Author Topic: Cordcutting Thread  (Read 91822 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: Cordcutting Thread
« Reply #425 on: June 06, 2021, 10:46:14 pm »
When my wife loses her multitude of Roku remotes, I control it from my Cell.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #426 on: June 06, 2021, 10:54:00 pm »
@Sighlass

Said all that and forgot what I meant to say in the first place - If you have a box wired to the TV that is signed into your browser sync (all three major browsers have a sync acct), any password that is in your laptop will also be in the media machine... So you can sign right on into that Amazon or Netflix account... Worst case, call your sis the first time you do, as they may mail her because it is a 'new' device trying to access, and she may need to approve.

That browser sync is pretty cool for passing everything between your devices. Any device I have, from my phone to my tablet, or my notebook, or any of my many machines can access everything the very same.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #427 on: June 06, 2021, 10:56:48 pm »

That's one of the bad things about the divorce. When the clicker's gone, I got no one to blame but me.
But then, now the clicker is never gone.  happy77

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #428 on: June 08, 2021, 01:34:07 am »
@roamer_1

Lol, it must hurt to see folks like me still running XP.... must admit, I have started to look around for a new computer. Did keep in mind your love of HP and see a lot of refurbished ones for sale.... I will one day rejoin the modern world... (but can't promise)...

P.S. thanks for the advice on your setup... not sure I will get that tech, but if I do, will probable get a setup with a freaking DvD player in it too, since over the years (and years and years) I have just burned all those movies I "borrowed" off the web (Mp4 and other formats), so I have about 300 or more DvDs with 4-7 movies on each of them.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Online roamer_1

« Reply #429 on: June 08, 2021, 03:08:26 am »
@roamer_1

Lol, it must hurt to see folks like me still running XP.... must admit, I have started to look around for a new computer. Did keep in mind your love of HP and see a lot of refurbished ones for sale.... I will one day rejoin the modern world... (but can't promise)...

P.S. thanks for the advice on your setup... not sure I will get that tech, but if I do, will probable get a setup with a freaking DvD player in it too, since over the years (and years and years) I have just burned all those movies I "borrowed" off the web (Mp4 and other formats), so I have about 300 or more DvDs with 4-7 movies on each of them.

Man, @Sighlass ... If you can keep them old dogs running, you can sure enough find an old win7 box or two for free in somebody's basement or closet, or for a few bucks at yard sales... I find em all the time. for nothing! and ANYTHING is going to be better than what you have by an order of magnitude...

Now, I know I am in the biz, but really, every business and every house dang near all of them, have a pile of old computers that busted somehow and they went and got another... Often there is nothing wrong that a reload won't fix... Often all they need is a hard drive or a vid or network card.... If you can't find an easy one, soon enough you'll have enough laying around for a frankenpooter.

Shoot, I will often walk off from some business closet somewhere with 5 or 6 machines to haul away - They PAY ME to haul em off. And most of em are fine.

If it is a decent Win7 box (hopefully Win7Pro), capable of an i5 or better cpu, 8 to 16 gigs of ram,SATA and PCIe, that's a plenty sweet ride for what you are doing. And they upgrade for free to Win10. Maybe you get lucky and find onboard HDMI and internal N series wireless... That's asking some, but who knows?

Keep your peepers out for em... Let folks know you are looking. Shoot, there's probably several to be had among your church fellowship. Hunt the yard sales and Sally Ann's... You know the game, I am sure. Surely you know a redneck geek down there, or one of your nephews or cousins that is handy that way...

As to the DVD thing, I still have a blue-ray in my main media box, and the one in the guest bedroom too - But they are incidentally present for a possible redbox rental, which you and me both know is never going to happen.

As to my library, that is all committed to hard drives now and has been for a decade. I don't think I have a CD or DVD left in the place.  :shrug:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #430 on: June 08, 2021, 04:08:43 am »

@Elderberry

The newest ROKU has a remote that beeps to let you know where it is when you are looking for it. All you have to do is ask your ROKU "Where the bleep is my bleeping bleeping remote?",and it will start beeping so you can go beat it for getting lost.

Ain't technology a great thing?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #431 on: June 08, 2021, 06:18:52 am »
I watched a Christian documentary.... really hit home some of the Southern Baptist doctrine changes that are taking place with the people in power. Very eye opening what the left will do to place themselves in power....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zoe6tNmRyk
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #432 on: June 08, 2021, 10:22:59 am »
I watched a Christian documentary.... really hit home some of the Southern Baptist doctrine changes that are taking place with the people in power. Very eye opening what the left will do to place themselves in power....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zoe6tNmRyk
They've been trying to do in the Roman Catholics for decades.
A number of other denominations have been compromised.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #433 on: June 08, 2021, 02:06:15 pm »
They've been trying to do in the Roman Catholics for decades.
A number of other denominations have been compromised.

They've been successful with the RC Church, too.  Look at the "Pope."  The Cards elected a Liberation Theology Jesuit from Argentina, so many RCs are now saying their Pope is no longer Catholic.  Electing the out-and-out communist as Pope has shaken the Membership to the core and split the Curch.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #434 on: June 12, 2021, 12:07:56 am »
@roamer_1

Re: computer brands

I've had pretty good success with an HP. I have an HP laptop that so far has lasted me three years. The only problem was entirely my fault (smashing the screen, forcing me to run everything through the HDMI port and an external monitor, turning it into a desktop).

The most durable laptop I've ever owned was the Asus Eee PC, which I don't even know if they make that brand anymore. It was one of the last of the XP computers when I bought it in 2010 and if not for that, I'd probably still be using it. It's still sitting in a drawer somewhere (again, the screen was damaged).

Whatever you do, dude, don't get a Dell. They frequently break, wear down, and all in all don't last very long. I bought one for college on a three-year warranty and you would not believe the laundry list of times I had to go get it repaired for some problem or another.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online roamer_1

« Reply #435 on: June 12, 2021, 12:20:59 am »
Re: computer brands

I've had pretty good success with an HP. I have an HP laptop that so far has lasted me three years. The only problem was entirely my fault (smashing the screen, forcing me to run everything through the HDMI port and an external monitor, turning it into a desktop).

The most durable laptop I've ever owned was the Asus Eee PC, which I don't even know if they make that brand anymore. It was one of the last of the XP computers when I bought it in 2010 and if not for that, I'd probably still be using it. It's still sitting in a drawer somewhere (again, the screen was damaged).

Whatever you do, dude, don't get a Dell. They frequently break, wear down, and all in all don't last very long. I bought one for college on a three-year warranty and you would not believe the laundry list of times I had to go get it repaired for some problem or another.

Durability in laptops... Right now I am on an HP Elitebook running an i7 and 16g or ram. Has a front SSD 240g, and a 2T rear drive (I took out the DVD and put a HDD there, so two hard drives).... 17" large form factor laptop.

One of the things you find out in business class laptops, they are WAY more durable (this one is in a stainless steel body) and way more configurable/update-able, having none of the low ram limitations (as an instance) of consumer products.

And that reaches right across the board - Doesn't matter if it is HP, Lenovo, Dell, etc... And the same in desktops - My whole herd is HP business class except for a lonely Dell (business class) that is my main media server and runs my main TV.

If you want good, long-lasting equipment, go business class. HP is a great contender, but any of them will do pretty well. Even used - This very machine can be found end of lease refurbed for 4 hundred and some. If a feller only has 500 to spend, I would rather see you get solid refurbs than mess with consumer grade.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 12:24:01 am by roamer_1 »

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #436 on: June 12, 2021, 02:31:13 am »
Durability in laptops... Right now I am on an HP Elitebook running an i7 and 16g or ram. Has a front SSD 240g, and a 2T rear drive (I took out the DVD and put a HDD there, so two hard drives).... 17" large form factor laptop.

One of the things you find out in business class laptops, they are WAY more durable (this one is in a stainless steel body) and way more configurable/update-able, having none of the low ram limitations (as an instance) of consumer products.

And that reaches right across the board - Doesn't matter if it is HP, Lenovo, Dell, etc... And the same in desktops - My whole herd is HP business class except for a lonely Dell (business class) that is my main media server and runs my main TV.

If you want good, long-lasting equipment, go business class. HP is a great contender, but any of them will do pretty well. Even used - This very machine can be found end of lease refurbed for 4 hundred and some. If a feller only has 500 to spend, I would rather see you get solid refurbs than mess with consumer grade.
I'm running an HP Elitebook with an I5 and 8 MB. Got the itch to back up my files a little while back, so I did, just copied as much of the machine as would go into a remote drive. The very next boot up, no go.
The drive died. I took it to a friend who does this stuff, and he threw in a SSD and recovered purt'near everything from the old drive from the backup I made just on the spur of the moment.

With the SSD it is noticeably faster, and now I don't have to worry as much about bumps. I've been running it (bought refurbed) for three years now. The first thing I'd recommend is replacing the drive with the solid state one, and then max out the memory, just to get the best performance out of it.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #437 on: June 12, 2021, 04:12:45 am »
With the SSD it is noticeably faster, and now I don't have to worry as much about bumps. I've been running it (bought refurbed) for three years now. The first thing I'd recommend is replacing the drive with the solid state one, and then max out the memory, just to get the best performance out of it.

Absolutely on both counts. In fact, if you have an old machine, the very BEST way to get an eyebrow raising difference is replacing the drive with an SSD... Then RAM, and then upgrade the wifi/net... pretty much in that order.

But one caution: Back up. SSDs work, and then they don't. when they leave, they are pretty much gone. I seldom recover anything from a non-working SSD. And when SMART tells you they are reaching their write limit, don't dawdle. Take it very seriously.

The part of your tale that matters is your poorly regimented backup. If that didn't teach you, I can turn my collar
around. In the end, backup is everything.

Even (or maybe even more) when traveling (which you tend to be) you need some bulletproof means in place.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #438 on: June 12, 2021, 08:23:16 am »
Absolutely on both counts. In fact, if you have an old machine, the very BEST way to get an eyebrow raising difference is replacing the drive with an SSD... Then RAM, and then upgrade the wifi/net... pretty much in that order.

But one caution: Back up. SSDs work, and then they don't. when they leave, they are pretty much gone. I seldom recover anything from a non-working SSD. And when SMART tells you they are reaching their write limit, don't dawdle. Take it very seriously.

The part of your tale that matters is your poorly regimented backup. If that didn't teach you, I can turn my collar
around. In the end, backup is everything.

Even (or maybe even more) when traveling (which you tend to be) you need some bulletproof means in place.
Thanks for the advice. Keeping in mind that we don't all have the setup you do, what would you recommend for backup/recovery?

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #439 on: June 12, 2021, 11:15:06 am »
Thanks for the advice. Keeping in mind that we don't all have the setup you do, what would you recommend for backup/recovery?

If you are at home, and you have multiple machines, network access between them is KEY. Pick one that is to be 'Always On' And use that to serve the other machines... One of the things to serve, is as a place that is always there that all the other machines back up to.

I actually have two 'Always On' machines - One that is my file and backup server, and one that is my Media server. Since they are BOTH always on, one doing business stuff, and the other doing media stuff - they back up between themselves too - So I have a native backup, twice replicated onsite.

Something similar, but on a smaller scale would be an always on NAS or USB storage space - Both basically the same thing, one being a direct network appliance (probably faster and more bandwidth), and the one I will touch on here briefly, which is a standard USB external hard drive. Most modern routers have a USB port on them, and that is what it is for... To receive an exernal hard drive that will always be on, and will always be accessible from the local network.

With that in mind, with either a machine, or an appliance that is always on, any machine attached to your local LAN can have an automated means of backup, because when the backup program runs, the target location is sure to be there. You get the idea.

I am not a fan of imaging software for backup uses... It seems efficient, but the problem is, the entire backup is in a single file, and if that file is damaged, all of the backup is effected. If it is a raw copy software, every file in the backup routine is simply copied to the target location... If you get damage, you may lose some files,but not the whole thing. The native Windows backup solution is like an image - it is rather, a container file more like zip, but the same problem applies. Don't get me wrong, it is better than nothing, sure, but a raw file copier would serve you better.

I am still using Cobian even though it is not in development and has been sold... Cobian 'Gravity' the last version of the original program is still available and I really can find nothing better. And it is free, btw.

Another thing to consider for critical data - Now critical being a small subset, small enough to comfortably fit in what I am talking about - is the use of Microsoft's native cloud system... It is complicated if one desires not to log your machine onto microsoft every time and retain a local user (which is what you want), but if you have a Microsoft mail account, your machines can use something kinda like a roaming profile from Microsoft's cloud. I use this to keep my main desktop and my main laptop synchronized. That is everything in the profile - many Windows settings, desktop background, and three primary file locations : Desktop, Documents, and Pictures are kept sync'd between them always using Microsofts OneDrive...

This would be recommended for you, if you have lightweight critical data on the road - Because every time you log in to internet somewhere, those files are pumped up into the internet, and if your desktop at home is online all the time, automatically sync'd to your home from wherever you are. It is not worth it, at least to me, for backing my whole backup, but if you can manage with the free stuff you get with a Microsoft email account, Or better yet, if you are using an Office 365 subscription already (which gives you way more space to work with) This is hard to beat.

Also, both at home and on the road, I will return to a USB external drive - The same backup software can back up on demand too - Which means you can plug in a drive and manually run a backup job, and then unplug the drive when it is done... Nice to have a backup that is offline in case of some electrical failure or fire or whatnot... Grab the family Bible and the external drive and get the hell out... Especially on the road, where a daily backup to an external is an immediate and local-to-you backup regardless of cloud tricks and the vagaries of access to it.

And depending on your weight, don't forget thumb drives. If you have USB3 on your laptop, a USB3 thumb is a sufficient and highly portable solution. And they are getting huge and cheap. A 128g thumb is what, maybe fifty bucks? If you can live in that, it is way cheaper than an external drive of average size.

I will stop there and call it good. If any of it sounds like something you want to play with, I am always around to help out... or even write something up that is a little more grandular, if there is a demand.

BassWrangler

« Reply #440 on: June 12, 2021, 03:02:48 pm »

Backblaze. My wife and I both have it on our computers. My wife's laptop SSD failed, and I was able to go download the backup from Backblaze and she didn't lose anything. The house could burn to the ground and we'd still have her data.

For an offline solution, you can buy a hard drive dock and two drives (SSD are a good choice here too) and periodically back up to the drive and swap it out with the other one stored offsite somewhere (safety deposit box, for example). An alternative to the dock is just to buy two USB-3 enclosures and two SSD, and backup to and swap those.

If you just want to backup important documents, don't have hundreds of gigabytes of photos or other stuff, the free services like OneDrive or Dropbox are an option. But I prefer Backblaze because it gets everything except the stuff I tell it not to back up.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 03:05:03 pm by BassWrangler »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #441 on: July 06, 2021, 11:28:28 am »
On  a side note:

I pulled that Asus out of storage last night. I had backed up some of my files from even older desktops (including one that ran Windows 95!) on the Asus's internal hard drive. After some finagling to run the video output to the external port, wouldn't you know it? The darn thing DOES still work, and just as well as it did! It was fun going through all the old stuff I had saved on it; old programming projects, photos (which I promptly transferred to the black-box hard drive), music I had transcribed to MIDI... old comedy sketches I'd done as a teenager!
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online roamer_1

« Reply #442 on: July 06, 2021, 09:04:30 pm »
On  a side note:

I pulled that Asus out of storage last night. I had backed up some of my files from even older desktops (including one that ran Windows 95!) on the Asus's internal hard drive. After some finagling to run the video output to the external port, wouldn't you know it? The darn thing DOES still work, and just as well as it did! It was fun going through all the old stuff I had saved on it; old programming projects, photos (which I promptly transferred to the black-box hard drive), music I had transcribed to MIDI... old comedy sketches I'd done as a teenager!

I had a stripped down eeepc as a test bed machine for years... It finally ended up doing nothing but setting up routers and testing/bridging modems... I finally scrapped it because I couldn't kill it. Surprising performance from a bang-for-buck box. But then, I like ASUS generally or did... Been one of three boards I have supported all the way along (ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte). I spend most of my time on business class HP these days.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #443 on: September 02, 2021, 06:12:33 pm »
Arrrrgh!  Locast is shut down, where I'd been getting local TV channel feeds.  Are there any suggestions?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #444 on: September 02, 2021, 09:24:49 pm »
Arrrrgh!  Locast is shut down, where I'd been getting local TV channel feeds.  Are there any suggestions?

@Cyber Liberty

Buy an antenna. I have a 40 dollar RCA outside antenna that MIGHT weigh 3 lbs that picks up 40+ broadcast stations,and the closest one is almost 50 miles away. Had tv channels back in the pre-sat days,and only thought there were a total of 5 channels.

I have mine hooked to my ROKU so I can catch local news and weather. I also like to watch the old black and white oldies like the original "Twilight Zone" and "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" on it.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #445 on: September 02, 2021, 09:27:52 pm »

Have you tried ustvgo.tv?

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #446 on: September 03, 2021, 12:41:43 am »
Have you tried ustvgo.tv?

Doesn't have the off-channels I like, like MeTv, Retro and Comet.   :shrug:

I have trouble with antenna TeeVee because the nearest big city is Las Vegas, and the signals from there are for shit.  Maybe I can get a better antenna?

Oh well....no more Svengoolie for me.  :crying:
I will NOT comply.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #447 on: September 03, 2021, 02:07:59 am »
Doesn't have the off-channels I like, like MeTv, Retro and Comet.   :shrug:

I have trouble with antenna TeeVee because the nearest big city is Las Vegas, and the signals from there are for shit.  Maybe I can get a better antenna?

Oh well....no more Svengoolie for me.  :crying:
No Svengoolie? No wonder your sound bummed!

C S Lewis

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #448 on: September 20, 2021, 05:17:44 pm »
OK. Here's my situation.  I have around 24MPS internet bandwidth available most of the time. ATT Uverse Bundled with digital landlines and Direct TV for television programing. Cost is $200+ per month)

There are three TVs, several computers, and smart devices in use here wirelessly connected.

In the near future it is likely that I will be able to have fiber service (100MPS for $69 per month)

1. What is my best option for replacing direct TV in my current situation?

2. Should I forget that and wait for the fiber?

3. What would be my best option (least costly) for replacing the programming I currently get from direct TV?  I do not want to have subscriptions for multiple streaming services and do not want to put up an antenna to get local channels.

@roamer_1  @Cyber Liberty Anyone
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 05:29:07 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #449 on: September 20, 2021, 06:20:21 pm »
I never did DirectTV... :shrug:
I will NOT comply.