Author Topic: Strip Club Claimed Dancers Were Therapists To Skirt $3.1M In State Taxes  (Read 961 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Not quite Ridiculous News worthy, but too good to ignore:

It’s not uncommon for companies to try to finesse their way out of a hefty tax bill, but one Manhattan strip club tried a unique excuse when attempting to skirt $3.1 million in state taxes: Its dancers were providing therapy to customers, and not just entertainment.

The New York Daily News reports that the owners of the Penthouse Executive Club unsuccessfully argued to a state tax appeals tribunal that it shouldn’t have to pay taxes because its dancers proved patrons non-taxable services akin to a massage therapist or sex therapist.

The club’s tax troubles go back several years when an audit for 2010 and 2011 found that the company neglected to pay taxes on its sale of in-house currency. The currency, dubbed “executive dollars,” is purchased by patrons when they enter and can be used to tip waitresses or pay for dances.

The state’s Department of Taxation and Finance determined that the currency was similar to an admission charge and subject to taxes. As a result, an audit determined the club needed to pay taxes on an estimated $24.8 million in executive dollar sales.

The club, however, wasn’t okay with this bill and challenged it. A judge ordered the owners to pay the taxes.

That’s when the case was sent to the state tribunal, where the club owners argued that “what is provided in its clubs is not entertainment, but rather a non-taxable service similar to a therapeutic massage conducted in a sensual manner or personal services provided by a sex therapist.”

https://consumerist.com/2017/05/08/strip-club-claimed-dancers-were-therapists-to-skirt-3-1m-in-state-taxes/
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Sounds like an accurate representation to me.

Offline Frank Cannon

Apparently they are no good at their therapy. Yelp only gives them 3 stars.

Offline andy58-in-nh

Therapists? Really??

For that I would expect at least 50 minutes on the couch. But I would prefer if we don't talk about my mother, okay doll?

"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
C'mon if they don't give it to the govt the govt employees won't have any expense money to pay for hookers.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
... nah, too easy.

geronl

creative criminals

did they get any ObamaCare subsidies?

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

I know this is a NY issue, but since it's a question of taxation they really need to send the Secret Service in to invest...

Never mind.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
creative criminals....

The government?

Wingnut

The Tribunal did not give the club owner a happy ending.

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
Its dancers were providing therapy to customers, and not just entertainment.

ther·a·py noun - treatment intended to relieve or heal a disorder

Well, where do I begin?  Probably the best place to start would be to examine the trauma caused by being subjected to American TV programming such as The Housewives of ______ fill in the blank.  They give us a first hour of nothing but a bunch of bitchy rich white women only to be followed up by the next hour, a bunch of bitchy rich black women.  That ain't right.

Then I can switch over to network sitcoms where the writers have such a lack of talent they swim in the gutter of sexual innuendo.  Or, I can pay extra and get Netflix or HBO to watch their series which actually do have plots, but are mainly about sex.

Therapy?  Hell yes, I'd say we need a big dose of therapy.  And just think, a guy can still go down to a strip club where a good old American dollar bill provides the exact same value it provided in 1973.  Now that's a bargain in my book.

Offline rodamala

When a guy spends 40 days straight working 16 to 18 hours a day in the oil fields of the Permian Basin, I can attest that my visit to the strip club the evening after my truck took a 9mm slug to the doorpost, 3 inches from my head, was both therapy AND a celebration of living.

Oceander

That's the end for the business owners.   Sales tax can be assessed personally against the owners even if the business is in a corporation, the interest rate in NY on unpaid sales tax is about 14%, and it can't be discharged in bankruptcy.