Author Topic: Here’s how an asteroid impact would kill you  (Read 877 times)

rangerrebew

Here’s how an asteroid impact would kill you
« on: May 04, 2017, 12:21:30 pm »
Here’s how an asteroid impact would kill you
Winds and shock waves are most deadly, computer simulations of 1.2 million hits suggest
By
Thomas Sumner
7:00am, May 2, 2017

It won’t be a tsunami. Nor an earthquake. Not even the crushing impact of the space rock. No, if an asteroid kills you, gusting winds and shock waves from falling and exploding space rocks will most likely be to blame. That’s one of the conclusions of a recent computer simulation effort that investigated the fatality risks of more than a million possible asteroid impacts.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/heres-how-asteroid-impact-would-kill-you
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 12:22:17 pm by rangerrebew »

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Here’s how an asteroid impact would kill you
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 12:36:37 pm »
Ejecta, shock waves, fires, global cooling (Oh yeah, that), food chain collapse, I'm too far inland for a tsunami unless its a real whopper, changes in axial tilt and growing seasons, and if you're lucky you are either far away and ready for anything or get a direct hit.

60 psi of overpressure=99% fatalities, so shock waves can be killers, but above 15 psi, most of the buildings will be flying debris and that will be even more dangerous.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Joe Wooten

Re: Here’s how an asteroid impact would kill you
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 08:51:52 pm »
The folks in Cheyenne Mountain might be able to survive anything less than a direct hit.......

Offline Suppressed

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn