Author Topic: Trump: 'Why was there the Civil War?'  (Read 14454 times)

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Re: Trump: 'Why was there the Civil War?'
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2017, 04:51:58 pm »
I'm sure you're right, but I don't trust people whose deep thoughts can only fit in the space of 140 characters.

Trumps deep thoughts can fit in 140 characters with about 125 characters left over.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2017, 04:54:31 pm »
I think what Trump is trying to say that if Jackson was alive and POTUS at the time of the Civil War it never would have happened..

It would have happened regardless of who was president.  The issue of slavery was intractable, and all of the deals and compromises in the decades prior to the Civil War merely delayed it until the development of more modern technology made it that much bloodier.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2017, 04:57:36 pm »
Damn yankees are always going to believe it was all about slavery and nothing else. 

Even if correspondence, Minutes, Diary writings and speeches declare it otherwise.

And the fact that slaves were still held in the Union.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline r9etb

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2017, 04:57:39 pm »
Damn yankees are always going to believe it was all about slavery and nothing else. 

Even if correspondence, Minutes, Diary writings and speeches declare it otherwise.

Without slavery there would have been no Civil War -- there'd have been no motive for it.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2017, 04:58:20 pm »

Yes it was:

This is a debate that will never end.

On one hand, you have the statements and documentation by those in power at the time, on both sides. For example, the Confederate States, to a one, had the issue of Slavery or giving Africans rights as their primary reason. Examples:
http://www.civil-war.net/pages/ordinances_secession.asp

On the other hand, you have tens of thousands of descendants (and wannabe descendants) of those who fought for the South who will insist that is not why their grandpappy fought (and thus not the reason for the war) it was about an invasion by the federal government on their land. Their grandpappy would never have believed and supported slavery.. (so they will say so they can say they didn't have that in their family).

To a point, they are both right. The big political reasons didn't matter to the average dirt farmer in the South when he was conscripted, he was just told that big government was invading his land. Most couldn't even read the emancipation proclamation, at that understand it. They didn't have the knowledge or information to understand what they were fighting for other than their own little corner of dirt.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 05:00:41 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline skeeter

« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2017, 04:59:12 pm »
It would have happened regardless of who was president.  The issue of slavery was intractable, and all of the deals and compromises in the decades prior to the Civil War merely delayed it until the development of more modern technology made it that much bloodier.

Yep. The die for civil war was cast in 1789. The only thing that could've prevented it was the very thing delayed by the availability of slaves, technological advancement.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2017, 05:01:41 pm »
Man singly handed dictated the Trail of Tears.  A forced march of the peaceful civilized tribes of the southeast.  Yeah that's a big heart there Donald.

And actually Andrew Jackson is my husband to my 5 great aunt.

P.S.  I'd stay away from questions about history.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2017, 05:03:51 pm »
Without slavery there would have been no Civil War -- there'd have been no motive for it.

And today we have illegal immigrants providing cheap labor, hmmmmm

Silver Pines

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2017, 05:07:09 pm »
Jackson wasn't around for this country's civil war, not even close.  Is this quote taken out of context, or is it another example of something we are supposed to overlook, lest Hillary returns to eat our children?

@cato potatoe

Lol.  :silly:

Silver Pines

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2017, 05:09:00 pm »

....and if Oswald wasn't in Dallas..... :shrug:

@mystery-ak

"....Rafael Cruz would have taken up the slack."

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2017, 05:09:49 pm »

1%'s of the South started all the crap just like 1 %'sa re doing today. They brought in  slaves for cheap labor. When the slaves learned the skilled trades-barrell making, woodworking, brick laying, carriage wheel making it dragged down the labor rate for whites doing these jobs.

Same thing is happening today with illegals except we are not bringing them in by the boatload.

Same old same old.

@r9etb

« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 05:11:22 pm by mirraflake »

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2017, 05:10:31 pm »
And today we have illegal immigrants providing cheap labor, hmmmmm
I think DJT knows exactly what he's doing by giving the leftists things like this to play with. It keeps them busy with things that he knows the general voting public does not care  at all about.

He got elected by throwing distractions to the left to occupy themselves and they apparently have still not figured out that he is to some degree playing dumb.

See, there is no more powerful position for someone than to be underestimated by one's opponents. He knows that perceiving him as a fool or an ignoramus will be irresistible to the leftist mass media. So he keeps feeding them things like this. That  makes more sense that assuming that someone with as much time and resources as DJT has at his disposal really doesn't know these things.
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2017, 05:11:01 pm »
@mystery-ak

...oh I forgot about Rafael..lol
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline r9etb

« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2017, 05:13:09 pm »
Yep. The die for civil war was cast in 1789. The only thing that could've prevented it was the very thing delayed by the availability of slaves, technological advancement.

Actually, there's good reason to  believe that technology (in the form of machines like the cotton gin) allowed slavery to remain economically feasible, and made the South a world power in cotton production.

And as world demand for cotton grew, so did demand for slave-tended plantation land ... and thus the continued friction for the expansion of slavery into new territories.  The Mason Dixon line pretty much guaranteed a war, as it led only into desert for the slave states, whereas the North gained fertile lands all the way to the Pacific.  The South had to expand slavery northward if King Cotton were to expand.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2017, 05:13:18 pm »
Aside from the War of Southern Aggression debate that will never be resolved, as for the current story, I still wonder why the President, the so called master negotiator and communicator, allows himself to step into piles of poo like this. It isn't like he was caught off guard responding to a 'gotcha' question. He tossed put that poo on the ground himself to step in.
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/trump-why-was-there-the-civil-war/article/2621749

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2017, 05:16:27 pm »
Aside from the War of Southern Aggression debate that will never be resolved, as for the current story, I still wonder why the President, the so called master negotiator and communicator, allows himself to step into piles of poo like this. It isn't like he was caught off guard responding to a 'gotcha' question. He tossed put that poo on the ground himself to step in.
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/trump-why-was-there-the-civil-war/article/2621749
Well, I proposed an explanation above. Either it is a recurrent lapse on his part that is an inferior aspect of his nature, or he is playing the left. If I knew for sure which it was, I would be in a much different  line of work.
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Silver Pines

« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2017, 05:22:53 pm »
I love the South.  I was born and raised here.  If someone disparages my beautiful region or the people who live here, I will get right in his/her face.

But I'm not going to tell myself that the Civil War wasn't fought over slavery.   Come on.  Slaveholding was wrong, and we were going to lose because of that alone.

At the same time, Yankees might want to think twice about climbing on their moral high horses for a few reasons:

Northern slave ships continued to traffic in the trade well after slavery was outlawed in the North.

Pockets of slavery existed in the North until the end of the war.

And then there was the horrible treatment freed slaves received upon arriving in the North.

So, yes, I readily admit the South had problems.  But so did the North, which is why I don't have much patience for high moral outrage on its part.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2017, 05:23:43 pm »

He's a bully who is used to getting his way.   He's never really been held accountable for the things he's said.

Silver Pines

« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2017, 05:24:10 pm »
...oh I forgot about Rafael..lol

@mystery-ak

That's how he likes it.  He's sneaky...prefers to fly low on the radar.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2017, 05:29:19 pm »

Would also add that there were two sides of this coin as it applies to the south.  For the aristocracy, land holders,  and politicians , yes was about slavery.

OTOH for the other 90%+ it was about defending your homeland, standard of living, and livelihood against a foreign invader.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 05:32:00 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2017, 05:47:06 pm »
We are forever trying to figure out what he really really meant.
Doubtful even he knows what the heck he is talking about.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2017, 05:58:17 pm »
Trumps deep thoughts can fit in 140 characters with about 125 characters left over.

:da man:
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2017, 06:01:18 pm »
@mystery-ak

The Mafia would have eventually found someone to put on the grassy knoll. Ok, it might not have been Dallas, but there would have been more opportunities down the road. Would've saved his brother's life, though...
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2017, 06:01:54 pm »

The Rebels fired the first shot..
Han shot first?
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline musiclady

« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2017, 06:03:10 pm »
Unless you happened to be an Indian.

Seriously!  What a total ignoramus!!   **nononono*
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.