Author Topic: Barack Obama seemed different, but he's just another money-grubbing politician  (Read 511 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Barack Obama seemed different, but he's just another money-grubbing politician
Sydney Morning Herald/AU, Apr 28, 2017, Anne Summers

Et tu, Barack? That was my reaction when I heard the news that former US President Barack Obama has agreed to a speaking gig on Wall Street for which he will be paid $US400,000 ($535,000).

Not bad coin in anyone's language. It's twice what Bill Clinton commanded when he went on the post-presidential speaking circuit.  It's in addition to the $US200,000 annual pension, plus lifetime free healthcare Obama gets for having been President. It's on top of the $US65 million he and wife Michelle are reported to have negotiated for their book deal with Penguin Random House.

And it's not like he was hard up to start with. He reported an adjusted income of $US477,383 in 2015 and, just during the eight years he was in Washington, he earned $US15.6 million in royalties from his wonderful books Dreams From My Father, Audacity of Hope and Of Thee I Sing: A Letter to My Daughters.

This man does not need the money.

But what he does need is for us to continue to believe in him, to learn from him and, above all, to continue to respect him.  And more than ever, we need him. We need him to stand above the chaotic fray of Trumpian politics and help us see clearly what is in jeopardy, what must be preserved, how we can save our ideals and our polity.

This one seemingly greedy act has put all that in jeopardy.

He's no different from all the others. Just another money-grubbing politician.

I can scarcely believe it. I certainly don't want to.

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/barack-obama-seemed-different-but-hes-just-another-moneygrubbing-politician-20170427-gvu4c4.html

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Michelle is also on the speaking circuit now. 

Interesting ... how the truth about these two grifters never made it to Australia.   :smokin:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
That's odd.  I never saw him as anything other than a corrupt, money-grubbing bastard.  I suppose I should welcome people like this author to the party, but I cannot do so in good conscience, knowing he'll fall for the next Corruptocrat that comes down the pike.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Polly Ticks

In other late-breaking news, water is wet.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra