General Category > General Discussion

Cordcutting Thread

<< < (3/105) > >>

Victoria33:
Ping to go back to this thread.

DCPatriot:
The phone companies did NOT go out of business when long distance was an extra charge, or Caller ID was standard equipment.

So, IMO, the cable and FIOS companies can cut their customers' bills IN HALF and STILL make a fortune.

..same concept as federal tax rates lowered, bringing more taxpayers to the pool.

roamer_1:
BTW, for those using a computer to run their TV:

An RDP or VNC server running on that computer makes it simple to access from a laptop, notebook, tablet, or phone.

I normally have a laptop nearby, and while 90% of the time, I can operate the TV using the cordless keyboard (connected to the TV's computer) from my chair, sometimes I will need to read something on the TV that is too far away to see.. A movie synopsis as an instance... It is a simple thing to get on the laptop, fire up TightVNC's client (Tight is a free and open source VNC server/client system), log into the TV machine's VNC server, and presto, the desktop of the TV is on my laptop. I can read it, and do any operations I might want to right from the laptop's monitor, keyboard, and mouse, log back off, and enjoy.

Sanguine:

--- Quote from: roamer_1 on May 04, 2017, 12:35:45 am ---BTW, for those using a computer to run their TV:

An RDP or VNC server running on that computer makes it simple to access from a laptop, notebook, tablet, or phone.

I normally have a laptop nearby, and while 90% of the time, I can operate the TV using the cordless keyboard (connected to the TV's computer) from my chair, sometimes I will need to read something on the TV that is too far away to see.. A movie synopsis as an instance... It is a simple thing to get on the laptop, fire up TightVNC's client (Tight is a free and open source VNC server/client system), log into the TV machine's VNC server, and presto, the desktop of the TV is on my laptop. I can read it, and do any operations I might want to right from the laptop's monitor, keyboard, and mouse, log back off, and enjoy.

--- End quote ---

Sounds cool.  I wish I knew what it meant.

roamer_1:

--- Quote from: Sanguine on May 04, 2017, 12:45:49 am ---Sounds cool.  I wish I knew what it meant.

--- End quote ---

LOL! in simple terms... You can see the desktop of another computer on the desktop of the computer you are operating on. You can run that remote computer using the computer you are operating on.

Sorry if I geeked out there...

As it regards operating the TV, it means I can operate the TV through the computer connected to it, using the laptop by my chair == I don't have to get up and go over there.

@Sanguine

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version