Author Topic: Mother Jones Pundit: Conservatives Who Call ESPN ‘Liberal’ Just Enjoy Feeling Like Victims  (Read 1120 times)

rangerrebew

Mother Jones Pundit: Conservatives Who Call ESPN ‘Liberal’ Just Enjoy Feeling Like Victims
By Tom Johnson | May 4, 2017 | 8:57 PM EDT

At one time officially, and since then unofficially, the “S” in “ESPN” stood for “sports,” and, according to Mother Jones blogger Kevin Drum, that’s entirely fitting. As for the frequent complaint from conservatives about the channel’s liberal bias, Drum says, “I don't really get it.”

“I'm not a heavy ESPN viewer, but I watch enough to have some sense of its political leaning,” wrote Drum in a Wednesday post. “And I haven't really discerned much. Mostly they seem to call games and then argue about whether Tom Brady can play football into his fifties. You know, sports stuff.”

Source URL: http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/tom-johnson/2017/05/04/mother-jones-pundit-conservatives-who-call-espn-liberal-just-enjoy

Oceander

So is there such a bias?

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
“I'm not a heavy ESPN viewer, but I watch enough to have some sense of its political leaning,” wrote Drum in a Wednesday post. “And I haven't really discerned much.

That makes absolutely zero sense.

It's not only conservatives claiming this.  The best evidence is what annoying ESPN lefty Jamele Hill said about it:

“If you’re a Republican or conservative, you feel the need to talk in whispers,” one conservative ESPN employee said. “There’s even a fear of putting Fox News on a TV [in the office].”

But Jemele Hill, co-host of ESPN2’s His & Hers, isn’t buying that. “I would challenge those people who say they feel suppressed,” she said. “Do you fear backlash, or do you fear right and wrong?

It's right there in black and white -- it's not bias because they're right.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 01:24:51 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline goatprairie

During the games, no. It's the sports comments shows Like PTI and the other various sports shows that reveal the heavy lib bias. Right after the Super Bowl when Beyonce did her disgraceful routine attacking the police,  PTI's Michael Wilbon spent a minute or two attacking anybody who called in question Beyonce's police-hating routine.  Co-host Tony Kornheiser meekly accepted Wilbon's unhinged tirade.
Jemele Hill and Michael Smith are well known for biased lib comments.
On other ESPN talk shows virtually every day one of the commenters starts accusing some American or America as racist, sexist, homophobic, or just plain evil.
But don't take my word for it (or the numerous quotes from ESPN media members).....watch some episodes yourself. I encourage people who are unaware of the heavy lib bias on ESPN to check them out.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Co-host Tony Kornheiser meekly accepted Wilbon's unhinged tirade.
Kornheiser is a big left winger himself.  If he bit his tongue, it wasn't to avoid criticizing Wilbon, but to not steal his thunder.

geronl

Only liberals are allowed to enjoy victimhood

Online mountaineer

Kornheiser is a big left winger himself.  If he bit his tongue, it wasn't to avoid criticizing Wilbon, but to not steal his thunder.
He and Wilbon (but mostly Kornheiser) played golf innumerable times with The Won during his White House occupation. Not surprising.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org