Author Topic: Left goes nuts over Bret Stephens climate article - two articles  (Read 547 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Uproar Over Bret Stephens Climate Column Underscores Rigidity of Thought Among Liberals

Alexander Nazaryan
Newsweek
May 1, 2017

In the latest sign of what some see as growing rigidity of thought among American liberals, new New York Times columnist Bret Stephens has been skewered online by readers of the paper for his first column. The subject of that column was a growing rigidity of thought among American liberals.

Stephens arrives at the Times from The Wall Street Journal, where he won a Pulitzer Prize in 2013 for “incisive columns on American foreign policy and domestic politics, often enlivened by a contrarian twist.”

Many on the political left objected to the hire, with some noting that the Times had hired another white male columnist when it still had no women of color in its op-ed ranks. Others pointed out that Stephens, who is Jewish, was harshly critical of the Arab world. Stephens had also suggested that the outcry over campus rape was overblown.
More

Times subscribers are fleeing in wake of climate change column

Chris Perez
New York Post
May 1, 2017

People are still hating on New York Times columnist Bret Stephens — with a “#ShowYourCancellation” movement growing on social media over the weekend — following his controversial piece on climate change.

“I’ve been a @nytimes loyalist for over 15 years. But hiring a ‘climate agnostic’ has gone too far,” Heather Randell tweeted Sunday. “I’m canceling. #showyourcancellation.”

Beth Holbrook wrote, “Cancelled @nytimes subscription. As a scientist, I take offense at BS opinion pieces misrepresenting scientific facts #ShowYourCancellation.”
More

Since David Brooks can no longer be considered conservative, the NYT needed a token conservative Op-Ed columnist, so they hired Bret Stephens away from the WSJ. Stephens is more of a legitimate conservative, but the NYT decision to hire him just might have had something to do with Stephens' anti-Trump stance.

Well, Stephens' first column came out the other day and the stuff hit the fan as the left showed it's predictable intolerance.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 06:21:47 pm by Machiavelli »

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
Re: Left goes nuts over Bret Stephens climate article - two articles
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 06:27:24 pm »
If it helps drive the NYT into receivership, I'm all for it.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Left goes nuts over Bret Stephens climate article - two articles
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 06:30:58 pm »
Thou doth not speaketh against Gaia, her high priesthood the Govt, or the Doctrine of Global Warming. Heresy and abomination.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Answering Your Climate Questions
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 04:50:43 pm »
Answering Your Climate Questions

Bret Stephens
The New York Times
May 1, 2017

My first column, “Climate of Complete Certainty,” was published last week, and drew more than 1,800 comments on the column and on Facebook. I’m answering some of them here, edited lightly for length and clarity.

More