Author Topic: Ted Cruz Introduces Bill for $14 Billion Seized from ‘El Chapo’ to Fund Border Wall  (Read 5280 times)

Offline libertybele

The article says: "$14 billion seized from cartel drug lord Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman".

I would think that the U.S. has the money.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline skeeter

Other countries have El Chapo assets as well. Maybe the 14 billion is the portion in the US, but I can't find any info on how much is within our reach.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Other countries have El Chapo assets as well. Maybe the 14 billion is the portion in the US, but I can't find any info on how much is within our reach.

$14 billion would get a long ways towards establishing a real, physical barrier.

And, as for the Mexican government trying to claim it, where did the money come from?  It wasn't Mexico.

Offline SirLinksALot

How perverse is this? We might see funding for Planned Parenthood, but none for the Border Wall !!

Offline libertybele

How perverse is this? We might see funding for Planned Parenthood, but none for the Border Wall !!

Sickening, disgusting and it makes me angry!

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline skeeter

$14 billion would get a long ways towards establishing a real, physical barrier.

And, as for the Mexican government trying to claim it, where did the money come from?  It wasn't Mexico.

The democrats threatened to close the government over 1.4 billion Trump asked for.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
The democrats threatened to close the government over 1.4 billion Trump asked for.

So, let 'em!  What is wrong with our "representatives"?  Just do the right thing!

Offline libertybele

IF this bill were to make it through the Senate and pass and then approved by Congress ... Cruz would be a hero!  Trump would be absolutely infuriated.  He's not going to let it happen.  If he was smart, he'd run with the idea and make an e.o.

Offline libertybele

So, let 'em!  What is wrong with our "representatives"?  Just do the right thing!

Simple.  There are RINO's in Congress who don't want the wall. Complete funding for the wall has been denied since 2006.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

The article says: "$14 billion seized from cartel drug lord Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman".
I seriously doubt El Chapo would have placed all his assets within reach of the US govt.

I believe the US will try to get at those, but no doubt will not have total success, especially if not in this country or with claims from other countries that the assets are theirs.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
The wall is a waste of money.  There are far more worthy infrastructure projects than the wall.   Trump's rhetoric has already been effective in stemming much illegal immigration.   To the extent more border security is needed,  beef up border patrols and electronic surveillance. 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
The wall is a waste of money.  There are far more worthy infrastructure projects than the wall.   Trump's rhetoric has already been effective in stemming much illegal immigration.   To the extent more border security is needed,  beef up border patrols and electronic surveillance.

I wonder why so many border patrol types want a wall?

Offline skeeter

Mexico is a lousy neighbor. A fence will make them a better one. 

Just build the damn wall.

Offline Mesaclone

Think bigger and use any and all seized drug money and assets (Seized by the Feds). The real question would be, is this a fiscal bill that requires 60 votes or a crime bill that only needs 50. I honestly don't know the answer and hope someone here is enough of a parliamentarian to know the right answer.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 03:07:03 pm by Mesaclone »
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline Mesaclone

I wonder why so many border patrol types want a wall?

To be fair, there are places along the border where agents prefer a technological barrier coupled with strong fence barriers to an actual wall. There are also long stretches where a genuine wall (also with tech support) is a better barrier. So the entire border is not a one size fits all...and I have no doubt that all of this will factor in to the actual construction. "Wall" in this context does not equate to something like the Great Wall in China...but neither is it just a big fence. What it will be is something in between and it will vary according to terrain and other tactical factors.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
To be fair, there are places along the border where agents prefer a technological barrier coupled with strong fence barriers to an actual wall. There are also long stretches where a genuine wall (also with tech support) is a better barrier. So the entire border is not a one size fits all...and I have no doubt that all of this will factor in to the actual construction. "Wall" in this context does not equate to something like the Great Wall in China...but neither is it just a big fence. What it will be is something in between and it will vary according to terrain and other tactical factors.

I agree that what he probably meant was "physical barrier".  I'm fine with that.

I agree that what he probably meant was "physical barrier".  I'm fine with that.
Bullets make a pretty effective physical barrier as well.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

And, why the hell do we want to expose our border patrol guys to bullets if we don't have to?

Offline libertybele

So do land mines!  Announce to the Mexican government and blast it over their airwaves that the U.S. has a zero tolerance policy for illegal entry ... land mines will be in place along the border with in (x) time ...enter at your own risk.  Problem solved. 

I believe we still need a wall to illustrate a physical barrier...the barrier will be a reminder that a) there are landmines and b) zero tolerance.

And, why the hell do we want to expose our border patrol guys to bullets if we don't have to?
Really?  Exposed? The same way, for instance we exposed our guys lobbing a bomb into Afghanistan or sending missiles into Syria?

Are you seriously suggesting that we need to have a hand to hand combat using bullets to counter criminals that cross the border in order to stop them?

And BTW, there are thousands of patriots (myself included) that would defend out country from intrusion without the BP.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 05:34:31 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »

Offline GrouchoTex

I like this. I think we should push members of congress to vote for it.
Added bonus:
If some voted against it, we'd see their true core beliefs about the issue.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Really?  Exposed? The same way, for instance we exposed our guys lobbing a bomb into Afghanistan or sending missiles into Syria?

Are you seriously suggesting that we need to have a hand to hand combat using bullets to counter criminals that cross the border in order to stop them?

And BTW, there are thousands of patriots (myself included) that would defend out country from intrusion without the BP.

What?   :shrug:

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
IF this bill were to make it through the Senate and pass and then approved by Congress ... Cruz would be a hero!  Trump would be absolutely infuriated.  He's not going to let it happen.  If he was smart, he'd run with the idea and make an e.o.
Maybe behind the scenes, but they are already calling it "Trump's Wall" leaving out that Cruz was for this years ago. Trump could E.O. that all Federally confiscated narco cash be used for the wall, or a high percentage thereof, or continue to take credit for the idea..
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

True enough. With varying substrate, terrain, and need for water access, the solution to the problem will vary. For a significant portion of the border, a physical wall will work, but even that will have to have some sort of surveillance and a rapid reaction force in case the coyotes or cartels breach it. In other areas the solution will be a different barrier or other technology, but the whole idea is to either close the border to crossing, or to channel the illegal border violators into terrain where they can be more easily captured. If thy want to fight, such terrain will be tactically advantageous to our people, not theirs.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

Well, guys like Brian Terry were exposed by the last administration. http://joshuapundit.blogspot.com/2011/06/fast-and-furious-how-dept-of-justice.html, and what's more, that administration armed the folks on the other side.

I would think there would be opportunities for jobs as border security officers, and yes, in a pinch, there are a lot of us who would show up with our own kit to to defend the borders.

C S Lewis