Author Topic: The Number Of ISIS Fighters Killed By The MOAB Is Nothing Short Of Staggering  (Read 2288 times)

rangerrebew

The Number Of ISIS Fighters Killed By The MOAB Is Nothing Short Of Staggering

Saagar Enjeti
Reporter
9:35 AM 04/15/2017

Nearly 100 dead bodies have been pulled from Islamic State caves targeted Thursday by the largest non-nuclear bomb in the U.S. military’s arsenal, Afghan military officials told The Wall Street Journal.

Afghan officials say the death toll is likely to increase as U.S. and Afghan Security Forces continue their damage assessment and clear the formerly held ISIS territory. The U.S. dropped the “mother of all bombs” on ISIS’s headquarters in Afghanistan after repeated efforts to expel the militants failed. No civilian casualties have been reported yet by the U.S. or Afghan military.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2017/04/15/the-number-of-isis-fighters-killed-by-the-moab-is-nothing-short-of-staggering/#ixzz4eR36FiQ3

Wingnut

Rack'em, Stack'em and Pack'em like cord wood. 

Offline Suppressed

Rack'em, Stack'em and Pack'em like cord wood.

That line always reminded me of Butcher Pete...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Fc1wr3dYxU
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Yay for us.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline dfwgator

It's a start.

Offline ConstitutionRose

Good start, yes.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
@Suppressed
That line always reminded me of Butcher Pete...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Fc1wr3dYxU

Soundtrack elevates F3 over its successors.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The Number Of ISIS Fighters Killed By The MOAB Is Nothing Short Of Staggering

Saagar Enjeti
Reporter
9:35 AM 04/15/2017

Nearly 100 dead bodies have been pulled from Islamic State caves targeted Thursday by the largest non-nuclear bomb in the U.S. military’s arsenal, Afghan military officials told The Wall Street Journal.

Afghan officials say the death toll is likely to increase as U.S. and Afghan Security Forces continue their damage assessment and clear the formerly held ISIS territory. The U.S. dropped the “mother of all bombs” on ISIS’s headquarters in Afghanistan after repeated efforts to expel the militants failed. No civilian casualties have been reported yet by the U.S. or Afghan military.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2017/04/15/the-number-of-isis-fighters-killed-by-the-moab-is-nothing-short-of-staggering/#ixzz4eR36FiQ3
You can run from the blast wave, but you can't hide....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docket/archive/pdfs/NIOSH-125/125-ExplosionsandRefugeChambers.pdf

From mine studies, the blast wave causes secondary trauma by throwing people against fixed objects (or objects against people) At given overpressures, expect the following:

Peak                  Maximum 
overpressure     wind speed     Effect on structures       Effect on the human body
1 psi                     38 mph           Window glass shatters    Light injuries from
                                                                                        fragments occur

2 psi                     70 mph          Moderate damage to       People injured by flying   
                                                  houses (windows and      glass and debris
                                                  doors blown out and
                                                 severe damage to roofs)

3 psi                     102 mph        Residential structures       Serious injuries are
                                                  collapse                           common, fatalities may
                                                                                         occur

5 psi                    163 mph        Most buildings collapse      Injuries are universal,
                                                                                        fatalities are widespread

10 psi                  294 mph       Reinforced concrete           Most people are killed
                                                buildings are severely
                                                damaged or demolished

20 psi                  502 mph       Heavily built concrete         Fatalities approach 100%
                                                buildings are severely
                                                damaged or demolished

This would make the MOAB particularly effective against such targets as enemy combatants hiding in tunnels and caves.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

geronl

100 is not staggering, it's not all that much really. I think we've killed more bombing "wedding parties"

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

100 is a very large total for what you'd expect from dropping that much ordnance.  There's been various estimates done over time, but in the modern era, it's generally considered to cost in excess of $100,000 for each enemy soldier killed.  In Afghanistan, I'd expect the number is likely over $1M per, because the cost of anti-insurgent type campaigns is always higher.

https://bible.org/illustration/cost-kill-enemy-soldier

So, knocking off 100+ enemy soldiers with a bomb that cost less than $1M to make is an incredible bargain.  In fact, it's such a good return that we're unlikely to see that good a payoff even if we keep dropping them in other situations.

Wingnut

So, knocking off 100+ enemy soldiers with a bomb that cost less than $1M to make is an incredible bargain. 

Word is, if true, they cost $170K per unit*.

http://www.businessinsider.com/real-cost-of-moab-mother-of-all-bombs-170-000-2017-4

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Word is, if true, they cost $170K per unit*.

http://www.businessinsider.com/real-cost-of-moab-mother-of-all-bombs-170-000-2017-4

Yeah, I was being generous.

Apparently, the employment of that bomb was the equivalent of lighting the anthill on fire rather than just stepping on them one at a time.  Incredibly efficient.

Here's the other thing...you have to wonder if the military wanted to do stuff like this before, and the 20-something Ph.D candidates running stuff out of the NSC under Obama didn't squash it.  Wonder how many of our troops were killed because of our prior reluctance to actually apply the force required.  Very sad to think about, but nice to know that the generals are in charge of actually fighting the wars civilians send them to fight.

Wingnut

Here's the other thing...you have to wonder if the military wanted to do stuff like this before, and the 20-something Ph.D candidates running stuff out of the NSC under Obama didn't squash it.  Wonder how many of our troops were killed because of our prior reluctance to actually apply the force required.  Very sad to think about, but nice to know that the generals are in charge of actually fighting the wars civilians send them to fight.

Obama has blood on his hands both in our military conflicts and here at home. Not only was he a provincial putz but a traitor too.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 02:22:33 pm by Wingnut »

Offline skeeter

Yeah, I was being generous.

Apparently, the employment of that bomb was the equivalent of lighting the anthill on fire rather than just stepping on them one at a time.  Incredibly efficient.

If the media covered the fighting under Obama as they did while W was president people would know US casualties in Afghanistan shot up from between 2008 and 2012.

So the answer to your question appears to be a considerable number of uniformed Americans.

Offline Smokin Joe

100 is a very large total for what you'd expect from dropping that much ordnance.  There's been various estimates done over time, but in the modern era, it's generally considered to cost in excess of $100,000 for each enemy soldier killed.  In Afghanistan, I'd expect the number is likely over $1M per, because the cost of anti-insurgent type campaigns is always higher.

https://bible.org/illustration/cost-kill-enemy-soldier

So, knocking off 100+ enemy soldiers with a bomb that cost less than $1M to make is an incredible bargain.  In fact, it's such a good return that we're unlikely to see that good a payoff even if we keep dropping them in other situations.
When you consider the amount of ordnance dropped on the Pacific Islands during WWII, and the ability of dug-in troops to survive that, the idea of reaching into the depths of the anthill and getting those 'ants', too is a serious plus. Instead of bouncing shrapnel off the entrance, you bounce insurgents down the tunnels with the shockwave and serious compression from the blast. Humans don't handle overpressure well, with 5-10 psi crossing the LD50 curve, and if medical facilities are primitive, injuries finishing off many more.
In terms of weighing expenditure vs effectiveness, this is a move forward. 

C S Lewis

Offline NavyCanDo

When you consider the amount of ordnance dropped on the Pacific Islands during WWII, and the ability of dug-in troops to survive that, the idea of reaching into the depths of the anthill and getting those 'ants', too is a serious plus. Instead of bouncing shrapnel off the entrance, you bounce insurgents down the tunnels with the shockwave and serious compression from the blast. Humans don't handle overpressure well, with 5-10 psi crossing the LD50 curve, and if medical facilities are primitive, injuries finishing off many more.

Made an excellent comparison. A good example is Shuri Castle on Okinawa.  Pounded day and night for 3 days by the battleship Mississippi.  When it was taken by the marines they found a bomb-proof room deep under it with around 500 Japanese troops with barely a scratch on them - but all dead just the same from the concussion of Missy's 14 inch shells

And when I read about what these tunnels outside of Kabul were used for,  - how ISIS would attack friendly troops protecting the city, then would move back into the tunnels where they were untouchable, it does remind one of Okinawa, or Peleliu and Iwo Jima. 
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Unrestrict the ROE, stop worrying about so-called civilian casualties, and the cost per enemy KIA drops.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire

One of the articles said the blast displaces so much air it sucks the air right out of their lungs.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Smokin Joe

One of the articles said the blast displaces so much air it sucks the air right out of their lungs.
Napalm was reputed to do similar things to those in tunnels not immolated in the fire, by consuming available oxygen and heating the available air to deadly temps.

C S Lewis

Offline Suppressed

If the media covered the fighting under Obama as they did while W was president people would know US casualties in Afghanistan shot up from between 2008 and 2012.

So the answer to your question appears to be a considerable number of uniformed Americans.

It bothers me that conservatives donate so much money to campaigns and think tanks, yet nary a dime is spent on getting messages like that out in front of the public.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline kidd

http://www.snappytv.com/tc/4453491

Check out the video. Amazing.
The bomb is dropped into a valley with a lot of spurs.
A few seconds after the bomb has exploded, the video shows that the spurs have all been smoothed out and most of the walls of the valley are collapsing by avalanche.

If the blast wave didn't kill the cave occupants, the collapsed cave entrances will suffocate the rest.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 08:50:21 pm by kidd »

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
100 is not remotely "staggering" for this sort of bomb. I suspect there were more killed by much smaller daisy cutter bombs in vietnam.

In fact everyone seems to have forgotten that we used a similar bomb once in the first gulf war. British troops on the ground saw the mushoom cloud and thought we had used a nuke. I don't know how many were killed by it or even if killing was intended but if they had dropped it on an open desert concentration of troops the casualties could have been in the thousands.