Author Topic: Cordcutting Thread  (Read 93020 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Cordcutting Thread
« Reply #450 on: September 20, 2021, 06:51:56 pm »
Doesn't have the off-channels I like, like MeTv, Retro and Comet.   :shrug:

@Cyber Liberty

I get them with my RCA antenna,but it is local programming,and going to be different depending on where you live.

I have trouble with antenna TeeVee because the nearest big city is Las Vegas, and the signals from there are for shit.  Maybe I can get a better antenna?

My RCA antenna is a tiny little thing I have mounted to a steel pole in the ground outside my house. I can pull in around 43 channels with it,and it replaced an older antenna maybe 5x as large that only pulled in 5 channels.

To be honest,I had no idea all those channels even existed. I just bought and put up the RCA antenna because it only cost around 40 bucks from Amazon,and I wanted it to watch local news and weather. At the time I bought it,it was only rated to pull in channels from 40 miles away and the closest broadcast station to me was 48 miles away,so I took a chance and bought it anyway.

It is now rated at pulling in stations up to 70 miles away for $33.88,and 80 miles away for $99.99.

It is also Made in America,which is a big deal for me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024R4B5C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You might also want to buy a tuner for your antenna so you can record programs. This is the one I bought,and I freely admit I bought it because it was the cheapest one  at $39.99. Kinda clunky to operate,but the price was right.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I2ZBD1U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you want a "more evolved" tuner,there will be links to them at the page selling the one above. Truth to tell,I recommend spending a few more bucks to get one easier to operate.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 06:56:20 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #451 on: September 20, 2021, 07:02:13 pm »
OK. Here's my situation.  I have around 24MPS internet bandwidth available most of the time. ATT Uverse Bundled with digital landlines and Direct TV for television programing. Cost is $200+ per month)

There are three TVs, several computers, and smart devices in use here wirelessly connected.

In the near future it is likely that I will be able to have fiber service (100MPS for $69 per month)

1. What is my best option for replacing direct TV in my current situation?

2. Should I forget that and wait for the fiber?

3. What would be my best option (least costly) for replacing the programming I currently get from direct TV?  I do not want to have subscriptions for multiple streaming services and do not want to put up an antenna to get local channels.

@roamer_1  @Cyber Liberty Anyone

A ROKU player,and the do dah I recommended above for antenna tv,along with the RCA antenna. If you are further away from local stations than 100 miles,just put it up on a long metal pole antenna. I say "metal pole" because that will ground it and protect you from lightening strikes.

https://www.roku.com/products

This is the ROKU home page. You can also buy pretty much all of it from Amazon for roughly the same price,but it's easier to look over all your player options on the company home page than it is to jump around on URL's.

PM me if you want more.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #452 on: September 20, 2021, 07:10:23 pm »
I never did DirectTV... :shrug:

@Cyber Liberty

Well,they weren't too bad if you didn't know what you were doing or what your options are.  I saved over 100 bucks a month when I dropped my sat services and went to my ROKU and an antenna. The ROKU is powered through your wi-fi connection.

Not only did I save over 100 bucks a month,I literally got a thousand or more extra channels. Granted,I wouldn't watch most of them at gun point,but that's where I get Brit Box from,as well as a dozen or more excellent channels I watch off and on.

I get Amazon videos for free because I am an Amazon subscriber. I consider it free even though I make a payment on it once a year because I was paying that much when I had sat tv,and couldn't get any of the Amazon channels.

The truth is most of what I watch I can get from either Netflix or Amazon. There are occasionally series I want to watch that I  don't normally get,so I take that channels free 30 day trial and binge watch the series and then kill my subscription.

I binge watch most things I watch anyhow,so this is not a problem for me. Binge watching MI-5 now from Brit Box (which I subscribe to) and am up to season 9 now. My memory sucks from chemo,so I do better when I don't have to wait a week or more for the  next episode to air.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #453 on: September 20, 2021, 07:43:23 pm »
I was Dish Network user for a lotta years. I know ATT really pushes Direct TV. I get my internet and phone via ATT, but no TV. I used a WDTV Live box for many years, but now I use a ROKU. Over all the years, I always owned all the equipment, so I couldn't be charged monthly equipment charges. They are all DLNA compliant boxes now, except whatever Apple customers use. I have an amplified TV antenna that brings in lots of local channels that I really only use for sports. There are so many streaming channels via internet, it really comes down to price and/or channel selection. For the newer movies, I P2P download them.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #454 on: September 20, 2021, 08:03:52 pm »
I was Dish Network user for a lotta years. I know ATT really pushes Direct TV. I get my internet and phone via ATT, but no TV. I used a WDTV Live box for many years, but now I use a ROKU. Over all the years, I always owned all the equipment, so I couldn't be charged monthly equipment charges. They are all DLNA compliant boxes now, except whatever Apple customers use. I have an amplified TV antenna that brings in lots of local channels that I really only use for sports. There are so many streaming channels via internet, it really comes down to price and/or channel selection. For the newer movies, I P2P download them.

My big concern at the moment is do I have enough bandwidth to enable me to use a streaming service w/o affecting my ability to use the internet.

My electric coop is in the process of getting fiber to my area and say that they will offer an internet, TV, phone bundle. I'll likely wait and see what that entails and its cost before I make any moves.
@Elderberry
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online roamer_1

« Reply #455 on: September 20, 2021, 08:21:50 pm »
OK. Here's my situation.  I have around 24MPS internet bandwidth available most of the time. ATT Uverse Bundled with digital landlines and Direct TV for television programing. Cost is $200+ per month)

There are three TVs, several computers, and smart devices in use here wirelessly connected.

In the near future it is likely that I will be able to have fiber service (100MPS for $69 per month)

Now is EXACTLY the time for experimentation, Providing you have enough bandwidth for streaming reasonably, which you barely do.

IF you do, and are satisfactorily accommodated otherwise, why wait? And there will be an interim period where you are uncomfortable with the new thing, but right now you can become comfortable without messing up what you are used to... When you become acclimatized to the new thing, THEN kick DirectTV to the curb, and good riddance.

3. What would be my best option (least costly) for replacing the programming I currently get from direct TV?  I do not want to have subscriptions for multiple streaming services and do not want to put up an antenna to get local channels.

Well, certainly an external antenna if it will do you any good. You are up high as I recall, so you are likely to be able to catch digital transmissions pretty easy. Talk to your neighbors and see what actually comes in and which antennas work where you are to understand the value and expectations before the fact - Since you are higher than your neighbors, you will likely be guaranteed to do it better than them.

Secondly, ROKU. A decent add-on ROKU device (providing your TV is HDMI capable, any modern flat screen is) runs about 75 bucks, and can be free thereafter (you can do paid subscriptions through it, but don't need to).

And finally, and most importantly, an experiment: With any computer or internet device, start exploring online. I can recommend PeacockTV, IMDB TV, which is a free extension of Amazon Prime, and PLUTOTV , USTVGO, and Crackle with lesser recommendation.

Use a browser you don't normally use - If you normally use firefox, then use Chrome instead or Edge... Use the bookmark toolbar in that browser to allow for easy navigation to the places you find and frequent... You can find nearly anything direct from the internet for FREE (if you don't mind a little legal hacking anyway).

The ultimate purpose of this experiment would be to find a cheap used computer and attach it to your TV(s)... Once you have a Windows desktop on your TV, anything you have done from your computer can be exactly replicated on your TV.

Look, I am a YOUTUBE freak. Most of my entertainment is on YT and Rumble. Conventional 'TV' is ancillary anymore. But I DO go to Peacock and IMDB ALOT. and to the others I mentioned upon occasion. and I do use ROKU a bit. But if you are like me, once you overcome your thumb-to-clicker addiction, you will find ala carte to be far superior. I would not go back to programmed TV even if they paid me.

So be aware that your preferences may change, and be open to that.

The upshot being, I may be hardware heavy (3 tvs, so 3 computers, and one roku), but the cost of the used computers was negligible - a used 5-10 year old machine will work fine and cost almost nothing. But I can pay for a station (less the actual TV) for less than I used to pay for cable for two months.... And mostly just about for nothing.

The only subscription I pay for is Netflix. I have Amazon Prime too, because I needed it for shipping anyway. the rest, and I would say the majority by a ways, is FREE tv and youtube/Rumble/Bitchute/etc.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 08:23:15 pm by roamer_1 »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #456 on: September 20, 2021, 08:42:07 pm »
My big concern at the moment is do I have enough bandwidth to enable me to use a streaming service w/o affecting my ability to use the internet.

That's easy to prove @Bigun ... With one internet connected device, go to Youtube, search 'free HD movies', and pick one and start it playing. Then use another device and see if your internet is impacted greatly. It really is not the bandwidth as much as the latency. If you have good wire and switches running to your house 24MBPS is sufficient (barely). If you are getting a ton of hourglass on the movie, or a ton of drag on the surfing on the other box, then your sufficiency may not be suffonsified, and there is no cause to move further.

My electric coop is in the process of getting fiber to my area and say that they will offer an internet, TV, phone bundle. I'll likely wait and see what that entails and its cost before I make any moves. [/size]@Elderberry

You might check out StarLink if it is available to you... It is a rage up in here with the hillbillies. Reliably 80mbps from what I hear, and often 100-120... YMMV...

You have to throw 500 bucks for the equipment, but thereafter, pretty decent internet broadband for 100 a month with no caps. That will get you where you want to go, even if your Ph/cable company is dragging their feet.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #457 on: September 20, 2021, 09:42:14 pm »
Now is EXACTLY the time for experimentation, Providing you have enough bandwidth for streaming reasonably, which you barely do.

IF you do, and are satisfactorily accommodated otherwise, why wait? And there will be an interim period where you are uncomfortable with the new thing, but right now you can become comfortable without messing up what you are used to... When you become acclimatized to the new thing, THEN kick DirectTV to the curb, and good riddance.

Well, certainly an external antenna if it will do you any good. You are up high as I recall, so you are likely to be able to catch digital transmissions pretty easy. Talk to your neighbors and see what actually comes in and which antennas work where you are to understand the value and expectations before the fact - Since you are higher than your neighbors, you will likely be guaranteed to do it better than them.

Secondly, ROKU. A decent add-on ROKU device (providing your TV is HDMI capable, any modern flat screen is) runs about 75 bucks, and can be free thereafter (you can do paid subscriptions through it, but don't need to).

And finally, and most importantly, an experiment: With any computer or internet device, start exploring online. I can recommend PeacockTV, IMDB TV, which is a free extension of Amazon Prime, and PLUTOTV , USTVGO, and Crackle with lesser recommendation.

Use a browser you don't normally use - If you normally use firefox, then use Chrome instead or Edge... Use the bookmark toolbar in that browser to allow for easy navigation to the places you find and frequent... You can find nearly anything direct from the internet for FREE (if you don't mind a little legal hacking anyway).

The ultimate purpose of this experiment would be to find a cheap used computer and attach it to your TV(s)... Once you have a Windows desktop on your TV, anything you have done from your computer can be exactly replicated on your TV.

Look, I am a YOUTUBE freak. Most of my entertainment is on YT and Rumble. Conventional 'TV' is ancillary anymore. But I DO go to Peacock and IMDB ALOT. and to the others I mentioned upon occasion. and I do use ROKU a bit. But if you are like me, once you overcome your thumb-to-clicker addiction, you will find ala carte to be far superior. I would not go back to programmed TV even if they paid me.

So be aware that your preferences may change, and be open to that.

The upshot being, I may be hardware heavy (3 tvs, so 3 computers, and one roku), but the cost of the used computers was negligible - a used 5-10 year old machine will work fine and cost almost nothing. But I can pay for a station (less the actual TV) for less than I used to pay for cable for two months.... And mostly just about for nothing.

The only subscription I pay for is Netflix. I have Amazon Prime too, because I needed it for shipping anyway. the rest, and I would say the majority by a ways, is FREE tv and youtube/Rumble/Bitchute/etc.

Thanks @roamer_1

I also have Prime and that seems to stream with no problems.

I think I'll just wait a bit longer and see what my potential fiber provider comes up with as a package before making any big moves.  Shouldn't be more than a few weeks.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #458 on: September 20, 2021, 09:52:48 pm »
Thanks @roamer_1

I think I'll just wait a bit longer and see what my potential fiber provider comes up with as a package before making any big moves.  Shouldn't be more than a few weeks.

I have a Fire stick with Prime (actually I have....4), and I can get Live TV channels.  Most require an account somewhere, like Sling or Fubo.  OANN is one that does not.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #459 on: September 20, 2021, 09:59:00 pm »
I have a Fire stick with Prime (actually I have....4), and I can get Live TV channels.  Most require an account somewhere, like Sling or Fubo.  OANN is one that does not.

You need one for each TV I suppose. Is that correct?

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #460 on: September 20, 2021, 10:23:36 pm »
Bigun wrote:
"My electric coop is in the process of getting fiber to my area and say that they will offer an internet, TV, phone bundle. I'll likely wait and see what that entails and its cost before I make any moves."

I'm thinking that may be a better deal than the other services offer.

Back when I had ATT (and later Frontier) Uverse, it all came in (internet/tv/phone) over the copper-based landline. I was getting only about 3-4mbps, service was ok (almost never down), but Frontier kept jacking the bill up, up, up (again, for only 3.5mbps).

So I switched over to Comcast cable. BIG increase in internet speed almost immediately up to 90mbps. TV wasn't quite as good, but still ok. Phone service was "like it was before" (don't make many calls here). BUT... the price was A LOT lower.

In recent months (after my 2-year "introductory rate" ended), Comcast has jacked up the price so that it's almost as high as was Frontier. BUT... internet speeds have gone way WAY up. Just ran Speedtest as I typed this, and got 939mbps (almost a gig).

Frontier has been installing fiber optic, and they claim they're going to provide 1gb service as well. BUT... unlike the days of Uverse, I think the fiber WON'T carry the tv signal. Instead, subscribers will have to get it via Dish Network or something like that. Not interested.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #461 on: September 20, 2021, 10:51:50 pm »

My electric coop is in the process of getting fiber to my area and say that they will offer an internet, TV, phone bundle. I'll likely wait and see what that entails and its cost before I make any moves.
@Elderberry
I have seen multiple streaming devices used on a 100 Mbps connection. If you are just using one, 25 Mbps should suffice, and 100 Mbps will be plenty.

Most streaming services do use dynamic bit rates. If you try to stream over a narrower bandwidth than full HD, you might get bumped down to lower resolution.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #462 on: September 20, 2021, 10:56:31 pm »
Doesn't have the off-channels I like, like MeTv, Retro and Comet.   :shrug:

I have trouble with antenna TeeVee because the nearest big city is Las Vegas, and the signals from there are for shit.  Maybe I can get a better antenna?

Oh well....no more Svengoolie for me.  :crying:
I don't know your exact location or topography, but if you're fairly distant from the city—and not in a huge mountain range that would block the signals—I would recommend, at least, a directional antenna with a preamplifier. The higher you can mount it, the better.

Comet is available on the Stirr app, which I know is on Roku and pretty much every other streaming platform.

Retro has some content online but their online feed has only about a quarter of their over-the-air content, and it's the stuff widely available elsewhere (public domain stuff that their owners don't have to clear the rights to show).

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #463 on: September 20, 2021, 10:57:51 pm »
I never did DirectTV... :shrug:
Many years ago, my parents tried DirecTV when I was a kid. This was back when it was new. We had it for about a year. I guess we decided it wasn't worth it.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #464 on: September 20, 2021, 10:59:21 pm »

@roamer_1  @Cyber Liberty Anyone
Well, as far as replacing content... you have to decide what you want. Most services don't provide everything. Judging by comments you've made in the past, you don't watch a lot of sports content—which means you're going to save a LOT of money, because that's usually the most expensive part of the package.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #465 on: September 21, 2021, 01:56:06 pm »

You need one for each TV I suppose. Is that correct?

Yes, that's correct.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #466 on: September 21, 2021, 01:59:33 pm »
Well, as far as replacing content... you have to decide what you want. Most services don't provide everything. Judging by comments you've made in the past, you don't watch a lot of sports content—which means you're going to save a LOT of money, because that's usually the most expensive part of the package.

Thanks @jmyrlefuller

Useful information.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #467 on: September 21, 2021, 01:59:59 pm »
Yes, that's correct.

Thanks! The number of choices is truly bewildering but all need more bandwidth than I currently have available it seems.

I'm gonna wait and see what my fiber provider has to offer before I do anything else.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 02:03:55 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online roamer_1

« Reply #468 on: September 21, 2021, 05:45:50 pm »
Thanks @roamer_1

@Bigun
Prime is quite representative of the streaming experience - If you are satisfied with Prime, you will likely be similarly satisfied with all the streaming options.

Broadband cable will likely make it more responsive, and may automate toward higher resolutions, but mostly, it will give you the ability for multiple streams without interrupting normal internet perusals.

Suits me fine. But if I were you, I'd get your feet wet with it a little bit. It costs you nothing to mess with the free stuff... An HDMI cable and a laptop and you've got it on the bigscreen TV. Pretty easy stuff.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #469 on: January 06, 2022, 11:17:12 pm »
Update: Fiber internet hooked up today. Downloads 400MPS Uploads 300MPS. ROKU will be here on the 10th.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #470 on: January 06, 2022, 11:54:32 pm »
Update: Fiber internet hooked up today. Downloads 400MPS Uploads 300MPS. ROKU will be here on the 10th.
Congrats on your expanding universe and plethora of options.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #471 on: January 06, 2022, 11:58:36 pm »
Congrats on your expanding universe and plethora of options.

Yeah! It's actually a bewildering list of options.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #472 on: January 10, 2022, 11:07:29 pm »
ROKU is hooked up and working on one TV.  I haven't had much time to play with it yet but I like what I see so far!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 11:08:34 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #473 on: January 12, 2022, 09:20:20 pm »
ROKU is hooked up and working on one TV.  I haven't had much time to play with it yet but I like what I see so far!

Good choice. I have Apple TV and Roku and prefer Roku. The cheap options even has voice search to make it easy.

Online WhatWouldReaganDo

« Reply #474 on: July 17, 2022, 06:15:45 pm »
Just got a ROKU yesterday and am working through my options.
Are there any channels you highly recommend? And did you find any of the 'local news' channels worthwhile?
Down the centuries, you have slurred the meaning of the words, "We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty, to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution". These words and the words that follow, were not written only for the Yangs, but for the Kohms as well! They must apply to everyone, or they mean nothing! - James Tiberius Kirk