Author Topic: Hash browns recalled over golf ball pieces  (Read 1477 times)

geronl

Hash browns recalled over golf ball pieces
« on: April 24, 2017, 03:46:47 am »
MATTHEWS, N.C. –  A food company is recalling frozen hash browns from stores in nine states because the potatoes may have pieces of golf balls in them.

McCain Foods USA's recall notice said the golf balls apparently were "inadvertently harvested" along with the potatoes and chopped up. They say the pieces could be a choking hazard, but no injuries have been reported.

The company is recalling 2-pound bags of Harris Teeter Brand Frozen Southern Style Hash Browns in North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, District of Columbia, Delaware, Florida, Georgia and Maryland.

It is also recalling Roundy's Brand Frozen Southern Style Hash Browns from Marianos, Metro Market, and Pick 'n Save stores in Illinois and Wisconsin.

excerpt
http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2017/04/23/hash-browns-recalled-over-golf-ball-pieces.html

This ain't like getting your chocolate in my peanut butter, seriously how does a golf ball get into potatoes?

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Hash browns recalled over golf ball pieces
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 03:58:19 am »
excerpt
http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2017/04/23/hash-browns-recalled-over-golf-ball-pieces.html

This ain't like getting your chocolate in my peanut butter, seriously how does a golf ball get into potatoes?
Disgruntled employee. Industrial terrorist. etc.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

geronl

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 04:02:19 am »
Disgruntled employee. Industrial terrorist. etc.

taking out the maker of generic hash browns is the straw that broke the camels back?

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 04:15:21 am »
taking out the maker of generic hash browns is the straw that broke the camels back?
If you are another generic hash brown maker, trying to move into 'big potatoes'. Or just some guy who got pissed at the foreman one day...
It won't destroy America, but I have noticed how the disruption of a supplier's supply and recall can affect businesses and people far afield.

This one made a mess of things out this way: http://investorplace.com/2017/02/copenhagen-recall-skoal-altria-group-inc-mo/#.WP17ErjW2wk in unrelated industries.
Some suppliers still aren't stocking product, and I have had two generations of coupons go out of date waiting, and will likely see a third go dead before the product reappears on the shelves. Two months later, people are using other products or quitting, and that will affect the company's bottom line.
Golf balls don't just grow in potato patches.  I have to buy the ones my granddaughter likes to pick off with the Sig.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

geronl

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 06:13:51 am »

That whole Interstate Bakeries mess still rankles with me. One of my favorite snacks vanished for good.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 06:19:30 am »
That whole Interstate Bakeries mess still rankles with me. One of my favorite snacks vanished for good.
I'd buy treats for the rig crews as a way of saying 'thanks' for catching cuttings samples for me. I had three boxes of Hostess Twinkies when that went down. The price for the box was over $100.00 on e-Bay. I just took them up to the crews and told them to enjoy them, there wouldn't be any any time soon...

C S Lewis

geronl

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 06:29:00 am »
I'd buy treats for the rig crews as a way of saying 'thanks' for catching cuttings samples for me. I had three boxes of Hostess Twinkies when that went down. The price for the box was over $100.00 on e-Bay. I just took them up to the crews and told them to enjoy them, there wouldn't be any any time soon...

They still don't taste like they did way back in the day

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 06:56:34 am »
They still don't taste like they did way back in the day
Those were the last of the Hostess ones before they shut down.
Nothing does seem to taste quite like it did back when (except the Atomic Fire Balls).

C S Lewis

Wingnut

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 12:21:54 pm »
Ya can't roller skate in a buffalo herd, Ya can't play golf in a potato field. ... But you can be happy if you've a mind to…

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 12:59:16 pm »

Golf balls don't just grow in potato patches.  I have to buy the ones my granddaughter likes to pick off with the Sig.

They may not grown in potato patches but golf courses do grow next to them. Back in my farmhand days we used to find dozens of golf balls in fields around golf courses. I remember breaking up bales of hay to feed cattle and having a golf ball drop out of one.

Wingnut

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2017, 01:20:01 pm »
Gowing up our towns Driving Range was out in the country sandwiched between a couple a farms.  It was not unusual for us as yutes to take aim at subjects  (cows, tractors, manure spreaders) in the adjacent fields when we became bored.  If it was moving the more fun! As is often the case back in those days I  was asked to remove myself from the facilities and never return....several times under my own power...sometimes with an assist by management.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 01:21:12 pm by Wingnut »