Author Topic: India court upholds 2012 Delhi gang rapists' death penalty  (Read 691 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-39814910
India court upholds 2012 Delhi gang rapists' death penalty
India's Supreme Court has upheld the death sentences of four men convicted of the gang rape and murder of a student in Delhi.

Akshay Thakur, Vinay Sharma, Pawan Gupta and Mukesh were given the death penalty by a court in 2013.

Rejecting their appeal, Justice R Banumathi said the men committed "a barbaric crime" that had "shaken society's conscience".

The brutal gang rape led to nationwide outrage and and new anti-rape laws.

The 23-year-old physiotherapy student was attacked on a bus that she had boarded with her male friend as they returned home from watching a film in December 2012. Her friend was also beaten up
More at link.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-39814910
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: India court upholds 2012 Delhi gang rapists' death penalty
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 01:52:01 am »
Interesting that it took only one year from the time of the crime, to the final review of the case by the country's Supreme Court.

Why does it take so long here? If India can manage this, so can we.

In any case, hope that they get marched to their just rewards before too much longer.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 03:07:41 am »
Interesting that it took only one year from the time of the crime, to the final review of the case by the country's Supreme Court.

In any case, hope that they get marched to their just rewards before too much longer.
Our lawyers get paid by the hour (actually, they keep track of every tenth in these parts for billing purposes).

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 03:34:19 am »
Thank God. I lost sleep the last year over this.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 04:48:32 am »
Gee, Frank, I'd never have taken you for the sensitive type.... :silly:

C S Lewis

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 12:34:30 pm »
Gee, Frank, I'd never have taken you for the sensitive type.... :silly:

I know, right? I'm thinking it was merely some bad curry.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2017, 12:37:22 pm »

Likely due to the entrenched power of lawyers in this country.

Likely India is blessed with fewer who face reality instead of pontificating.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2017, 12:50:35 pm »

Yeah, one case, out of how many?   This doesn't scale to the level you seem to think it does.