Author Topic: Spending Bill Battle: U.S. Government Might Shut Down Over Border Wall  (Read 1432 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: THE STREET

https://www.thestreet.com/story/14096851/1/u-s-government-might-shut-down-next-week-over-border-wall.html

by Emily Stewart

A fight over whether to fund a wall at the U.S.-Mexico border could shut down the government next week.

Office of Management and Budget Director Mick Mulvaney said on Thursday that money for President Trump's proposed border wall must be part of the spending bill Congress must pass by April 28 to avoid a shutdown of the federal government. Democrats, however, aren't going for it.

The former South Carolina congressman said in an interview with the Associated Press that the wall is a "tremendous priority" for the Trump administration and will be a top request on the White House wish list for spending legislation.

"We want wall funding. We want (immigration) agents. Those are our priorities," Mulvaney said. "We know there are a lot of people on the Hill, especially in the Democratic Party, who don't like the wall, but they lost the election. And the president should, I think, at least have the opportunity to fund one of his highest priorities in the first funding bill under his administration."

Matt House, spokesman for Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY), shot back at Mulvaney's remarks.

"Everything had been moving smoothly until the administration moved in with a heavy hand," he said. "Not only are Democrats opposed to the wall, there is significant Republican opposition as well."

Democrats have been resistant to funding a border wall. They've warned that including funding for it, or defunding Planned Parenthood, would be "poison pills" in any budget legislation. To get a spending bill through the Senate requires 60 votes, and Republicans have 52 seats, meaning at least eight Democrats will have to get on board.

(EXCERPT) CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST...

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
Last time they told us dead babies would be stacked up in the streets if the government shut down.  How are they going to top that this time around?

Online kevindavis007

I thought that Mexico was going to pay for the wall.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Online libertybele

I thought that Mexico was going to pay for the wall.

Congress has to approve the start up $$ to get the ball rolling. IF the RINO's in Congress will approve funding for a wall that the people want, I have no doubt that the end game will result in Mexico paying for it.   :coffee:
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 01:00:11 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Hoodat

In order to avoid a shutdown, there is always option 2:

STOP SPENDING MONEY YOU DON'T HAVE AND START LIVING WITHIN YOUR MEANS.

It is well within the Constitutional authority of the Executive Branch to do this.  The Executive Branch enforces the law.  The Executive Branch spends the money.  If there is not enough money to cover all the expenditures, then choose which expenditures will get covered and which ones will have to wait.

This ain't rocket science.  It would be so nice to see a Chief Executive actually do what anyone else would have to do in this situation.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Let the government "shut down" over the issue of a border wall.
It's important for the future of the country.

Let it shut down for a week.
Let it shut down for a month.
Who really gives a damn?

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Yeah it's too bad the GOP doesn't have a majority in the Senate, otherwise they could ram this right thru...oh wait.

Time to go nuclear end the 60 vote cloture rule. If you have the majority of the chamber you should control the chamber. Every state legislature does it this way to my knowledge.

If we want 60 votes on something, pass a constitutional amendment to overturn a court ruling with 60 votes.
The Republic is lost.

Online corbe

Is their any realistic hope that were not gonna get the same thing we always get-another CR crammed down our throats as the CNN countdown clock whines down?  If Ryan bungles this, it will become painfully obvious to most everyone that the kid is above his pay grade and has lost control of his caucus, that's when he throws the Hastert Rule out the window to the President's delight.

Lather, Reince, Repeat
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Victoria33

Eight Democrat senators will never agree to it which means government shut down.

Offline Hondo69

If the government shuts down who will collect all the data they use to spy on innocent American citizens?

Google

If the government shuts down who will fund terrorism across the globe?

Iran

Should I go on - I'm loaded for bear.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Re: Spending Bill Battle: U.S. Government Might Shut Down Over Border Wall
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2017, 07:13:10 am »
Last time they told us dead babies would be stacked up in the streets if the government shut down.  How are they going to top that this time around?
Obama phones will be shut off.

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2017, 07:31:42 am »
   Is their any realistic hope that were not gonna get the same thing we always get-another CR crammed down our throats as the CNN countdown clock whines down?  If Ryan bungles this, it will become painfully obvious to most everyone that the kid is above his pay grade and has lost control of his caucus, that's when he throws the Hastert Rule out the window to the President's delight.

GOP Speaker of the House Dennis Hastert threw his rule out the window, and hopefully Ryan will choose not to invoke any "principle" in his name.
I have no hope that a pork filled CR won't get passed by the GOP, nor that the Republican standard bearer Donald J Trump won't sign it.

Meet the new Boss.

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2017, 08:21:12 am »
If the government shuts down who will collect all the data they use to spy on innocent American citizens?

Google

If the government shuts down who will fund terrorism across the globe?

Iran

Should I go on - I'm loaded for bear.

I'd just like to add that, no matter what anyone says, that E&J makes a fine Peach Brandy. 0005
I hope the Republicans do what they always do and offer a polished turd to the stupid voters to shut em up.

But I don't want anyone to think I have any special knowledge of the future or insider information.  The fact is no one really knows what is going to happen.  Nobody can be sure.  Even the performers on the stage.

And here is the thing. at this moment...I don't care.  I might care later...

I don't think I should I go on - I'm just loaded.

Offline Hondo69

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2017, 09:03:55 am »
As an experiment, let's shut down the CIA and see if anyone notices besides the DemoRussiancrats.

And like Obama said two minutes before he made it rain for all his buddies, "We all need to tighten our belts".  To that end, we can trim a few bucks here and there:

- Time is money, therefore no speakers allowed before the microphones on the House floor unless they perform nude

- All black government SUV's will be replaced by puke green Prius cars

- No more free haircuts except for Maxine Waters

- The liquor cabinet in the House chamber will only be stocked with Boonesfarm Country Kwencher

- The cafeteria will now be run by Chik-Fil-A

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2017, 03:34:52 am »
Perhaps it's time for the Senate to "go nuclear" on budget legislation, as well as Supreme Court appointments.

Actually, I believe it's time for the Senate to go nuclear, period.
On everything.

Online corbe

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2017, 03:58:43 am »
Perhaps it's time for the Senate to "go nuclear" on budget legislation, as well as Supreme Court appointments.

Actually, I believe it's time for the Senate to go nuclear, period.
On everything.

I totally agree @Fishrrman you know the Dems are gonna invoke this crap as soon as they have enough votes and they will, again. 
   Burn that bridge, now when you can make use of it's impending destruction.
  The Senate has been fukdup since the 17th Amendment was ratified and it's not a coincidence that Cloture was born a year later for the Treaty of Versailles,   Wilson's Administration screwed the principles of our Government up to it's very roots.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.