General Category > Economy/Business

How two cutting edge U.S. nuclear projects bankrupted Westinghouse

<< < (2/10) > >>

IsailedawayfromFR:

--- Quote from: Fishrrman on May 04, 2017, 01:59:23 am ---Start building coal-fired plants again.

Nuclear power (as I mentioned yesterday in another post) is all-but dead.
Nobody wants to get involved any longer.

Coal is cheaper, the plants can go up quickly, better for the economy (mining and transportation), the electricity produced is cheaper.

And the emissions are no longer a problem that they once were, due to cleaner-burning technology.

--- End quote ---
Nuclear power is in fact perfectly designed to generate electricity.  Its major technical problems involve choosing the correct site away from earthquake-prone areas, near prodigious water sources and handling spent fuel.

The only other reasons of concern are contamination, which historically has been controlled save in a very few cases such as Three Mile Island and Chernobyl.

If you statement that coal power generation is cheaper, then why are the Chinese replacing its coal power generation with nuclear with 37 nuclear plants operating and another 20 being built?

Oceander:

--- Quote from: Fishrrman on May 04, 2017, 01:59:23 am ---Start building coal-fired plants again.

Nuclear power (as I mentioned yesterday in another post) is all-but dead.
Nobody wants to get involved any longer.

Coal is cheaper, the plants can go up quickly, better for the economy (mining and transportation), the electricity produced is cheaper.

And the emissions are no longer a problem that they once were, due to cleaner-burning technology.

--- End quote ---

:bigsilly:

geronl:
The eco-nuts in court and all the regulations probably helped too

mountaineer:
I live in the Marcellus/Utica gas producing area. A new gas-fired power plant is in the works (permits pending, of course) to be constructed not too far away. It will be a lot cleaner than the coal-fired one across the river.

IsailedawayfromFR:

--- Quote from: mountaineer on May 06, 2017, 06:08:21 pm ---I live in the Marcellus/Utica gas producing area. A new gas-fired power plant is in the works (permits pending, of course) to be constructed not too far away. It will be a lot cleaner than the coal-fired one across the river.

--- End quote ---
Undoubtedly.  And it also undoubtedly is caused by the technological advances of the last several years in the oil and gas industry.

Just think - another few years of Obama in the form of Hillary would have most certainly squashed this new energy source.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version