Author Topic: Why Liberals Aren’t as Tolerant as They Think  (Read 624 times)

rangerrebew

Why Liberals Aren’t as Tolerant as They Think
« on: May 10, 2017, 11:57:29 am »
 Why Liberals Aren’t as Tolerant as They Think

The political left might consider itself more open-minded than the right. But research shows that liberals are just as prejudiced against conservatives as conservatives are against liberals.

By Matthew Hutson

May 09, 2017

In March, students at Middlebury College disrupted a lecture by the conservative political scientist Charles Murray because they disagreed with some of his writings. Last month, the University of California, Berkeley, canceled a lecture by the conservative commentator Ann Coulter due to concerns for her safety—just two months after uninviting the conservative writer Milo Yiannopoulos due to violent protests. Media outlets on the right have played up the incidents as evidence of rising close-mindedness on the left.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/05/09/why-liberals-arent-as-tolerant-as-they-think-215114
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 11:58:15 am by rangerrebew »

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
Re: Why Liberals Aren’t as Tolerant as They Think
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 02:44:38 pm »
"just as prejudiced against conservatives as conservatives are against liberals"?  The writer equates intolerance with prejudice, but they aren't really the same.  You can be tolerant of those you're prejudiced against.  That's pretty much how most of us not on the left have been for years.  What we're now seeing is that the leftist intolerance of those they're prejudiced against has become so obvious that even the leftist media can't ignore it any longer.  That being the case, they're trying to do a "tu quoque" defense.  I predict that that won't work either.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline skeeter

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 02:56:04 pm »
I wonder if the writer can name a single instance within the past few decades of the right wing being motivated by political intolerance to riot.

Or even attempt to pass a law or ordinance intended to stifle a point of view alternative to their's.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 03:19:56 pm »