General Category > General Discussion

Cordcutting Thread

<< < (89/105) > >>

BassWrangler:

--- Quote from: Smokin Joe on June 12, 2021, 08:23:16 am ---Thanks for the advice. Keeping in mind that we don't all have the setup you do, what would you recommend for backup/recovery?

--- End quote ---

Backblaze. My wife and I both have it on our computers. My wife's laptop SSD failed, and I was able to go download the backup from Backblaze and she didn't lose anything. The house could burn to the ground and we'd still have her data.

For an offline solution, you can buy a hard drive dock and two drives (SSD are a good choice here too) and periodically back up to the drive and swap it out with the other one stored offsite somewhere (safety deposit box, for example). An alternative to the dock is just to buy two USB-3 enclosures and two SSD, and backup to and swap those.

If you just want to backup important documents, don't have hundreds of gigabytes of photos or other stuff, the free services like OneDrive or Dropbox are an option. But I prefer Backblaze because it gets everything except the stuff I tell it not to back up.

jmyrlefuller:

--- Quote from: jmyrlefuller on June 12, 2021, 12:07:56 am ---The most durable laptop I've ever owned was the Asus Eee PC, which I don't even know if they make that brand anymore. It was one of the last of the XP computers when I bought it in 2010 and if not for that, I'd probably still be using it. It's still sitting in a drawer somewhere (again, the screen was damaged).

--- End quote ---
On  a side note:

I pulled that Asus out of storage last night. I had backed up some of my files from even older desktops (including one that ran Windows 95!) on the Asus's internal hard drive. After some finagling to run the video output to the external port, wouldn't you know it? The darn thing DOES still work, and just as well as it did! It was fun going through all the old stuff I had saved on it; old programming projects, photos (which I promptly transferred to the black-box hard drive), music I had transcribed to MIDI... old comedy sketches I'd done as a teenager!

roamer_1:

--- Quote from: jmyrlefuller on July 06, 2021, 11:28:28 am --- On  a side note:

I pulled that Asus out of storage last night. I had backed up some of my files from even older desktops (including one that ran Windows 95!) on the Asus's internal hard drive. After some finagling to run the video output to the external port, wouldn't you know it? The darn thing DOES still work, and just as well as it did! It was fun going through all the old stuff I had saved on it; old programming projects, photos (which I promptly transferred to the black-box hard drive), music I had transcribed to MIDI... old comedy sketches I'd done as a teenager!

--- End quote ---

I had a stripped down eeepc as a test bed machine for years... It finally ended up doing nothing but setting up routers and testing/bridging modems... I finally scrapped it because I couldn't kill it. Surprising performance from a bang-for-buck box. But then, I like ASUS generally or did... Been one of three boards I have supported all the way along (ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte). I spend most of my time on business class HP these days.

Cyber Liberty:
Arrrrgh!  Locast is shut down, where I'd been getting local TV channel feeds.  Are there any suggestions?

sneakypete:

--- Quote from: Cyber Liberty on September 02, 2021, 06:12:33 pm ---Arrrrgh!  Locast is shut down, where I'd been getting local TV channel feeds.  Are there any suggestions?

--- End quote ---

@Cyber Liberty

Buy an antenna. I have a 40 dollar RCA outside antenna that MIGHT weigh 3 lbs that picks up 40+ broadcast stations,and the closest one is almost 50 miles away. Had tv channels back in the pre-sat days,and only thought there were a total of 5 channels.

I have mine hooked to my ROKU so I can catch local news and weather. I also like to watch the old black and white oldies like the original "Twilight Zone" and "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" on it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version