Author Topic: Natural gas has displaced coal in the Northeast’s generation mix over the past 10 years  (Read 4180 times)

Offline thackney

if the state of NY decides to subsidize with tax dollars from NY citizens, I am wondering whether this has an adverse impact on people like here in Texas.

I don't see a direct impact on people in Texas.

If the PJM market increases the price paid for electrical power, there is a more incentive to wheel (import) more power across transmission lines a farther distance to that area.  But I don't see it creating an impact ~700 miles away.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Low Natural Gas prices are good for consumers, suck for producers. If NY wants to spend NY taxes on keeping nuclear plants open and reducing the demand for NG or Coal, it is possible that will depress those markets a little, which means cheaper NG and Coal. For Texas power consumers, that depends on how your power is produced if there might be any benefit. For Texas Natural Gas producers lower prices mean less revenue, less incentive to drill, and perhaps fewer jobs.
That's what I am thinking too, incrementally pretty small.  Since natural gas demand in the Northeast region is more affecting production in the Marcellus which is the local source, it is likely to be minimal impact for down south.

Coal is another thing altogether.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington