Author Topic: Cordcutting Thread  (Read 93408 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: Cordcutting Thread
« Reply #400 on: January 09, 2021, 01:36:49 pm »
@Elderberry

Can you say "ROKU"?

@sneakypete

That's what I have been using for several years now. Now I admit I haven't extensively explored all the services available, but I didn't yet find one that gave me OAN News. Now with ustvgo I can watch it and it don't cost me anything.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #401 on: January 09, 2021, 01:50:53 pm »
We are all sharing my daughter's Netflix account. I'll take a look at locast, but I almost never watch local broadcast channels. I have an active antenna set up and in Houston I receive gobs of local stations that I rarely look at.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #402 on: January 09, 2021, 03:41:39 pm »
I'm thinking I may look into something non TCP-IP based for home automation so I don't have to deal with security and also big tech.

Maybe something z-wave based?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #403 on: January 09, 2021, 10:34:36 pm »
We are all sharing my daughter's Netflix account. I'll take a look at locast, but I almost never watch local broadcast channels. I have an active antenna set up and in Houston I receive gobs of local stations that I rarely look at.

Local channels are a lot more than they used to me.  MeTv, GetTV, Comet and Laff are now local channels.  Locast has the large market statios so all these syndicated programs are there.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #404 on: January 10, 2021, 02:42:15 am »
@sneakypete

That's what I have been using for several years now. Now I admit I haven't extensively explored all the services available, but I didn't yet find one that gave me OAN News. Now with ustvgo I can watch it and it don't cost me anything.

@Elderberry

If you MUST have local news broadcast channels,spring 40 bucks for a small RCA outside antenna. I live 54 miles from the closest tv broadcast tower,and pick up 43 channels with my RCA antenna.

I forget the exact model now,but go to Amazon and do  a search there for RCA tv antennas,and it's the one closest to 40 bucks.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #405 on: January 10, 2021, 02:55:36 am »
@Elderberry

If you MUST have local news broadcast channels,spring 40 bucks for a small RCA outside antenna. I live 54 miles from the closest tv broadcast tower,and pick up 43 channels with my RCA antenna.

I forget the exact model now,but go to Amazon and do  a search there for RCA tv antennas,and it's the one closest to 40 bucks.

@sneakypete

The channel I wanted was not carried locally. I do have an RCA antenna with a built in amp that really pulls in the stations. Stations that I rarely even look at.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #406 on: April 25, 2021, 08:38:51 pm »

More Americans say they are "cutting the cord"

By Fred Backus

April 23, 2021 / 1:55 PM / CBS News

More and more Americans seem to be "cutting the cord" and switching away from cable and satellite subscription services in favor of streaming services, reflecting changes in the way they consume television. 

Five years ago, 63% of Americans mostly watched television through cable and satellite. Today, that percentage has dropped to fewer than half of all Americans, while the percentage of those primarily watching television via a streaming service on the internet has jumped 17 percentage points, from 20% in 2016 to 37% today. About one in 10 Americans watch their TV through a digital antenna, which replaced old-fashioned broadcast television several years ago.

more
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cord-cutting-americans-rising/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #407 on: April 25, 2021, 10:05:12 pm »
I did this at the end of January, so I can report some resultss.

The price of the Cable was over $150 per month.  I was able to get another ISP, at $65 per month.  I have Amazon Premium and a Fire Stick, so there are channels available for free, but the channels I still watch, like FNS, require a third-party provider for the license.  I have FUBO, but Sling is cheaper.  The FUBO is about 50 bucks.

The internet is more reliable, because the Cable provider uses fiber optics, while my new provider is microwave with a little dish on my house.  I have an excellent line-of-sight connection by virtue of my glorious view of Laughlin, which is where the transmitter is.  I have a 20 Mbs download package, but I can go a lot higher if I want to pay more.

Bottom line:  I pay less for better service in more rooms, and that's what it's all about.

ROKU is also well priced.  Still a savings.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #408 on: April 25, 2021, 11:05:13 pm »
These days, a Roku is dirt cheap. I got one at Christmastime for $10, new—of course it was the base model with no DVR or anything like that, but the HDMI cable that came with it alone was worth that much, so I essentially got it for free.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Skull

« Reply #409 on: April 25, 2021, 11:06:16 pm »
@sneakypete

I have enough stuff & nonsense via my Vizio smart tv.  But for OAN + 40 or so channels and $30 @ year, Klowd on a computer will do fine.

https://www.klowdtv.com
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 11:07:11 pm by Skull »
Truth is against the stream of common thought, deep, subtle, difficult, delicate, unseen by passion’s slaves cloaked in the murk of ignorance. Vipassī Buddha

Offline libertybele

« Reply #410 on: April 25, 2021, 11:38:52 pm »
We have ROKU, but hubby hasn't given up his cable.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #411 on: April 26, 2021, 12:08:41 am »
I did this at the end of January, so I can report some resultss.

The price of the Cable was over $150 per month.  I was able to get another ISP, at $65 per month.  I have Amazon Premium and a Fire Stick, so there are channels available for free, but the channels I still watch, like FNS, require a third-party provider for the license.  I have FUBO, but Sling is cheaper.  The FUBO is about 50 bucks.

The internet is more reliable, because the Cable provider uses fiber optics, while my new provider is microwave with a little dish on my house.  I have an excellent line-of-sight connection by virtue of my glorious view of Laughlin, which is where the transmitter is.  I have a 20 Mbs download package, but I can go a lot higher if I want to pay more.

Bottom line:  I pay less for better service in more rooms, and that's what it's all about.

ROKU is also well priced.  Still a savings.

@Cyber Liberty

I never had cable,but I have had a couple of different sat services.

Dumped them all several years ago when I bought a digital RCA antenna maybe 1/4 th the size of traditional antennas,and mounted it on a steel pole maybe 12 feet off the ground. I was pulling in 8 channels with the old antenna,and now get  43 channels with the new RCA.

$32 bucks including shipping from amazon,and pulls in channels from as far as 70 miles away.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024R4B5C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.roku.com/products/players

I bought the $99 one which is often on sale for $79. I honestly can't recommend any of the cheaper ones because they just don't have all the features. Been using mine for several years now with zero problems from either the player or ROKU.

ROKU's remote is one sweet piece of work,too!

I have no idea how many channels I get with the ROKU. Must be hundreds more than I will ever have time to watch,but the big thing is I can subscribe to the premium biggies like HBO,Amazon,Hulu,etc,etc,etc,right through ROKU,have them pay each individual channel I subscribe to,and I only have one payment and ROKU is the only company that has my bank account number.

I also like the fact all my streaming bills are at one location,and it is easy to check them all and stop one at any time I decide I don't want it anymore.

Since I bought the HD RCA antenna and the ROKU player,I am paying less than half of what I did pay the sat companies,and getting a lot more channels. Not only that,but I don't lose my signal in rain or snow storms,like I did sometimes with the dish.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 12:12:01 am by sneakypete »

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #412 on: April 26, 2021, 12:13:48 am »
We have the internet through the cable company and Rokus. $65/month. We have Prime which, with free shipping pays for itself plus.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #413 on: April 26, 2021, 12:14:55 am »
We have ROKU, but hubby hasn't given up his cable.
@libertybele

Probably just doesn't want to have to learn something new.

Not that *I* know anything personally about that sort of attitude you understand,but I HAVE hear rumors about it.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #414 on: April 26, 2021, 12:15:49 am »
I mostly read with a Youtube documentary in the background. On book 40 for the year.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline libertybele

« Reply #415 on: April 26, 2021, 12:40:54 am »
@libertybele

Probably just doesn't want to have to learn something new.

Not that *I* know anything personally about that sort of attitude you understand,but I HAVE hear rumors about it.

:yowsa:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #416 on: June 06, 2021, 06:27:51 pm »
Local channels are a lot more than they used to me.  MeTv, GetTV, Comet and Laff are now local channels.  Locast has the large market statios so all these syndicated programs are there.
Quick question, since the universal remote that came with my defunct cable box won't change tv channels (and I don't know if I actually have any other channels on the tv besides good ol' number three: (original remote long lost, and new teevee just not in the budget--this one is only seven yrs old or so)

Cable company quit providing cable tv. (Yes, really!) Abandoned their boxes and everything. I have a fire stick (older) and while I like the programming I can get, it seems to suddenly have problems in the middle of movies. I don't watch much current production, simply because of faggotry and woke-ism and blends of people not seen in most normal gatherings in these parts. What masquerades as "normal" is pretty much alien fare here. But the Mrs. likes to watch Wheel of Fortune and catch the local news from time to time. so I am going to have to get an antenna. About all the fare we will get is in the 35 mile envelope, otherwise, it will be the same networks, just out of another town, 130 miles away or Canada. In case we want to see what regina is putting out, I'll get a dual range with amplifier and that should handle that, and I'm thinking a Roku for the set to go through wifi channels with because the fire stick seems to be having trouble holding onto a wifi signal even though it's only 20 ft. to the router.

Finally, I get around to the question: will the roku allow me to change channels with the antenna feed, or do I need something else to change the channels?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #417 on: June 06, 2021, 07:02:31 pm »

Finally, I get around to the question: will the roku allow me to change channels with the antenna feed, or do I need something else to change the channels?

None of the Roku remotes that I've used will change TV channels. i do have Universal remotes that will control Roku as well as control the TV. You need to pick up a universal remote to control your TV.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #418 on: June 06, 2021, 07:33:17 pm »
Quick question, since the universal remote that came with my defunct cable box won't change tv channels (and I don't know if I actually have any other channels on the tv besides good ol' number three: (original remote long lost, and new teevee just not in the budget--this one is only seven yrs old or so)

Cable company quit providing cable tv. (Yes, really!) Abandoned their boxes and everything. I have a fire stick (older) and while I like the programming I can get, it seems to suddenly have problems in the middle of movies. I don't watch much current production, simply because of faggotry and woke-ism and blends of people not seen in most normal gatherings in these parts. What masquerades as "normal" is pretty much alien fare here. But the Mrs. likes to watch Wheel of Fortune and catch the local news from time to time. so I am going to have to get an antenna. About all the fare we will get is in the 35 mile envelope, otherwise, it will be the same networks, just out of another town, 130 miles away or Canada. In case we want to see what regina is putting out, I'll get a dual range with amplifier and that should handle that, and I'm thinking a Roku for the set to go through wifi channels with because the fire stick seems to be having trouble holding onto a wifi signal even though it's only 20 ft. to the router.

Locast has all the local channels (and subchannels) for the major markets, which is a boon to those of us living in the sticks with little-to-no choices with the antenna TV.

I don't know anything about Roku operation (I have Fire Sticks, old and new), but I'm getting a crash course in it this week.  Somebody donated a unit to our local GOP Headquarters a couple days ago, and I haven't gotten in to see it yet.
I will NOT comply.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #419 on: June 06, 2021, 08:29:56 pm »

@Smokin Joe

Antenna feeds regular TV. Your TV, if it is a flatscreen, has TV, which has either a cable connection, or the antenna connection, AND HDMI channels, which are the various things you hook to the TV otherwise, like your ROKU and your Firestick.

SO, you still need a remote for your TV to change between TV, HDMI1 HDMI2, HDMI3,USB, etc...
When the TV is on 'TV', the TV will be getting feed from the antenna or the cable, so you will seek and change TV channels with that same remote....
Then each of the HDMI channels will represent each of the other things you plug in....

In my case, I have nothing hooked to the TV side of the TV...
And HDMI1 is the pooter I have hooked to the TV.
And HDMI2 is the ROKU...

Now, when I am on HDMI2 (which I got to using the TV remote), I am on the ROKU, so I then have to use the ROKU remote to navigate within that sphere...

As for the lost TV Remote, there are several universal remotes out there - I will recommend the RCA remote, which is the one I use, since the real remote that came with the TV is a precious commodity, irreplaceable, so it lives right under the TV where I have to get up to use it. I use the RCA for general purposes. It ain't perfect, but it gives me ON/OFF and volume control and selects between HDMI ports, which is the sum total I need it for.

Setting up a universal to work with your particular TV is a chore, but not all that bad... RTFM.

As for what to use, I will still maintain that hooking a pooter to the TV is the best way to go - Gives you a regular Windows desktop on the TV... Fire up firefox with it's ad-blocker add-on, and most of the ad-sponsored stuff, you never even see. Spend some time watching TV on your laptop for a while and you will find out there is very little you can't get to with regular old internet. I barely ever use the ROKU. Can't even remember the last time...
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 08:34:44 pm by roamer_1 »

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #420 on: June 06, 2021, 08:42:10 pm »
None of the Roku remotes that I've used will change TV channels. i do have Universal remotes that will control Roku as well as control the TV. You need to pick up a universal remote to control your TV.

@Elderberry

Huh? My ROKU remotes changes channels daily for me. The trick is to look up the broadcast stations like NBC on your roku search engine,and add them to your channel list.

The ROKU essentially takes over all the tv controls. The tv serves as a slave monitor to the ROKU. You can even use it to turn your tv on and off.

Having said that,I normally watch network broadcast channels using the tv antenna and the tv remote.

I bought a RCA digital antenna

https://www.amazon.com/Antenna-Satellite-Broadcast-Epicenter-Reception/dp/B0024R4B5C/ref=sr_1_3?crid=JFXYUV3L3VYS&dchild=1&keywords=rca+antenna&qid=1623012031&sprefix=rca+antenna%2Caps%2C304&sr=8-3

And pull in over 40 broadcast channels with it. Never even heard rumors about most of them,never mind seeing them before going with the antenna above

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #421 on: June 06, 2021, 09:24:07 pm »
@Smokin Joe

Antenna feeds regular TV. Your TV, if it is a flatscreen, has TV, which has either a cable connection, or the antenna connection, AND HDMI channels, which are the various things you hook to the TV otherwise, like your ROKU and your Firestick.

SO, you still need a remote for your TV to change between TV, HDMI1 HDMI2, HDMI3,USB, etc...
When the TV is on 'TV', the TV will be getting feed from the antenna or the cable, so you will seek and change TV channels with that same remote....
Then each of the HDMI channels will represent each of the other things you plug in....

In my case, I have nothing hooked to the TV side of the TV...
And HDMI1 is the pooter I have hooked to the TV.
And HDMI2 is the ROKU...

Now, when I am on HDMI2 (which I got to using the TV remote), I am on the ROKU, so I then have to use the ROKU remote to navigate within that sphere...

As for the lost TV Remote, there are several universal remotes out there - I will recommend the RCA remote, which is the one I use, since the real remote that came with the TV is a precious commodity, irreplaceable, so it lives right under the TV where I have to get up to use it. I use the RCA for general purposes. It ain't perfect, but it gives me ON/OFF and volume control and selects between HDMI ports, which is the sum total I need it for.

Setting up a universal to work with your particular TV is a chore, but not all that bad... RTFM.

As for what to use, I will still maintain that hooking a pooter to the TV is the best way to go - Gives you a regular Windows desktop on the TV... Fire up firefox with it's ad-blocker add-on, and most of the ad-sponsored stuff, you never even see. Spend some time watching TV on your laptop for a while and you will find out there is very little you can't get to with regular old internet. I barely ever use the ROKU. Can't even remember the last time...
That original is lost, the one the cable outfit gave us was supposed to be universal, but when I try to change channels in TV mode, it won't. Maybe I need to rescan for channels, but I will wait until I get an antenna to do that.

The laptop option isn't an option. If it was just me, that would be one thing, but Mrs. Joe is NOT tech savvy, and only uses a computer to play solitaire. Has no interest otherwise. Since she will be doing much of that teevee watching, I need something simple enough for her to navigate with a minimum of training...

When I'm at work, we have satellite tv everywhere I end up in the lab or living quarters, at home though, Mr. Joe will do most of the watching.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #422 on: June 06, 2021, 09:44:44 pm »
That original is lost, the one the cable outfit gave us was supposed to be universal, but when I try to change channels in TV mode, it won't. Maybe I need to rescan for channels, but I will wait until I get an antenna to do that.

The remote for the cable box is changing the channels in that box, not on your TV. At least mine was that way - I still needed the TV remote to turn the TV ON/OFF... And to trim volume (though the cable remote did that too). SO you need the remote, one way or the other. It's maybe 15 bucks for a universal remote, right at the Wallyworld.

The laptop option isn't an option. If it was just me, that would be one thing, but Mrs. Joe is NOT tech savvy, and only uses a computer to play solitaire. Has no interest otherwise. Since she will be doing much of that teevee watching, I need something simple enough for her to navigate with a minimum of training...

Nah... She can do it... Shoot, my mamma does it all the time. Set her on PutoTV for instance... Totally free, and purposefully set up to be like a cable box... I think it is a pretty crappy site, but that is because I can't be rid of the commercials, and I hate having to watch at a particular time, like TV, and PlutoTV, are set up to do. I am an OnDemand guy, so I do very little direct streaming, which is what Pluto does.

Another one is Peacock TV, which is NBC's offering... Really easy to navigate. And both them sites have movies on demand.

Now all you need is a bookmark to PlutoTV, and another to PeacockTV set in the Bookmark bar of the browser, and she can get to em fine.

And there's hunnerts of em.
PlutoTV
PeacockTV

When I'm at work, we have satellite tv everywhere I end up in the lab or living quarters, at home though, Mr. Joe will do most of the watching.

If she can run a ROKU, she can run internet based sites. Only difference is, you operate it from your chair with a wireless KB/Glidepad which ain't much different than any other KB... and I think easier to deal with than the remote - except that I can't see it in the dark... Still looking for a backlit portable KB/Glide.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 09:46:23 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #423 on: June 06, 2021, 10:21:02 pm »
Sister gave us access to her Netflix account via Roku..... but she is always busy and we didn't want to bother her with setting up Amazon (Prime) tv with the roku.... so instead we take wife's laptop and log in her Amazon Prime account and navigate to videos to stream on the computer. Now we do the same thing, but with a hdmi cable we just transfer the show to the tv to watch when we need to (family viewing).... but most the junk on Amazon is just so gay central that it is not worth watching most the time. But if we do a search for a movie on Roku and it shows up as being on Amazon, we can watch it commercial free.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #424 on: June 06, 2021, 10:45:49 pm »
Sister gave us access to her Netflix account via Roku..... but she is always busy and we didn't want to bother her with setting up Amazon (Prime) tv with the roku.... so instead we take wife's laptop and log in her Amazon Prime account and navigate to videos to stream on the computer. Now we do the same thing, but with a hdmi cable we just transfer the show to the tv to watch when we need to (family viewing).... but most the junk on Amazon is just so gay central that it is not worth watching most the time. But if we do a search for a movie on Roku and it shows up as being on Amazon, we can watch it commercial free.

Just find an old used Win7 era box used somewhere...
Look for one that has an HDMI port on it, because then all you'll need is a network connection and a wireless KB/Glidepad... If it don't have HDMI on it you will need to buy a video card for it too, likely, though if it has DMI/DVI you can get an adapter...

But that's the whole setup... My current main Media box Is an old dell in a midsize tower that cost me nothing... Put a 2g vid card in it to get HDMI, put a USB wireless network card in it, and a USB wireless KB/Glidepad in it... Upgraded it to Win10 for free, and stuffed it in place. It also has a 4T back drive that holds my music and vid library, but that ain't necessary.

The whole thing, less the big drive out back, I don't think I am 100 bucks into it... Maybe somewhere between 50 and 75... It is super cheap - And since it is always on (I just shut off the TV, not the pooter) it serves my other TVs streaming from my pics, vid and music library, and also functions as a backup location.

And here's the fun part... I use my laptop quite often for looking around to see what I want to watch, and since both my laptop and the media machine are using the same sync'd Firefox account, all I have to do is rclick on something in my laptop browser, and select 'send to a device', and choose 'KEELER', which is that media machine, and just like that, it is there in my Firefox on the media machine to select as a tab.

So I don't hardly have to use the KB even, since if I am here, the laptop is always on anyhoo.

I just put a new mini-tower dell on the bedroom TV. In that one fifty bucks and a DMI to HDMI adapter... I5 box with 8g RAM, and it runs like a watch.

Only other thing to recommend, is hope to get one with Windows Pro on it, because then you can operate it as a remote desktop really easy too, which makes it easier to maintain when you need to, from a real station with a real KB/Mouse and a monitor up close.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 10:48:54 pm by roamer_1 »