Author Topic: It Looks Like The New ObamaCare Repeal Bill is on Life Support as a Large Number of Tuesday Group Republicans Oppose it.  (Read 6620 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: THE HILL

URL: http://thehill.com/homenews/house/330966-new-obamacare-repeal-bill-on-life-support

by Scott Wong

The tide is quickly turning against the new ObamaCare repeal legislation.

At least 21 Republicans have said they would vote no on the revised GOP healthcare bill negotiated by centrist Rep. Tom MacArthur (R-N.J.) and conservative Rep. Mark Meadows (R-N.C.).

Those "no" votes include Reps. Patrick Meehan (Pa.), Ryan Costello (Pa.), Barbara Comstock (R-Va.), Jaime Herrera Beutler (Wash.) and John Katko (N.Y.), all centrists who had reservations about the previous ObamaCare repeal bill that was pulled from a floor vote last month because of a lack of GOP support.

On top of that, a trio of usually reliable Republicans — Foreign Affairs Committee Chairman Ed Royce (Calif.), Adam Kinzinger (Ill.) and Mario Diaz-Balart (Fla.) — told the Hill that they were undecided on the new bill after saying they were yes votes on the earlier legislation.

“I’m absolutely undecided,” Diaz-Balart, a member of the GOP whip team, told The Hill. “I was a yes before, but there are a lot of red flags” with the revised bill.

It’s unclear how dozens of other Republicans would vote this time, but the number of Republicans publicly opposed or leaning against the bill is enough to raise doubts about whether the House would pass it in its current form.

Twenty-three GOP defections would be enough to kill House Republicans’ ObamaCare repeal-and-replacement plan, assuming every House Democrat votes against it.

Centrists opposed to the new bill are largely echoing Rep. Charlie Dent (R-Pa.), who said the negotiations between Meadows and MacArthur only exacerbated his earlier problems with the bill.

The legislation would allow states to opt out of some of ObamaCare’s requirements and could result in people losing their current health coverage or facing much higher premiums. Dent, in an interview on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” on Thursday, said he worried that people with pre-existing health conditions might be left without insurance because of the changes, something supporters of the bill have fiercely denied.

Many members of the centrist Tuesday Group members complained that the MacArthur-Meadows amendment pushed the bill too far to the right, and they privately griped that MacArthur had shifted blame for the stalled healthcare effort from conservatives to centrists. 

The changes seemed aimed at winning over conservatives — and those efforts proved successful.

The approximately 30-member House Freedom Caucus endorsed the new bill Wednesday after opposing the earlier legislation.

In the process, however, the new bill might have lost just as many centrists.

(EXCERPT) CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST...
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 01:48:19 am by SirLinksALot »

Offline the_doc

What a hoot!  Now, let's see if Trump threatens to primary them.  (Actually, I think a lot of them will get primaried even if Trump doesn't push for it.)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Online corbe

What a hoot!  Now, let's see if Trump threatens to primary them.  (Actually, I think a lot of them will get primaried even if Trump doesn't push for it.)

By the time this healthcare mess is over They'll be no one left he's not gonna primary in 2018.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
The insurance lobby is working overtime to protect their baby!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online corbe

The insurance lobby is working overtime to protect their baby!

Ryan and McCarthy are their Loyal Soldiers.
    How hard would it have possibly been to just reintroduce the Repeal bill from 2015 and DARE McConnell and/or Trump to kill it?
    Cowards is exactly right, the stench of Lobby Money is just to great.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
    Ryan and McCarthy are their Loyal Soldiers.
    How hard would it have possibly been to just reintroduce the Repeal bill from 2015 and DARE McConnell and/or Trump to kill it?
    Cowards is exactly right, the stench of Lobby Money is just to great.

Not hard at all if they weren't owned!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online corbe

Republicans won't vote on ObamaCare repeal bill this week

By Scott Wong - 04/27/17 10:30 PM EDT

Republicans won't vote on ObamaCare repeal bill this week

House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) confirmed Thursday night that GOP leadership will not bring a revised ObamaCare repeal bill to the floor this week.

White House officials had been pushing for a vote by President Trump's 100th day in office on Saturday, but it was clear Thursday night that the 216 GOP votes needed to pass the healthcare bill had not materialized.

At least 21 Republicans had come out against the bill, with many more undecided. Leaders can only afford 22 GOP defections.

"We are not voting on healthcare tomorrow or Saturday," McCarthy told reporters after a nearly two-hour leadership meeting in Speaker Paul Ryan's (R-Wis.) office in the Capitol.

<..snip..>

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/331018-republicans-wont-vote-on-obamacare-repeal-bill-this-week

Offline Frank Cannon

Centrists opposed to the new bill are largely echoing Rep. Charlie Dent (R-Pa.), who said the negotiations between Meadows and MacArthur only exacerbated his earlier problems with the bill.

I know Charlie Dent. I have been with him on a few occasions where he tells someone one thing and will turn around and tell the guy behind him the complete opposite. He is a dirty shitbag of the highest order.

At his core he is a Liberal Rat and the only reason he is still an R is because they gerrymandered a district that is largely R supervoters and he has a ton of cash.

Offline endicom

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

I know Charlie Dent. I have been with him on a few occasions where he tells someone one thing and will turn around and tell the guy behind him the complete opposite. He is a dirty shitbag of the highest order.

At his core he is a Liberal Rat and the only reason he is still an R is because they gerrymandered a district that is largely R supervoters and he has a ton of cash.

I think there are quite a few just like him personally.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Quote:

The legislation would allow states to opt out of some of ObamaCare’s requirements and could result in people losing their current health coverage or facing much higher premiums.

That is not what Trump has told the American people.  This isn't business as usual.  Americans want their premiums to go down.  That is what Trump promised.  Another failure.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
When I bought my first house the insurance was fairly reasonable and the coverage was pretty good.  Today, not so much.  It's hard to compare humans and houses because they're not apples and apples.  But I do pay more and get less.

Now let's switch to something totally unrelated to either - saltine crackers.  That's about as far away from the insurance topic as one can possibly get.  Except that I do pay more and get less.  The price has gone up unproportional to inflation and they deliver fewer crackers in a box.  What gives?

Silly as it may sound all of the above have a common denominator.  And that common denominator goes by many names such as overhead, cost of doing business, and red tape.  Mash them all together and they spell Big Government.

I won't go into a long explanation of all the interrelated connections but I'm very tempted.  But there's a simpler path.  Just ask most any question related to prices, the economy or overhead and you end up with the same answer.

Why does hamburger cost $ 3.00 a pound? - Big Government.

Why is my house insurance cost totally out of whack? - Big Government.

Why is our health care industry in shambles? - Big Government.

Why the hell can't they leave my damn saltine crackers alone?

Online DB

When I bought my first house the insurance was fairly reasonable and the coverage was pretty good.  Today, not so much.  It's hard to compare humans and houses because they're not apples and apples.  But I do pay more and get less.

Now let's switch to something totally unrelated to either - saltine crackers.  That's about as far away from the insurance topic as one can possibly get.  Except that I do pay more and get less.  The price has gone up unproportional to inflation and they deliver fewer crackers in a box.  What gives?

Silly as it may sound all of the above have a common denominator.  And that common denominator goes by many names such as overhead, cost of doing business, and red tape.  Mash them all together and they spell Big Government.

I won't go into a long explanation of all the interrelated connections but I'm very tempted.  But there's a simpler path.  Just ask most any question related to prices, the economy or overhead and you end up with the same answer.

You can't print trillions of dollars and not devalue them.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

Spot on!    :beer:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

:amen:  :amen:  and  :amen:  The federal reserve banks and the income tax have undermined our currency!  Time to return to the gold standard! Or SOME standard!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline LMAO

That's what they are going to do with  our currency anyways eventually to address our crushing debt
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline LMAO

You and I know the problem

Unfortunately, our fellow citizens thinks the reason prices on goods and services rise is because of the greed of the sellers. They want more and more government programs and services and are told their rich neighbor is going to pay for them
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
You and I know the problem

Unfortunately, our fellow citizens thinks the reason prices on goods and services rise is because of the greed of the sellers. They want more and more government programs and services and are told their rich neighbor is going to pay for them

I wish I could join you in LMAO but I find myself crying my eyes out instead.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline LMAO

I wish I could join you in LMAO but I find myself crying my eyes out instead.

Yeah. And there isn't anything anyone is going to do about it. There doesn't seem to be the stomach in DC to make the cuts that are necessary to get us on some kind of sound fiscal footing.

Math will win out in the end. It always does. It's not a matter of if but when

Barry Goldwater

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Yeah. And there isn't anything anyone is going to do about it. There doesn't seem to be the stomach in DC to make the cuts that are necessary to get us on some kind of sound fiscal footing.

Math will win out in the end. It always does. It's not a matter of if but when

There doesn't seem to be the stomach in DC for much of anything other than serving the needs of their K Street masters!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 11:40:53 am by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
Is there a part of ObamaCare that is so awesome that it can't be obtained in a free market?

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Is there a part of ObamaCare that is so awesome that it can't be obtained in a free market?
You figure out how people with pre-existing conditions will end up covered for their exorbitant costs at the same price I, who never use the health care system, does.

That's what Obamacare wants. The free market says that's ludicrous, dishonest and impossible.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024