Author Topic: US Communist Membership Rising In The Trump Era  (Read 357 times)

Offline mirraflake

US Communist Membership Rising In The Trump Era
« on: April 21, 2017, 07:12:51 pm »
http://www.peoplesworld.org/article/communist-party-membership-numbers-climbing-in-the-trump-era/

People’s World is pleased to share with its readers the following article from the international edition of the Cuban newspaper, Granma. It features an interview with Emile Schepers, a regular People’s World correspondent on U.S. politics, Latin America, and international affairs. Schepers also serves as the International Secretary of the Communist Party USA and was recently interviewed in that capacity by Granma. The original Spanish-language edition of this article can be read here.

The Communist Party USA (CPUSA) has been receiving membership requests ever since Donald Trump was elected President.

U.S. citizens with Marxist ideas were among the first to organize following the October Revolution of 1917, while their party, founded in 1919, is soon set to celebrate its 100th anniversary.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 07:13:59 pm by mirraflake »

Offline mirraflake

Re: US Communist Membership Rising In The Trump Era
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 07:14:51 pm »
Communist have always looked weird.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Re: US Communist Membership Rising In The Trump Era
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 07:34:04 pm »
"The Communist Party USA (CPUSA) has been receiving membership requests ever since Donald Trump was elected President."

I'm not surprised.  I'd also not be surprised if they had been receiving membership requests before Trump.  As the population grows, and as new generations come of age, one would expect new membership requests in pretty much all parties to increase.

Now, if one wants to make an argument for causation, they would at minimum need to show that the rate of change has increased (not that that is anywhere near enough), but they do not.  As a matter of fact, the only number they do present is a CPUSA membership of 5,000, or about 0.00152%, which tells me that even if their growth rate has skyrocketed since Trump, and even if Trump is 100% of the reason, the total effect is about jack.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.