Author Topic: Top conservatives reportedly plotting new TV network to challenge Fox News  (Read 6572 times)

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
I tape everything ... unless it's some really important breaking news.  That way I can fast forward through commercials and dumb spots.

My new TIVO has commercial skip but I haven't installed it yet.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
I guess OANN is about the best, they've been highlighting Trump's first 100 days all day.

And there wasn't a dry eye in the house when Pence spoke this morning at the SS Indiana. We watched history being made.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Any actual figures on viewership for OANN? Let's see what those are.

OANN "outperforms Fusion, Bloomberg and Al Jazeera combined, according to first quarter ratings on total hours viewed." This despite being in only 15 million households.
http://www.nationaljournal.com/politics/how-one-tv-channel-is-positioning-itself-to-be-the-next-fox-news-20150317
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

geronl

@Cyber Liberty

As to the money, if I have to sit through commercials and sponsorship, they are already getting paid. There is damn little in the form of entertainment that I am willing to support directly anymore. I refuse to support Hollywood and the Hollywood mentality.

Yep. If they offered non-Hollywood programming it might be worth some support.

Silver Pines

Newsmax tried it. The Blaze tried it. CRTV tried it. One News Now is currently trying it.

They are going to have to learn from all of those, find out the gaps, and probably unify many of the players from those networks.

One challenge is that people don't always want an echo chamber.

@AbaraXas

Agreed.  I don't need a news channel that's a TV version of TOS.  Just give me a real fair and balanced broadcast and I can make up my own mind.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@AbaraXas

Agreed.  I don't need a news channel that's a TV version of TOS.  Just give me a real fair and balanced broadcast and I can make up my own mind.

@CatherineofAragon

That's how we roll, my dear Catherine.  That's why we're here and not there anymore.  It's also why TOS is at 30% of fundraising goal at 33% of the pledge period.  Heh.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Silver Pines

@CatherineofAragon

That's how we roll, my dear Catherine.  That's why we're here and not there anymore.  It's also why TOS is at 30% of fundraising goal at 33% of the pledge period.  Heh.

@Cyber Liberty

I'd laugh, but we all know they'll find a bunch of "monthlies" under a rock at just the right time and jack that sucker nearly into the yellow.    :laugh:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@Cyber Liberty

I'd laugh, but we all know they'll find a bunch of "monthlies" under a rock at just the right time and jack that sucker nearly into the yellow.    :laugh:

We have no assurance they're not making that shit up all along.  It's beyond silly.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Silver Pines

We have no assurance they're not making that shit up all along.  It's beyond silly.

Honestly, that's what I believe.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Honestly, that's what I believe.

That's because your beautiful mind has been ruined by my corrupting filth.  Heh.
I will NOT comply.

Silver Pines

That's because your beautiful mind has been ruined by my corrupting filth.  Heh.

@Cyber Liberty

LOL

No doubt that's it.  :laugh:

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
All right. OK. Your Attention PLEASE!!

The official opening enactment of the Mutual Depreciation Society.  :patriot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mgSCKXSp9M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27eClHQxXls
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
@Cyber Liberty

Jim should have thought about it before he banned a whole bunch of people.  I used to contribute a small amount while I used the site.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Absolutely. Geez Louise, I'd be moah than happy to volunteeuh foah New England. Some people say we speak funny heah, buncha elitists. Ahh, screw'em!
Ya, Suure, You betcha!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

Now...y'all talk mighty funny up in them there cold parts.  It's like yah just can't wait to get finished and spit the words out like a bunch of pebbles.  Yah gotta savor what yah're sayin'... If'n yah aren't happy with yah're words, why bother sayin'em?  And just for the record, our tongues aren't glued to fence posts, we just like the taste...
After leaving the mid-Atlantic tidewater and the Shenandoah Valley, I got to Grand Forks, ND. Purt'near everyone talked like they'd 'yust got off the boat from Oslo'. (Say that in a singsong voice and drag out the combination vowels).

I had a combination of a Waterman's accent, some drawl with that, and a twinge of hillbilly in there from being out in the mountains 4 years.

I could have used cue cards. I had to say everything three times and write it down twice (the second time without any euphemisms) in order to be understood. A soda was a 'pop', beer, thankfully was the same pronunciation, and is in Canada, too, eh, only they use the singular form for plural there, too, as in so many deer, so many beer, no 's', at least north of here.

But the Red River Valley (of the North) accent is the one the guys who made the movie Fargo couldn't capture, it's a bit like Basque or Icelandic. So I watched Johnny Carson to learn how to speak like a Nebraskan and that got me by. Folks out this side of the state sound a lot different yet.

Anyway, the reason northern folks (at least in these parts) talk that way is it lets them keep their teeth behind their lips when it's 30 below out, 'cause that cold isn't comfortable, and the last thing you want is for your lips to freeze to your teeth. It isn't that they talk fast, they just don't mess around and get it over with.

Down south, it's warmer and all y'all have to worry about are intrepid bugs, so stretching things out a little doesn't matter much. Been there, done that, too. Out of habit, we're darned cautious about what we put our tongue on, especially in winter.

Locally: "Nordt Dakoter" (Zero tooth exposure, lips close, no snow intake.)

Elsewhere: "North Dakota" (Teeth hanging out all over the place, mouth open, snow blowing in).
Try it.
See?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
After leaving the mid-Atlantic tidewater and the Shenandoah Valley, I got to Grand Forks, ND. Purt'near everyone talked like they'd 'yust got off the boat from Oslo'. (Say that in a singsong voice and drag out the combination vowels).

I had a combination of a Waterman's accent, some drawl with that, and a twinge of hillbilly in there from being out in the mountains 4 years.

I could have used cue cards. I had to say everything three times and write it down twice (the second time without any euphemisms) in order to be understood. A soda was a 'pop', beer, thankfully was the same pronunciation, and is in Canada, too, eh, only they use the singular form for plural there, too, as in so many deer, so many beer, no 's', at least north of here.

But the Red River Valley (of the North) accent is the one the guys who made the movie Fargo couldn't capture, it's a bit like Basque or Icelandic. So I watched Johnny Carson to learn how to speak like a Nebraskan and that got me by. Folks out this side of the state sound a lot different yet.

Anyway, the reason northern folks (at least in these parts) talk that way is it lets them keep their teeth behind their lips when it's 30 below out, 'cause that cold isn't comfortable, and the last thing you want is for your lips to freeze to your teeth. It isn't that they talk fast, they just don't mess around and get it over with.

Down south, it's warmer and all y'all have to worry about are intrepid bugs, so stretching things out a little doesn't matter much. Been there, done that, too. Out of habit, we're darned cautious about what we put our tongue on, especially in winter.

Locally: "Nordt Dakoter" (Zero tooth exposure, lips close, no snow intake.)

Elsewhere: "North Dakota" (Teeth hanging out all over the place, mouth open, snow blowing in).
Try it.
See?

That's a pretty good summary.  I always figured the nasally, fast, brief New England speech pattern was related to the cold.  As well as the attitude and general outlook on life.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
How about O'Reilly replacing Graham Ledger (The Daily Ledger) on OAN?

They could pay him in stock options.   He could be Glenn Beck without that risk and elevated blood pressure.

...btw, I like Graham Ledger's show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKoaYc_4z_c
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

They could pay him in stock options.   He could be Glenn Beck without that risk and elevated blood pressure.

I love the pained look on his face as he's listening to Perez.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Another story is saying Roger Ailes may well be involved in trying to get this network up and running.

http://theweek.com/speedreads/695414/roger-ailes-launching-new-conservative-news-network

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Another story is saying Roger Ailes may well be involved in trying to get this network up and running.

http://theweek.com/speedreads/695414/roger-ailes-launching-new-conservative-news-network

I would think he would be out for blood about now.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
One challenge is that people don't always want an echo chamber.
Good point.  I don't want to watch a news channel that doesn't let me know what the other side is saying.  I can do the filtering myself.  I don't watch Shep Smith, but I do like seeing other non-conservatives on FoxNews because I want to know what the other side is saying/thinking.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
This crucifying people based on allegations seems oddly familiar.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

I decided to turn on OAN so I'm going to watch it a while.

It's interesting, at Amazon's website it tells me it doesn't support my firestick, but I'm watching it so how is that possible?  I wonder if they'll still charge me the five bucks?
I will NOT comply.

Online Smokin Joe

Good point.  I don't want to watch a news channel that doesn't let me know what the other side is saying.  I can do the filtering myself.  I don't watch Shep Smith, but I do like seeing other non-conservatives on FoxNews because I want to know what the other side is saying/thinking.
I don't mind some non conservatives. I just wish there weren't so danged many of them.

C S Lewis

geronl

That'd be the end of OAN hopefully