Author Topic: Flying commercial jet? You might want to get one of these...  (Read 616 times)

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/2-investigates/flight-attendants-say-air-inside-planes-can-be-toxic/517283517

Until I read this article, I didn't realize that the air passengers breathe on jet airlines is sucked in through the ENGINES!! So if there is a leak in the oil in those engines, fumes from the oil can (and do) get into the air passengers are breathing. The airlines swear (of course) that the air is safe. And who would ever suspect that an airline would lie or do anything else immoral just because it was more convenient or expedient for them!?! (rolls eyes).

The pilots breathe air from a completely separate system of course, so they are not affected by any air issues in the passenger cabin. So does the airline management really need to give a damn if there are air quality problems with the passenger cabin? Maybe not.

So here is an idea for the Christmas stocking stuffer. Maybe get them for the whole fam dambly! Of course, the flight crew and other passengers may become alarmed that someone is wearing self-contained breathing apparatus. In that case, simply tell them that you're Muslim and they will run away in terror that you will sue them.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 02:59:39 pm by LateForLunch »
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Offline Joe Wooten

Re: Flying commercial jet? You might want to get one of these...
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 06:03:07 pm »
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/2-investigates/flight-attendants-say-air-inside-planes-can-be-toxic/517283517

Until I read this article, I didn't realize that the air passengers breathe on jet airlines is sucked in through the ENGINES!! So if there is a leak in the oil in those engines, fumes from the oil can (and do) get into the air passengers are breathing. The airlines swear (of course) that the air is safe. And who would ever suspect that an airline would lie or do anything else immoral just because it was more convenient or expedient for them!?! (rolls eyes).

The pilots breathe air from a completely separate system of course, so they are not affected by any air issues in the passenger cabin. So does the airline management really need to give a damn if there are air quality problems with the passenger cabin? Maybe not.

So here is an idea for the Christmas stocking stuffer. Maybe get them for the whole fam dambly! Of course, the flight crew and other passengers may become alarmed that someone is wearing self-contained breathing apparatus. In that case, simply tell them that you're Muslim and they will run away in terror that you will sue them.

Good luck on getting that through the TSA checkpoints, and if you do, the attendants will probably order you to take it off and drag you off the plane if you don't......

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 06:21:26 pm »
Good luck on getting that through the TSA checkpoints, and if you do, the attendants will probably order you to take it off and drag you off the plane if you don't......

The OP was right. Not if you dress like a Muslim and tell them it is your prayer transmitter. .
Countdown to Resignation

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 06:26:08 pm »
Just roll down a window.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 06:28:55 pm »
Yeah, no doubt. Probably the only way to get anything remotely similar on board would be to lie and claim that you are using an oxygen concentrator for health reasons (since they have a filter) and add an activated-charcoal filter and mask. That should neutralize the fumes and the pathogen-bearing particulates that children and inconsiderate adults launch into the atmosphere when they don't cover their mouths when sneezing or coughing. Sure, the goons might shoot you down, but then they might not. Also might be useful in theaters or other enclosed spaces with hundreds of other oxygen breathers or noxious floating aromatic hydrocarbons.

Speaking of that last thing. Someone told me that forests are unhealthy to stay in for long because the pine trees emit aromatic hydrocarbons (turpene) which are potentially carcinogenic and harmful to the lungs. I know that turpentine is made from pine sap, but I wonder if it's toxic to breathe the fumes from pine trees. If so, the next time I go hiking or back-packing I might just take along one of the units in this thread - since I can't take it with me on airplanes...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 06:41:21 pm by LateForLunch »
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)