Author Topic: What Should Trump Do With His Next SCOTUS Pick?  (Read 1462 times)

rangerrebew

What Should Trump Do With His Next SCOTUS Pick?
« on: May 02, 2017, 01:18:44 pm »
If Kennedy retires, the president could stick to his list or go rogue.

9:03 AM, May 01, 2017 | By Jonathan V. Last

Photo credit: Rex Features via AP Images.

After Neil Gorsuch was confirmed, most of America moved on to Russia, North Korea, the tax plan, and Rodrigo Duterte. But a small universe of Republican legal thinkers moved on, instead, to war-gaming the next Supreme Court vacancy.

It is widely believed that Justice Anthony Kennedy will step down in the near future. (One of the selling points for Gorsuch was that, as a former Kennedy clerk, his elevation would reassure the 80-year-old justice that Trump could be trusted to pick his successor.) If/when that comes to pass, President Trump will be faced with the decision to stick with the list of 21 potential justices he provided during the campaign, or go rogue. And the politics of this decision are complicated by the fact that this will be the first Supreme Court nomination begun without the possibility of a filibuster.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/what-should-trump-do-with-his-next-scotus-pick/article/2007848?utm_campaign=Weekly%20Standard:%20Daily%20Standard&utm_source=Weekly%20Standard:%20Daily%20Standard%20-%2005/01/17&utm_medium=email
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 01:19:17 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: What Should Trump Do With His Next SCOTUS Pick?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 01:26:12 pm »
Listen to whoever picked Gorsuch for him.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 01:59:55 pm »

Two words: Judge Judy

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 02:09:50 pm »
This is not rocket science, folks.  The President has a list of 20 remaining potential candidates for Supreme Court Justice.

Trump to stick with conservative list for next Supreme Court pick
Washington Times, Apr 30, 2017, Stephen Dinan

President Trump will stick with the same list of potential nominees for the next Supreme Court vacancy, he told The Washington Times in an exclusive interview in which he also waved aside the lack of a honeymoon from Capitol Hill, saying Republicans are “going to get there” and Democrats are still smarting over losing an election they thought they couldn’t lose.

Mr. Trump said conservative voters should be assured that his next choice will be “really talented and of our views.” Asked specifically whether he would pick from the list of candidates he put forward in the campaign, Mr. Trump was unequivocal: “Yes,” he said, adding, “That list was a big thing.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/apr/30/trump-to-stick-with-conservative-list-for-next-sup/

« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 02:10:19 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 02:31:06 pm »

Two words: Judge Judy

:hands:

Yay!
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 02:40:19 pm »
This is not rocket science, folks.  The President has a list of 20 remaining potential candidates for Supreme Court Justice.

As the article noted: "President Trump will be faced with the decision to stick with the list of 21 potential justices he provided during the campaign, or go rogue."  You don't know any more than I do which way he will go.

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 03:14:40 pm »
As the article noted: "President Trump will be faced with the decision to stick with the list of 21 potential justices he provided during the campaign, or go rogue." 

Read the article from The Washington Times I posted on this thread .... the President has confirmed he will choose from the remaining 20 potential candidates on the list he developed and released during the campaign @Sanguine .... he's not going "rogue".

As I said, this is not rocket science... and now I'll add:  there is no reason to fall victim to the hyped-up angst from NT Weekly Standard.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 03:24:37 pm »
Read the article from The Washington Times I posted on this thread .... the President has confirmed he will choose from the remaining 20 potential candidates on the list he developed and released during the campaign @Sanguine .... he's not going "rogue".

As I said, this is not rocket science... and now I'll add:  there is no reason to fall victim to the hyped-up angst from NT Weekly Standard.

"Rocket science"?  That has nothing to do with the questions being raised - it's not a question of IQ.

However, I sure hope you are correct.  Time will tell.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 03:26:57 pm »
He should dangle a Progressive replacement in front of the DEMS in exchange for sufficient votes for the complete repeal of Obamacare.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline skeeter

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 03:29:02 pm »
He should dangle a Progressive replacement in front of the DEMS in exchange for sufficient votes for the complete repeal of Obamacare.

Then renege after its repealed.

I'm sick of our side always playing the patsy. Let the other side squeal for a change.

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 03:50:07 pm »
"Rocket science"?  That has nothing to do with the questions being raised - it's not a question of IQ.

However, I sure hope you are correct.  Time will tell.

The "rocket science" was aimed at the Weekly Standard @Sanguine, not you.   .... And everything from them should be viewed through a filter of intelligence and motive.

Apologies for not being clear.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2017, 03:56:32 pm »
This is funny, actually.

Trump fails to secure even a minor victory with the budget.

Trump fails to secure any substantive changes to Repeal and Replace. (It's basically the same turd sandwich of a bill.)

So....

Let's talk about SCOTUS picks! Yeah, that's the ticket!
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

geronl

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2017, 05:47:05 pm »
Hopefully he won't appoint Obama or Hillary

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2017, 05:51:19 pm »
This is funny, actually.

Trump fails to secure even a minor victory with the budget.

Trump fails to secure any substantive changes to Repeal and Replace. (It's basically the same turd sandwich of a bill.)

So....

Let's talk about SCOTUS picks! Yeah, that's the ticket!

To be honest, I never counted on getting much from him beyond 1) SCOTUS picks, 2) Less executive meddling in DoD, and 3) some reduction of regulations.  That was my basis for voting for him over Hillary.  Looks like that may be all we get, unfortunately.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2017, 09:17:30 pm »
To be honest, I never counted on getting much from him beyond 1) SCOTUS picks, 2) Less executive meddling in DoD, and 3) some reduction of regulations.  That was my basis for voting for him over Hillary.  Looks like that may be all we get, unfortunately.

@Maj. Bill Martin

I'll give him Gorsuch and Mattis. The rollback of coal regs was good, too.

But those things are not going to fix this country. Our sovereign debt crisis is very real. Our entitlement problem is very real. Our spending problem is very real.

SCOTUS is important. As important as the other problems if you want real solutions to *stick*.

DOD takes care of itself when the need is there. I have no doubt that this country will still be a #1 military power for decades to come.

Regs over spending, entitlements, and debt? Meh. I'll take work on the latter over the former. It's spending, entitlements, and debt that will eventually lead us to WWIII when the sovereign debt crisis comes to head.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 09:17:48 pm by bolobaby »
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2017, 10:11:55 pm »
@Maj. Bill Martin

I'll give him Gorsuch and Mattis. The rollback of coal regs was good, too.

But those things are not going to fix this country. Our sovereign debt crisis is very real. Our entitlement problem is very real. Our spending problem is very real.

That ship sailed when the primaries were decided.  In the general election, it was SCOTUS.  As it turns out, though, that may been even bigger than some of us thought.  With the badly-kept secret of Kennedy wanting to retire getting out, we're set to have a pretty solid 5-4 conservative majority.  And when Ginsberg goes, it'll be 6-3.  That is huge compared to the alternative world of a 6-3 left-wing activist court, which not only would have seen the end of the Second Amendment, but the re-imposition of a much worse version of McCain Feingold at some point, banning even more political speech.

It's possible to recover from Trump.  It would have been impossible to recover from that Court.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 10:12:25 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2017, 02:38:22 am »
Maj. Bill wrote:
"That was my basis for voting for him over Hillary.  Looks like that may be all we get, unfortunately."

Give him some time, sir.

Rome wasn't built in a day.

The DC Colossus can't be dismantled in a day, either.

The very fact that it's proving difficult to get the Pubbies in the Congress lined up behind him should console those who thought Mr. Trump would be an autocrat.

But even the Pubbies are gonna come around.
When they realize it's -their- a@@es are hangin' on the line, not so much Mr. Trump's. And that the people who voted for Trump know this.

If the second obamacare bill fails, well... start prepping on the third.

Same with the border barrier. Keep trying, and we can prevail.