Author Topic: What if We Discovered an Alien Civilization Less Advanced Than Our Own?  (Read 5848 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Leave the sods alone until they are in the position to discover us.

If history has taught ONE thing, it's that a more advanced civilization discovering a less advanced one destroys the less advanced. Imagine how much worse it'd be if said more advanced civiliaztion literally descended from the sky.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
@Cripplecreek

Soooo....

I was at an amusement park with the kids recently, walking through the midway. Do you know what the prizes were for the games? I'm not kidding, here...

Yes. Stuffed poop. And stuffed poop hats. Some of the poop was in rainbow colors.

So next time you fantasize about bringing an "underdeveloped" alien culture up to "our level," grab your nuts - or whatever parts afforded you by one of 67 genders - buck up, and just walk that fantasy riiiiiight back.

We truly have become Idiocracy.

Or Mr. Hankey is famous!
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
@Cripplecreek

Soooo....

I was at an amusement park with the kids recently, walking through the midway. Do you know what the prizes were for the games? I'm not kidding, here...

Yes. Stuffed poop. And stuffed poop hats. Some of the poop was in rainbow colors.

So next time you fantasize about bringing an "underdeveloped" alien culture up to "our level," grab your nuts - or whatever parts afforded you by one of 67 genders - buck up, and just walk that fantasy riiiiiight back.

We truly have become Idiocracy.

Let it burn.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
We would be doing them a favor by bringing them up to our level.

I don't believe in a "prime directive" and see nothing noble in it.

So much of how we advanced as a civilization and species isn't the end result of our technology (or at least current state), it is the journey to get there.  Often, what the journey taught us was far more important than what we created in the end.

If said civilization was very similar to our own in terms of thinking, values, etc, we wouldn't be doing them a favor by just dropping advancement on them.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
We already have. There is a mysterious bacteria growing on interplanetary devices that no one can explain. They grow in space. As weird as this may seem, space seems to be full of life.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Ghost Bear

I'm surprised no one has yet suggested the obvious things we should do:

Fly our spacecraft over their major cities until they scramble the alien equivalent of fighter jets, and then zip out of sight;

Visit some rural farm, butcher some of the meat animals horribly, and leave the carcasses in a field for the alien farmer to find;

Visit another farm and cut strange symbols all through the crops;

Find some alien wandering along some back road, grab it, and subject it to "scientific experiments" of an extremely personal nature, then release it (physically) unharmed;

And of course, while doing all of these things, film them all so that they can be broadcast on the future version of "Punk'd" and/or "Candid Camera".   :tongue2:
Let it burn.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
I'm surprised no one has yet suggested the obvious things we should do:

Fly our spacecraft over their major cities until they scramble the alien equivalent of fighter jets, and then zip out of sight;

Visit some rural farm, butcher some of the meat animals horribly, and leave the carcasses in a field for the alien farmer to find;

Visit another farm and cut strange symbols all through the crops;

Find some alien wandering along some back road, grab it, and subject it to "scientific experiments" of an extremely personal nature, then release it (physically) unharmed;

And of course, while doing all of these things, film them all so that they can be broadcast on the future version of "Punk'd" and/or "Candid Camera".   :tongue2:

Also, make sure that all of our spacecraft have flashing lights on them, but use some method to always make them appear like a fuzzy dot.

Offline Ghost Bear

Also, make sure that all of our spacecraft have flashing lights on them, but use some method to always make them appear like a fuzzy dot.

Yes! Imperfect cloaking... not quite enough to make our ships invisible, just enough to make it difficult for recording devices to get a clear picture.

And we should send scouts down among the aliens, always in pairs, disguised as aliens but not quite well enough to really pass without notice, and dressed all in black.  :pondering:
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 11:07:03 pm by Ghost Bear »
Let it burn.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

What if We Discovered an Alien Civilization Less Advanced Than Our Own?
Impossible if we let them first view Mexico.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Oceander

Give them the most wicked set of conflicting religious traditions we can come up with, complete with animal-headed gods and goddesses and flaming bushes.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Assimilation and adaption are preferable. Again, I just don't see anything noble in keeping primitive people primitive so we can study them and feel superior. I would encourage them to hold on to their history and useful parts of their traditional culture.

500 years ago people were fully modern humans who only lacked technologies and knowledge.
So, invent a time machine and give Genghis Khan AK-47s Or the Saracens 155s or the Crusaders Air to Ground capability...okay, that's 700 years ago, but you might get my point. 500 would only take them from the age of sail and draft animals to ICEs and Spacefaring with energy weapons instead of muzzle loaders.

I see great potential for disaster in delivering technologies into the hands of those who are still developing philosophically as well, not to mention the bias of individuals or their naivete seriously affecting the outcome, the future of the planet, the race/species, and the potential for that to have deleterious effects on the whole galaxy. In just the last 100 years (half that, actually) we have gone from being highly tolerant of massive collateral damage to attempt to achieve a military objective to filling JDAMs with concrete instead of explosive and using them as a kinetic weapon to eliminate a targeted building in a dense neighborhood.
Before, we'd have just wiped out the town (shells or bombs), even before air power.
Our philosophies have changed with out technologies, as we became more capable, as we became more capable of destruction. Not to say there have not been beneficial effects, but the same technologies used for peace can be adapted for conflict, and where not, they teach principles which can.

Not to mention the possibilities for proxy wars, planet by planet, system by system, etc.

Behind it all, we still haven't decided the criteria for "advanced".

Who are we to mess with a planet which has existed without conflict, in harmony with its own ecosystem, in a stable society, with primitive technology?

In many ways they are far more advanced than we are, they just don't have fancy gadgets--which might end up destabilizing and destroying a culture which in other ways was far superior.

Let them chart their own course, unless they are a threat to others. Spare them being told how to run their planet by their "betters".  We get the same sh*t all the time in the hinterlands...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline montanajoe

So, invent a time machine and give Genghis Khan AK-47s Or the Saracens 155s or the Crusaders Air to Ground capability...okay, that's 700 years ago, but you might get my point. 500 would only take them from the age of sail and draft animals to ICEs and Spacefaring with energy weapons instead of muzzle loaders.

I see great potential for disaster in delivering technologies into the hands of those who are still developing philosophically as well, not to mention the bias of individuals or their naivete seriously affecting the outcome, the future of the planet, the race/species, and the potential for that to have deleterious effects on the whole galaxy. In just the last 100 years (half that, actually) we have gone from being highly tolerant of massive collateral damage to attempt to achieve a military objective to filling JDAMs with concrete instead of explosive and using them as a kinetic weapon to eliminate a targeted building in a dense neighborhood.
Before, we'd have just wiped out the town (shells or bombs), even before air power.
Our philosophies have changed with out technologies, as we became more capable, as we became more capable of destruction. Not to say there have not been beneficial effects, but the same technologies used for peace can be adapted for conflict, and where not, they teach principles which can.

Not to mention the possibilities for proxy wars, planet by planet, system by system, etc.

Behind it all, we still haven't decided the criteria for "advanced".

Who are we to mess with a planet which has existed without conflict, in harmony with its own ecosystem, in a stable society, with primitive technology?

In many ways they are far more advanced than we are, they just don't have fancy gadgets--which might end up destabilizing and destroying a culture which in other ways was far superior.

Let them chart their own course, unless they are a threat to others. Spare them being told how to run their planet by their "betters".  We get the same sh*t all the time in the hinterlands...

888high58888 Dont have time to be on the board tonight but well put agree completely

Offline Frank Cannon

Leave the sods alone until they are in the position to discover us.

If history has taught ONE thing, it's that a more advanced civilization discovering a less advanced one destroys the less advanced. Imagine how much worse it'd be if said more advanced civiliaztion literally descended from the sky.

I don't know. There are plenty of jungle tribes and the such that have never experience civilization before we discovered them. We check them out, study them and then we go on our way and they continue on theirs.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
To be completely fair, I should have said "the less advanced destroys itself." since our worldview doesn't get changed by these meetings and we do have no intention of destroying them. But no - the jungle tribes we meet and study are changed significantly by the meeting - followups decades later show that.

OF course, another factor to think of when and if we meet a less advanced species is - they are a different species. We're going to be wildly different from them. 500 years ago, if a strange, inhuman being descended from the sky, they'd have been either worshipped or killed as a demon, if they could speak. Just killed as "different" if they couldn't.

It's why I say leave them alone until they discover US. Put the ball in their court, so they find us when they are ready. Sure, watch them, remotely study them, hell, stick them on TV to pay for the costs of monitoring, but no contact.

The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

geronl

We will convert them to Christianity of course

geronl

We will steal all of their best TV programs without paying royalties, because we are evil.

Wingnut

I think Serling had the right idea.....

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
I think Serling had the right idea.....

That was  good episode. Serling died too young. He had so much great stories in him we missed.

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
If past human behavior is any indication, there will be a brief period of cohabitation, then passive domination via no violent means, then violence that results in subjugation and enslavement.  The path out of enslavement will only happen after the collective culture no longer sees the enslaved as a threat.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
@Wingnut

I just had a horrible thought!

What if an alien civilization came here, were nice to us, gave us technology and in the end alll they had was a cookbook?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
@Wingnut

What if an alien civilization came here, were nice to us, gave us technology and in the end alll they had was a cookbook?

Our goose would be cooked?

Wingnut

@Wingnut

Our goose would be cooked?

Yep we would be Pattie Far Gwar for sure!

Offline Frank Cannon

What if We Discovered an Alien Civilization Less Advanced Than Our Own?

I think we already found one...

geronl

What planet is that? I doubt such a one exists in any galaxy.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
What planet is that? I doubt such a one exists in any galaxy.

Actually its kind of funny. Conservatives overwhelmingly cried foul over the poor portrayal of humanity in the Avatar flick. Yet here in this thread its a near unanimous consensus that we would be exactly like humans in  Avatar.

While it stands in direct conflict with my reasons for not wanting an alien race to discover us, I still have no problem with us interfering with a minimally less advanced race. Sure it would change them but that doesn't mean it would be a great harm. More likely than not we would be the greatest thing ever to happen to them.

Look at the animals we consider to be very intelligent like dogs, horses, great apes, dolphins and whales. Most of us treat them with great compassion when despite their intelligence, they're millions of years behind us. If those same animals could sing an opera, write novels, or discuss quantum physics they would deserve and win the same rights as humans.

There's no reason to believe we wouldn't treat a slightly lass advanced race than ours with respect.