a crescendo of wailing and lamentation. The hysteria of the media, however, is not without point. It amplifies the talking points of the Democratic Party protesting Comey’s firing, which Democrats were of course more or less demanding up until Trump pulled the trigger. As for the Democrats, hypocrisy is the tribute that vice pays to opportunism.

Continued: http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2017/05/firing-on-comey.php