Author Topic: Obama slams media that lets people reinforce 'their own realities'  (Read 1479 times)

rangerrebew

Obama slams media that lets people reinforce 'their own realities'
by Pete Kasperowicz | Apr 24, 2017, 12:22 PM

Former President Barack Obama on Monday partly blamed the nation's splintered politics on a media structure that lets people only listen to or read media outlets they agree with, which prevents them from hearing the other side.

"Because of changes in the media, we now have a situation in which everybody is listening to people who already agree with them, and are further and further reinforcing their own realities to the neglect of the common reality that allows us to have a healthy debate, and then try to find common ground and actually move solutions forward," Obama said in his first set of remarks since he left the White House in January.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/obama-slams-media-that-lets-people-reinforce-their-own-realities/article/2621075
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 12:31:19 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Obama slams media that lets people reinforce 'their own realities'
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 12:34:12 pm »
Oh. I thought he was 'coming out' against all the tranny stuff in the news. My bad.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 12:39:59 pm »
A media that "lets" us listen to whom we wish.   Spoken like the petty tyrant he is.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 12:44:52 pm »
Uh huh.  I'm sure he regularly watches FoxNews ... just in the interest of hearing a different viewpoint.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline LMAO

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 10:58:01 pm »
It sounds like he is looking to pin blame for his failures as president.

Liberals have CNN, MSNBC, NPR,NYT's, ABC,CBS,NBC,CNBC,Washington Post, ect ect slanted towards them and the GOP has one news network slanted towards them(FOX) and liberals whine and whine
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 11:02:34 pm »
It sounds like he is looking to pin blame for his failures as president.

Liberals have CNN, MSNBC, NPR,NYT's, ABC,CBS,NBC,CNBC,Washington Post, ect ect slanted towards them and the GOP has one news network slanted towards them(FOX) and liberals whine and whine
I have never viewed FOX's failure to be strongly liberally biased as being slanted toward conservatism. It may appear thus, by comparison, but in actuality it is in the middle. Conservatism has had paltry representation in the media for 50 years, and most of that in print or on the radio before the internet.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 08:02:19 am »
Is Obama still identifying as a Lone Wolf?

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 01:40:46 pm »
"Because of changes in the media, we now have a situation in which everybody is listening to people who already agree with them, and are further and further reinforcing their own realities to the neglect of the common reality....

But the real question is this: who gets to decide what that "common reality" really is?

The entire justice system in this country is premised on the recognition that we cannot agree on a "common reality".  The role of a jury isn't to decide what the law is -- it's to decide what the facts are.  And if we have set up an entire justice system promised on the truth that we do not agree on a "common reality", then how the hell is it reasonable to expect us to agree on a 'common reality" in society at large? 
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 01:44:58 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 06:30:51 pm »
But the real question is this: who gets to decide what that "common reality" really is?

The entire justice system in this country is premised on the recognition that we cannot agree on a "common reality".  The role of a jury isn't to decide what the law is -- it's to decide what the facts are.  And if we have set up an entire justice system promised on the truth that we do not agree on a "common reality", then how the hell is it reasonable to expect us to agree on a 'common reality" in society at large?
This ties in with the leftist idea of "diversity", where people of different ethnicities and backgrounds and 'preferences' all sit around and agree.
That hive mind does not allow for difference of opinion nor perception, only that the like opinions come from a variety of sociocultural and economic pigeonholes.
With that in mind there can be only one "common reality", and that is whatever they say it is.

C S Lewis

Offline berdie

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 10:17:43 pm »
Obama is, and always has been, one of the most condescending, obnoxious presidents in my lifetime.  If you don't agree with him you are ignorant and ill informed. It never occurs to him that people might have informed opinions that are different from his.

I was so hoping that once out of office, I would never see or hear from him again. But much like Pelosi...he is the gift that keeps on giving and giving and giving.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 11:05:25 pm »
Obama is, and always has been, one of the most condescending, obnoxious presidents in my lifetime.  If you don't agree with him you are ignorant and ill informed. It never occurs to him that people might have informed opinions that are different from his.

I was so hoping that once out of office, I would never see or hear from him again. But much like Pelosi...he is the gift that keeps on giving and giving and giving.
He wants to make more money off his time in grade than the Clintons. If those crackas can do it he can, too **nononono*

C S Lewis

Offline skeeter

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 11:14:29 pm »
A psychotic inability to accept that some people have well thought-out opinions different from your own is the hallmark of a progressive.

Offline endicom

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 11:21:12 pm »
Former President Barack Obama on Monday partly blamed the nation's splintered politics on a media structure that lets people only listen to or read media outlets they agree with, which prevents them from hearing the other side.

He has a point. I mean, just look at how everyone here agrees about Trump.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 11:21:30 pm »
A psychotic inability to accept that some people have well thought-out opinions different from your own is the hallmark of a progressive.
Yabbut, @skeeter , that's because they don't acknowledge any opinions but their own--it just isn't possible for anyone to think differently without being one of those people their mother/teacher/professor/guru/facebook friends/terrorist cell/etc....warned them about.

C S Lewis

Offline skeeter

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2017, 12:11:34 am »
Yabbut, @skeeter , that's because they don't acknowledge any opinions but their own--it just isn't possible for anyone to think differently without being one of those people their mother/teacher/professor/guru/facebook friends/terrorist cell/etc....warned them about.

Luckily for them a convenient one word derogatory label will suffice for an argument so they don't have to be bothered with debating their positions.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2017, 12:33:57 am »
You know, I don't watch much news-programs. I don't get on TBR to agree with you all. I get on here because you agree with me.... :laugh:
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline berdie

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2017, 03:37:23 am »
He wants to make more money off his time in grade than the Clintons. If those crackas can do it he can, too **nononono*

Of course you are right. Follow the benjamins.

And frankly, looking at things from the other side, if some fool were to offer me those kind of dollars to come and speak I'd jump on it. I'm sure I could think up something to blather about.

Too darned bad I just give my valuable opinions away for free. :laugh:

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2017, 03:42:39 am »
This from the POTUS who divided this nation like no other.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2017, 03:59:15 am »
Is Obama still identifying as a Lone Wolf?

Nah. He's still identifying as the father of a street thug that got shot.

Offline kalee

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2017, 04:06:54 am »
Does this include Bruce Jenner and Rachel Dalziel? Sarc/

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2017, 04:52:20 am »

Too darned bad I just give my valuable opinions away for free. :laugh:
You said it!  :beer:  :laugh:

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2017, 04:53:23 am »
This from the POTUS who divided this nation like no other.
Well, first he got the fools rolling in money.

Phase 2: Separate the fools and their money.

He has a dream....

C S Lewis

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2017, 09:42:47 am »

My liberal friends believe media outlets of the Left are mostly accurate.  Sure they get a little off track at time, but by and large give it to them straight.  On the other hand, they also believe Fox news is 100% propaganda that has no resemblance to the truth at all.

When pressed for details they always give the same answer: Sean Hannity.  In their view, because Hannity is on 1 hour per day the entire 24 hour broadcast is ultra-right full on fascist propaganda.  It's not that they actually watch Hannity to see for themselves, or any other part of Fox News for that matter, they just take the comments they read on Facebook and run with that.

----

As youngsters we have a lot of curiosity.  We might take apart a watch to see how it works or see what happens when we stick a wire into a light socket.  It's all part of the process of learning.  I had a lot of the same curiosities and did a lot of the same stupid things too.  WWII also fascinated me because so much of it was all around me growing up.  And in the back of my mind there was always this little voice asking, "How could this have possibly happened?"

It took a long, long time to get the answers.  Bits and pieces of the puzzle would fall into place via history classes in college, books or simply asking lots of questions.  Yet it still took the best part of 40 years for it all to fall into place.  The more I learned there was always another "why" lurking right around the corner.  So I kept searching for answers, the questions were too important to let go.

A guy can learn a great deal if he asks "why" long enough.  And if nothing else I've learned to pay attention to historians because when they say "we've seen this before" all sorts of red flags go up.  And we've seen this before.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2017, 11:14:52 am »
My liberal friends believe media outlets of the Left are mostly accurate.  Sure they get a little off track at time, but by and large give it to them straight.  On the other hand, they also believe Fox news is 100% propaganda that has no resemblance to the truth at all.

When pressed for details they always give the same answer: Sean Hannity.  In their view, because Hannity is on 1 hour per day the entire 24 hour broadcast is ultra-right full on fascist propaganda.  It's not that they actually watch Hannity to see for themselves, or any other part of Fox News for that matter, they just take the comments they read on Facebook and run with that.

----

As youngsters we have a lot of curiosity.  We might take apart a watch to see how it works or see what happens when we stick a wire into a light socket.  It's all part of the process of learning.  I had a lot of the same curiosities and did a lot of the same stupid things too.  WWII also fascinated me because so much of it was all around me growing up.  And in the back of my mind there was always this little voice asking, "How could this have possibly happened?"

It took a long, long time to get the answers.  Bits and pieces of the puzzle would fall into place via history classes in college, books or simply asking lots of questions.  Yet it still took the best part of 40 years for it all to fall into place.  The more I learned there was always another "why" lurking right around the corner.  So I kept searching for answers, the questions were too important to let go.

A guy can learn a great deal if he asks "why" long enough.  And if nothing else I've learned to pay attention to historians because when they say "we've seen this before" all sorts of red flags go up.  And we've seen this before.

I don't watch FOX as I don't have cable. Over the years, whenever I have heard liberals claim FOX News lies, I have asked for an example. I'm talking Rolling Stones rape story or 60 minutes  GWB National Guard story type lies and not retractions were they may have gotten a story wrong. Usually their replies are a general statement about being a propaganda arm of the GOP or they make me the issue. Never anything specific.

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy