Author Topic: New York Attorney General: I'll sue if Senate passes ObamaCare repeal  (Read 360 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: THE HILL

URL: http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/332186-new-york-ag-warns-ill-sue-if-senate-passes-obamacare-repeal

BY JOHN BOWDEN

New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman (D) warned Congress on Friday that he would file a lawsuit to protect abortion rights if the Senate passes the House GOP's healthcare bill.

In an interview with CNN's Erin Burnett, Schneiderman attacked the bill, called the American Health Care Act, as "bad public policy."

"It doesn't protect people with pre-existing conditions, it will cost millions of people healthcare," he said.

Schneiderman said that the bill in its current form is unconstitutional due to attacks on "prohibited state funding."

"In a tricky way, [it] tries to wipe out Planned Parenthood," he said. "It's an effort to kill off Planned Parenthood, which would impose an undue burden on women's Constitutionally-protected rights."

The Senate is unlikely to pass the House's version of the bill. On Thursday, it was announced that a group of senators are working on their own version of the ObamaCare repeal.

It's unclear if the Senate version will include an attempt to defund Planned Parenthood.

"I hope it'll never become law, I hope we'll be able to save a lot of time and trouble and not have to bring this litigation," Schneiderman said.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 12:15:43 pm by SirLinksALot »