Author Topic: Hundreds of Civil War-era cannonballs found at Pennsylvania construction site  (Read 955 times)

rangerrebew

Hundreds of Civil War-era cannonballs found at Pennsylvania construction site

By Michelle Chavez

Published April 28, 2017
Fox News

Crews have unearthed more than 300 cannonballs at a construction site in Pittsburgh, a public safety official told Fox News. The artillery is believed to be from the Civil War era.

“I don’t believe anyone else has found cannonballs at their construction site so you know we’re all obviously relatively new to this experience," FRANJO Construction Project Coordinator Nick Leonello said.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/04/28/hundreds-civil-war-era-cannonballs-found-at-pennsylvania-

geronl

Must have been a Union arsenal or maybe a cannonball factory during the war

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
http://www.wtae.com/article/cannonballs-found-at-old-civil-war-arsenal-in-pittsburgh/9192285

Pittsburgh authorities say a construction crew recently unearthed a cache of cannonballs during a job on 39th Street, not far from the old Allegheny Arsenal site.

Maryland-based Ordnance Holdings has been hired to remove the cannonballs from 39th Street, near the former site of the Allegheny Arsenal. The process is expected to take about five days, unless the crew finds more cannonballs along the way.

The Allegheny Arsenal was a supplier of munitions to the Union Army during the Civil War. An 1862 explosion there killed 78 people, mostly women and girls.

Wingnut

Sergeant.  Fetch me my brown pants!

Offline musiclady

Fascinating!  And kinda cool!

Send them east on US 30 to Gettysburg, and they'll know what to do with them.   ^-^
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 05:59:42 pm by musiclady »
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.