Author Topic: Puerto Rico to close 184 schools, save $7M amid crisis and growing exodus  (Read 258 times)

geronl

Two days after filing for a form of bankruptcy protection for its monumental $70 billion debt, Puerto Rico announced Friday it is closing 184 public schools.

Education Department spokeswoman Yolanda Rosaly said approximately 27,000 students will be moved elsewhere starting the next school year.

She said the move is expected to save more than $7 million to the bankrupt island, which is immersed in a deep economic crisis.

excerpt
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/05/05/puerto-rico-to-close-184-public-schools-amid-crisis.html

They are $70 Billion in debt and are closing schools to save $7 million. It seems designed to make the burden on the people as tough as possible for little reward. Sort of like shutting down parks and monuments in a "shut down" to make the people mad at the other party. I guess they want to put pressure on Trump and Congress to bail them out by doing stuff like this.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Got to be ultimate of incompetent territorial governments.

US taxpayers foot the bill for this gig, and they still go bankrupt?

Let these entitlement junkies make it as their own country.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

geronl

Got to be ultimate of incompetent territorial governments.

US taxpayers foot the bill for this gig, and they still go bankrupt?

They outspent their revenue for so long they finally botched it completely in 2006 by eliminating tax incentives for manufacturers, so the manufacturing left and so did a million Puerto Ricans (the smart ones).