Author Topic: Natural Gas Moves to the Naughty List. Coal miners warn: Green groups are coming for you next.  (Read 1357 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Bloomberg by Jennifer A Dlouhy and Mark Chediak  April 20, 2017

Natural Gas Moves to the Naughty List Coal miners warn: Green groups are coming for you next.

Think coal’s got it bad in the fight against climate change? Watch what happens to natural gas.

Power plants around the world are stepping up their use of gas as a fuel because it burns cleaner than coal—and in the U.S., at least, it’s cheaper. Gas now supplies about a third of the country’s power, up from just 17 percent a decade ago.

But U.S. environmentalists have vowed to go after gas-fired power plants with the same vengeance they’ve used to force the retirements of hundreds of coal facilities. Even coal miners are warning their fossil fuel kin to beware. Gas producers “will be next on the list of the industries to be destroyed,” says Robert Murray, chief executive officer of U.S. coal miner Murray Energy Corp.

Coal lost its place as America’s No. 1 power plant fuel last year, dethroned by gas. More than a thousand coal mines have closed since 2009, putting about 36,000 people out of work. Researchers and energy executives alike warn that if gas can’t cut globe-warming emissions, it’s only a matter of time before it shares the same fate.

Natural gas is often promoted as clean because it releases half as much carbon dioxide as coal when combusted. But methane, the most prevalent chemical compound in natural gas, is a potent greenhouse gas in its own right, with heat-trapping emissions leaked at every stage of its life, from well to pipeline to power plant. In the U.S., the gas industry as a whole was responsible for more emissions than coal last year for the first time, according to Bloomberg New Energy Finance (BNEF).

More: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-04-20/natural-gas-moves-to-the-naughty-list

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Some methane escapes to the sir while drilling, in quantities too small to support combustion (otherwise, it would be flared ).
Methane isn't leaked on purpose in production or downstream from the wellhead, partly because it is a valuable enough commodity letting it just blow away isn't a good deal. If it leaks once it leaves the gas processing plant, then it is a problem and potentially a fire hazard, so that is an undesirable outcome to be prevented.

But, don't forget to panic... 888ohnoes
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 04:33:43 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

The Greenies should be celebrating natural gas.  What is more natural than natural gas?

Solar panels, windfarms and biofuels certainly are not natural.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Joe Wooten

Some methane escapes to the sir while drilling, in quantities too small to support combustion (otherwise, it would be flared ).
Methane isn't leaked on purpose in production or downstream from the wellhead, partly because it is a valuable enough commodity letting it just blow away isn't a good deal. If it leaks once it leaves the gas processing plant, then it is a problem and potentially a fire hazard, so that is an undesirable outcome to be prevented.

But, don't forget to panic... 888ohnoes

I like this one better.....

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I like this one better.....

I was trying to avoid an explosion....and burning up the whole planet, y'know. **nononono*
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis