Author Topic: The wall is out: Latest GOP offer to avoid shutdown excludes money for border wall  (Read 3643 times)

Silver Pines

Oh stop it.   The plan always was for us to initially pay for the wall and recover our costs through taxing money being sent to Mexico.   

And as with George HW Bush's "read my lips,  no new taxes!"  campaign pledge,  there is nothing wrong with the promise,  what is wrong is the breaking of it. 

Yes,  i'm getting annoyed that Trump feels like he can let this sit for awhile,   but it is not yet time to accuse him of breaking that promise.   

I fully believe the reelection of his administration is completely tied to constructing that wall,  and if he doesn't do it,  he will feel the shame of being defeated in the next election.

@DiogenesLamp

You're fooling yourself.  He's putting this off until 2018, and then there'll be some reason to put it off again.  Then 2020 will roll around, and it will be, "You have to vote for Trump, because we'll be able to get the wall built this time around, and this is the most important election of our lifetime!"

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
The wall is unnecessary,  especially now that President Trump is trying to do what so many of us have demanded - enforce the existing laws.   By all accounts, illegal immigration is down, way down.   I give Trump credit where it is due,  including to have the common sense to not let the government be shut down by insisting the wall be funded.   

It turns out the that solution to the illegal immigration problem may well be simple resolve.     

The billions that would be wasted on a wall can be put to better use in other, more worthy infrastructure projects.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline DiogenesLamp

@DiogenesLamp

You're fooling yourself.  He's putting this off until 2018, and then there'll be some reason to put it off again.  Then 2020 will roll around, and it will be, "You have to vote for Trump, because we'll be able to get the wall built this time around, and this is the most important election of our lifetime!"

I believe your perception is incorrect,  and I believe my perception is correct.   So far in my evaluation of Mr. Trump,  he has turned out to be less liberal than I expected.    I think Trump will get that wall started before the next election cycle or I believe he will be toast.   

The margin of his victory will not be decided by die-hard conservatives like us,   but it will be decided by "deplorables"  in the rust-belts of Ohio and Michigan, etc.    If they see him as not keeping his word (which they will if he doesn't get that wall started)   they will vote for the Democrat like they usually do. 

Trump "gets"  the politics of his coalition,  and he will build that wall because the Union voters he pulled to his side this last year will desert him if they don't see some actual results.

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline DiogenesLamp

It turns out the that solution to the illegal immigration problem may well be simple resolve.   

Which will only last till the next Democrat or Rino Republican administration,  in which case we will once more have to deal with the problem.   

The billions that would be wasted on a wall can be put to better use in other, more worthy infrastructure projects.

There is nothing more worthy than setting into stone a policy that the United States will take it's illegal immigration laws seriously.   And by "setting in stone"  I mean a tangible and permanent proof of resolve represented by a wall. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The wall is unnecessary,  especially now that President Trump is trying to do what so many of us have demanded - enforce the existing laws.   By all accounts, illegal immigration is down, way down.   I give Trump credit where it is due,  including to have the common sense to not let the government be shut down by insisting the wall be funded.   

Aside from the 'surge'--all those poor little waifs who managed to show up at the border from all over at the same time, sans parental supervision?

Get real. Our economy is spanked by the Obama years, and with Trump saying he'll have the laws enforced, there may be fewer coming across, but the smugglers are getting plenty of heroin in (even the fentanyl laced stuff).

Failure to put up some sort of physical barrier will make a difference, if not now, then in the long run. Putting the barrier up, now when it will be cheaper (more people need the work) than it will when the economy is rolling (who wants to go down there and work when there is plenty right at home) will  ensure policy is set, at least from the outside.

When the economy is rolling and there is a Democrat in office again, the lack of a barrier will do absolutely nothing to hinder a renewed flow of illegals, and DHS and the DOJ won't either..

Build it, you have it. Rely on present circumstance to keep people out later, and you'll be overrun.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

Like what? What other project will have the long-term ROI?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis