Author Topic: Watch: Netanyahu – Four Million Lives Would’ve Been Saved If Allies Had Bombed Death Camps Immediately  (Read 636 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Watch: Netanyahu – Four Million Lives Would’ve Been Saved If Allies Had Bombed Death Camps Immediately
Breitbart, Apr 24, 2017, Deborah Danan

TEL AVIV – Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Sunday slammed western powers during his speech on Holocaust Remembrance Day, saying that Allied powers knew of the atrocities happening to Jews in death camps and had they have acted on that knowledge they would have saved the lives of four million Jews and millions of others.

The prime minister cited newly released documents from the UN that show the Allied forces were aware of the extent of the Holocaust in 1942 – two and half years earlier than previously assumed.

It was a “chilling revelation,” Netanyahu said.

“If the powers in 1942 had acted against the death camps — and all that was needed was repeated bombing of the camps — had they acted then, they could have saved four million Jews and millions of other people,” he said at the official state Yom HaShoah ceremony at the Yad Vashem Holocaust memorial in Jerusalem.

“When terrible crimes were being committed against the Jews, when our brothers and sisters were being sent to the furnaces,” he said, “the powers knew and did not act.”

According to Netanyahu, the Holocaust was the result of three elements coming together: a deep hatred of the Jews, global apathy to the horrors that occurred, and “the terrible weakness of our people in the Diaspora.”

Anti-Semitism had not disappeared, and neither was it likely to in the foreseeable future, he said. It was made worse by Iran and the Islamic State, he added. This was to be the only mention of the Islamic republic in his speech, a marked departure from previous years in which he would single out Iran several times.

Global indifference was still alive today too, Netanyahu said.

More: http://www.breitbart.com/jerusalem/2017/04/24/netanyahu-in-holocaust-speech-four-million-lives-wouldve-been-saved-if-allies-had-bombed-death-camps-when-they-found-out/

Offline endicom

The claim that we should have bombed the camps is not new and I don't buy it. Why wouldn't the same people have been killed in situ or nearly so?

Offline Right_in_Virginia

The claim that we should have bombed the camps is not new and I don't buy it. Why wouldn't the same people have been killed in situ or nearly so?

I guess I don't understand what Netanyahu gains from making this a centerpiece of his Holocaust Remembrance speech.   :shrug:

Offline mirraflake

I saw a doc on History Channel or one of  those and they gave all the reasons (which I can't remember offhand) why we did not bomb the camps.

Had nothing to  do with hating Jews.

Offline endicom

I saw a doc on History Channel or one of  those and they gave all the reasons (which I can't remember offhand) why we did not bomb the camps.

Had nothing to  do with hating Jews.

Some I can think of:

It would probably be considered a war crime.

We would lose aircraft and aircrew on non-military targets. Those losses were already extraordinarily high.

Aircraft targeting camps would not have been targeting militarily significant sites. That could have prolonged the war which would have increased the number of camp deaths.

I think the people murdered in the camps would instead have been murdered elsewhere.

The post-war screams would have been that we did bomb the camps instead of that we didn't.

I generally favor Netanyahu but not about this.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 08:36:29 pm by endicom »