Author Topic: Top conservatives reportedly plotting new TV network to challenge Fox News  (Read 6571 times)

Offline roamer_1

That's a pretty good summary.  I always figured the nasally, fast, brief New England speech pattern was related to the cold.  As well as the attitude and general outlook on life.

Nah... Northern Rockies is north and we have a drawl... different from all y'all, but the same. I can normally talk eye to eye with a Texan, and barring normal regional colloquialisms, we understand each other just fine. the change is somewhere south of Colorado, and west of Oklahoma though desert rats down in Arizona, Nevada, and New Mexico sound like they talk like me... other than the Mexican flavoring...

But we understand your'in, y'all, fixin to, and etc, as it is part of normal conversation.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 12:09:51 am by roamer_1 »

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Nah... Northern Rockies is north and we have a drawl... different from all y'all, but the same. I can normally talk eye to eye with a Texan, and barring normal regional colloquialisms, we understand each other just fine. the change is somewhere south of Colorado, and west of Oklahoma though desert rats down in Arizona, Nevada, and New Mexico sound like they talk like me... other than the Mexican flavoring...

But we understand your'in, y'all, fixin to, and etc, as it is part of normal conversation.
Once you get outside the Scandawhovian immigrant envelope (Minnesota, Eastern ND) to the west, there are a lot of folks descended from dispossessed Confederates who moved to the territories after they lost all to the carpetbaggers. Imagine my relief when I got to Western ND and ran into folks who spoke purt'near like people did back where I grew up.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

Once you get outside the Scandawhovian immigrant envelope (Minnesota, Eastern ND) to the west, there are a lot of folks descended from dispossessed Confederates who moved to the territories after they lost all to the carpetbaggers. Imagine my relief when I got to Western ND and ran into folks who spoke purt'near like people did back where I grew up.

That's probably right. I always believed Texans are rooted from the South by that means, and then came north with the cattle. I think it's the scots-irish thing... Their culture is deep in country folks... the form of dance, the fiddle, the wild spirit, the flowery descriptive language, the hardy make-do sense...

Online Smokin Joe

That's probably right. I always believed Texans are rooted from the South by that means, and then came north with the cattle. I think it's the scots-irish thing... Their culture is deep in country folks... the form of dance, the fiddle, the wild spirit, the flowery descriptive language, the hardy make-do sense...
All of that, from the foothills of Appalachia and even in clusters in the tidewater to the Rockies and beyond. Then, too, it hasn't been more than a generation or two since the great entertainments were playing and singing in get togethers or family gatherings on weekends and swapping tales was an art form.

I just got word that one of my granddaughters took third in a dance competition at Pow Wow, and won a $150 as prize money. I'm almost as tickled as she is!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

I just got word that one of my granddaughters took third in a dance competition at Pow Wow, and won a $150 as prize money. I'm almost as tickled as she is!

HAHAHAHA! Good on her. She needs a steak dinner, proud Papa... or an ice cream sundae... sumpthin. :)

:thumbsup2:  888high58888 :beer:

Online Smokin Joe

HAHAHAHA! Good on her. She needs a steak dinner, proud Papa... or an ice cream sundae... sumpthin. :)

:thumbsup2:  888high58888 :beer:
You betcha! I think I'll take her shooting...I have a new rifle that hasn't been fired yet.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 04:04:47 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis