Author Topic: The trouble with House health care bill for Senate Republicans  (Read 856 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Excerpt:

The trouble with House health care bill for Senate Republicans
    By ALI ROGIN   May 5, 2017, 1:53 PM ET

Conservative GOP Sens. Rand Paul of Kentucky, Mike Lee of Utah and Ted Cruz of Texas all tweeted after the original House bill’s introduction that they would oppose anything short of a full repeal of Obamacare. They also said the House bill's tax credit structure to help people pay for coverage amounted to a new entitlement, too similar to the subsidies available under Obamacare.

The latest House bill would provide tax credits between $2,000 and $14,000 a year for individuals who don’t get insurance coverage from an employer or the governments. The tax credits would be based on age instead of income, increasing as a person gets older.

After the House vote Thursday, Paul said he opposed the House bill because it guarantees “the fundamental promise of Obamacare kept.”

Cruz told ABC News earlier in the week that he still has “a number of concerns” about the bill, “and I think many senators do.”

Continued: http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trouble-house-health-care-bill-senate-republicans/story?id=47228994

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Re: The trouble with House health care bill for Senate Republicans
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 07:13:44 pm »
Well, that's the problem with the bill for those Republicans.  For other Republicans, the bill isn't liberal enough.  IF you don't have the votes, it doesn't matter if you're right.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 07:15:01 pm by TomSea »

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 11:55:18 pm »
Well, that's the problem with the bill for those Republicans.  For other Republicans, the bill isn't liberal enough.  IF you don't have the votes, it doesn't matter if you're right.

Exactly; with the RINO filled Senate, I don't give the House bill a snowball's chance.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 11:55:52 pm by libertybele »
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline corbe

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 12:18:13 am »

Link: https://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog/archives/2017/05/05/look-whos-in-charge-of-your-health-care-now-cotton-picked-for-one/

These 13 Senators will write the Senate version.

@TomSea I wish this were true but I feel McConnell is not gonna let Lee and/or Cruz anywhere near this renaming process, they'll be sniping from the outside, knowing their vote could be very important since Schumer's not letting anyone stray, so far.  My prediction is, it dies an inglorious death in the Senate, just like it's predecessor, obummercare, is imploding now. It will be a campaign issue, again in the coming Midterms.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 02:30:26 am »
   @TomSea I wish this were true but I feel McConnell is not gonna let Lee and/or Cruz anywhere near this renaming process, they'll be sniping from the outside, knowing their vote could be very important since Schumer's not letting anyone stray, so far.  My prediction is, it dies an inglorious death in the Senate, just like it's predecessor, obummercare, is imploding now. It will be a campaign issue, again in the coming Midterms.

McConnell may not let them near this process, but Paul and Cruz have already worked on a bill a long time ago and he will need their vote along with Lee's in order to get the thing passed. Meanwhile, both Murkowski and Collins are against defunding PP and Portman and Heller don't support the House bill at all.  Graham has stated that he is skeptical of a bill that was so rushed through. So, you very well maybe correct; it could die in the Senate.   Perhaps those running for re-election in '18 that would be a good thing...proclaiming they want full repeal!  Meanwhile ... those in the House running in '18 could have screwed themselves.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2017, 07:58:19 am »
Having the bill die in the Senate is exactly what the gop wants. The gop from the top down has learned that the best way to get elected is to tell their supporters exactly what they want to hear while knowing full well their promises have zero chance of eventually becoming legislation.

They have become expert at the blame game because it works to get them elected. As long as there is a bogey man they can blame whether it is the Dims, the House, the Senate, moderates, conservatives etc., they know the voters will continue elect them. Results mean nothing, principle is passe, political leadership is a quaint bygone concept that has not existed for two generations.

Election after election of the right voting for the lessor of two evils has doomed the country to a "liberal paradise" our Founders could have never imagined...

Offline rodamala

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2017, 08:20:28 am »
Having the bill die in the Senate is exactly what the gop wants. The gop from the top down has learned that the best way to get elected is to tell their supporters exactly what they want to hear while knowing full well their promises have zero chance of eventually becoming legislation.

They have become expert at the blame game because it works to get them elected. As long as there is a bogey man they can blame whether it is the Dims, the House, the Senate, moderates, conservatives etc., they know the voters will continue elect them. Results mean nothing, principle is passe, political leadership is a quaint bygone concept that has not existed for two generations.

Election after election of the right voting for the lessor of two evils has doomed the country to a "liberal paradise" our Founders could have never imagined...

I will never vote for a Republican again.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2017, 11:30:05 am »
I will never vote for a Republican again.

Which means you will vote either DEM, IND, 3rd party or not at all.  I have always been of the belief to vote for the best candidate for the position regardless of party.  Unfortunately, there have been too many times when there hasn't been a good candidate to fill a position.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2017, 11:47:16 am »

IMHO the House acted very hastily and pushed this bill through.  Every single one of them is up for re-election and just about every single one of them campaigned on REPEAL in which they didn't do; they only repealed parts of it.  They never voted on full repeal which was a mistake. The RINO's in the House did this on purpose; the DEMS are defending 23 seats in the Senate in '18 and in essence, just handed them a lifeline. I found it nauseating listening to Trump praise Ryan and Preibus.  Lies and more lies.  If it dies in the Senate it's going to cost the GOP seats.  IF it passes the Senate and it doesn't offer repeal, but keeps most of Bammycare it's going to cost the GOP seats.  Say good-bye to our majority. 
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 11:48:22 am by libertybele »