Author Topic: 10 Most Common Cycling Style Faux Pas  (Read 6645 times)

Wingnut

Re: 10 Most Common Cycling Style Faux Pas
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2017, 07:35:12 pm »
My seatbag is exactly why I don't ride a bike.

Thats no way to talk about your wife!   :chairbang:

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2017, 12:34:31 am »
Good lord yes Tom.  Never ever use WD-40 on any part of your bike.  It is a solvent and attracts dirt and grit.

FYI!  https://biskey7.wordpress.com/2011/04/02/bicycling-are-you-a-fred/

WD-40, PB Blaster and such are very useful with older bikes, stuck seatposts, stuck handlebar stems and the like and they chase rust off. So, imho, I don't think they are so bad. If one is riding a state of the art modern bike, perhaps one wants to stay away from WD40. If one has a rusted chain or something, it's cheaper and just as efficient as a lot of other lubricants.

Offline anubias

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2017, 05:45:57 am »
@anubias   Well, there is no forum.  I just put that in my title to be funny.   Sorry

What are you waiting on?  Start one. :P

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2017, 05:59:42 am »
What's cycling and how can I avoid doing it?

Offline anubias

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2017, 06:51:00 am »
@Wingnut , I was in your old stomping grounds over the weekend.  Hubby and I rode the Trinity Trail all day Sunday.  Great day as the weather was cool.

TomSea's post about WD40 gave me a laugh as WD40 and an inept guy at a bike shop nearly got me killed Sunday.  When I had my bike assembled, I saw the guy at Performance Bikes spray the BB with WD40 before he tightened it.  Now, I don't know if he used the proper torque wrench and tightened it as he should have, but I was shocked that he had the WD40 out and spraying it on my bike as I have repeatedly read not to use it.  I have an SRAM Red carbon crank and BB.

I assume you've ridden the Trinity many times and will know where i'm talking about, but there's a bit of a steep downhill not far from leaving the Benbrook Lake Dam area heading towards Ft. Worth.  While flying down that downhill, my bike shuddered, hopped around, and shook enough to nearly make me soil my bibs as I thought I was going down and was done for.  I'm a bit old to take such a tumble.  I assumed I had a flat after I got her shut down as it felt much like a blowout does in a car.  Nope. Tires were fine.

We rode on to the entrance of the park and stopped at the picnic table that is close to the bike trail.  Husband looked at the gears as I have been griping about the front derailleur still not working properly after having Performance Bikes, the same people that assembled my bike, check it twice only to have them bless it as fine, looking at me like I'm nuts and telling me I must not be shifting the levers correctly.  "Shift at the same time and only briefly.  Don't hold them down." which is how I have been shifting them.

Husband looked around at the bike a bit, then shouted "WTF?" along with a few "Holy *bleeps*  The BB and crank were loose and severely crooked throwing off the front derailleur.  He didn't have a proper torque wrench, much less an Allen wrench that was large enough, but he took two Allen wrenches put together to tighten it as much as he could.  That worked until I hit the first good bump.  From there, I limped along fairly slowly until we got to the bike shop along the trail.  They were terrific, cleaned it up, and torqued it properly for me.  They couldn't believe I had the bike professionally assembled.  She was a sweet ride afterwards. 

Since I had the bike built, she never behaved quite right.  Crank slipping, big ring not shifting, odd little hops every once-in-a-while.  It's a miracle I didn't break my fool neck as I have been riding near daily for over a month with a loose BB.  Husband said he would listen to me in future when I complain about pedals slipping, crazy bike hopping, and such.  LOL  That alone was worth the trip to Ft. Worth.   :whistle:

I did take a tumble about 1000 feet from the end of our ride.  A LARGE man, his wife pulling a baby trailer, and four other adults were riding three deep.  I repeatedly announced "on your left", but was ignored.  In my impatience, I regrettably decided to pass them on the right as the trail widened due to a fork.  I thought I could get around them quickly and go on.  What I didn't see was the railroad track as I had my eye on the baby as Momma decided to veer right and cut me off.  Front tire went down into the gap of the track and down I went.  I left the ride a bit bruised and scraped, but they got out of the way of the other riders as "the old lady" going down caused some others that were caught up behind them to yell and threaten them.  I nearly caused a riot at a family park.  :/  If I'd realized we were so close to our vehicle, I would have had more patience and just crawled along behind the rude people.

Even with the two mishaps, we had a wonderful, memorable day.  We plan to return soon before it gets too hot as there isn't much shade on that trail.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 06:58:07 am by anubias »

Offline anubias

« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2017, 06:53:40 am »
What's cycling and how can I avoid doing it?

I was going to say something rude about avoiding your wife during those times, but chose to refrain.   :nometalk:

/Trump-mode off

Wingnut

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2017, 01:17:02 pm »
@anubias

Well damn and damn! 
There are only two PB in Fort Worth. South Lake and the one on So Hulen St.  I'm guessing the WD was used at South Hulen.  The other stores are in the N. Dallas area.  That is sad.  Things have changed in those stores since I left the area.  I can only guess it is due in part to Fuji buying the chains 101 stores and catalog house Bike Nashbar.

Used to ride the Trinity all the time.  I also crashed more often there because of everything you described.  Stroller walking Baby Momma's three wide yackin and weaving...Dog walkers with those 20 foot Trip wire leases.....Joggers with the earbuds that can't hear....Foreigners that walk that think we have right hand drive here in America like they do in Britain, Japan, and Australia  ...... Rug rats on their Walmart Next brand POS bikes that have no brakes.  I could go on!  :)

Our Trinity rides would start at Gateway Park and head into downtown Ft Worth.  We would back it down at Trinity Park till we passed the Rouach coach food truck park and the Wood Shed Restaurant*.  Pick the pace up again till you exit the streets and got pack on the path to Benbrook.  That is the most dangerous part with all the curves and narrow trail.

Glad you survived!  Also The Bikes Inc store in the Mid Cities area would be a better choice for Service and repair.

I'm a Sram Red driver too.  Love it on my Roadie.   

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline anubias

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2017, 01:11:16 am »
@Wingnut I was wrong.  It wasn't PB.  It was Bikes Plus or something like that in Coppell that did the number on my BB.  I get the two stores confused as I am in and out of both of them often.  As soon as I read "Fuji" I knew I had the wrong store.  The store that WD40ed my BB deals in mostly Trek.  They also sold me my "top of the line" Bontrager road shoes that the only thing top of the line about them was the wrong box they came in.   :silly:  I ended up with the bottom of the line shoes in a top of the line box.  Unfortunately, I didn't notice until it was too late to do anything about it.  I love the shoes as they are wide and don't hurt where most bike shoes hurt my feet, but it would have been nice to have paid the bottom of the line price.  ;)  Oh...  And they also tried to sell me a 2016 Giro helmet for $310 that I had already purchased the exact same one on clearance from PB for $150.  I am so done with that place.

Since you like SRAM Red, I will mention that I got eTap shifters and derailleurs.  Thus the reason I was so aggravated that the thing wouldn't shift 99% of the time.  "Surely it should shift somewhat reliably after dropping the coin for eTap!", I thought.  She shifts like a dream now.  I've gone from half-hating my bike to loving her now that someone competent fixed the BB.

Now you're going to choke because I bought a new Fuji... yes, FUJI, 2016 SL 1.1 frame off Craigslist which is what got the whole thing started in the first place.   22222frying pan  I'm guessing the frame sucks.  :P  It was dirt cheap and just too good of a deal to pass up; so I snagged her.  Bike weighs less than 10 pounds with all the super-light carbon stuff I put on her.  She climbs better than any bike I've ever owned and is a blast to ride.  ahem.  Now.  I love it because my husband can't keep up with me when he used to complain that he couldn't get a good enough workout riding with me back in the day.  I'm evil that way.  Seeing HIS face beet red, gasping for breath, and complaining that his legs hurt instead of mine is a welcome change.   :smokin:

Trinity Park was indeed where I fell.  We parked there as we had an early breakfast at some dive close by.  We won't make that mistake again.  Parking at Trinity, I mean.  Well, now that I think on it, we won't be eating at the dive either as the food was horrible.  LOL  It was so bad that we've laughed about it several times since.  It was a newly opened Mexican dive that I don't expect to see open long.  Sounds crazy, but it was so bad that it was funny instead of disappointing.  Started the day off with a bang.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 03:39:58 pm by anubias »

Wingnut

« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2017, 08:29:05 pm »
@anubias

On Fuji...I don't hate em.  I have ridden a lot of their bikes.  The Grand Fondo, Altamira, Transonic, Robiaux I just never could get comfortable on them without doing on major modifications.  I ride Cannondales and like the Synapse for long rides and also The tried and true Aluminum CAAD 10.   The one Fuji I was going to buy was a cross bike called the Tread.  But I decided to go with a flat bar bike for gravel grinding and Rail-to-trails riding..  I have seen the SL but never road it.  The 1.1 has a MSRP of around 10 grand.  Piss on that.  Hope you got a good deal on the frame and fork! But like the other Fuji road bikes it is probably more aggressive than I like.  Looks like the Altamira to me.

I would like to get a new road bike.  A Red 22 or maybe even Force 22 since the difference is minimal. Not ready for etap or e shifting yet.  When my hands get so arthritic I cant operate the shifters.... I will do it...but not now.  I thought about buying a compo group set and swapping it over, but changed my mind.   
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 08:30:06 pm by Wingnut »

Offline anubias

« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2017, 10:49:27 pm »
 I got a crazy deal on the frame, fork, BB, and crank.  Only problem is that it doesn't have brassieres or whatever they're called for disk brakes.  With my carbon wheels and regular SRAM red brakes, she doesn't stop quickly enough in emergencies.  I will probably get a 2017 frame next year and swap them out plus get disk brakes. 

When I purchased it, I didn't realize how poorly regular brakes would work with carbon.  Guy that practically gave it all away decided he wanted disk brakes and less aggressive riding, bought a different frame and never put this one together.  I like the way she handles, but I'm not sure I will ever be able to do a century on her as I am tired and sore at 40 miles now.  It took me a week to get over the all day ride on the Trinity Trail. 

I ordered almost all of my parts online from Europe.  Most were at least half the cost they are here.  Several of my orders were over $800, but customs did not charge me.  I thought $800 was the limit before customs charges applied, but either I was wrong or customs looks the other way.  I would never have paid for etap at US prices. 

Check out European Web sites for pricing.  Especially Ribbles.uk for components and group sets(Not Ribbles.com as they charge American prices.)  They run sales on their already cheaper prices often.  I also grabbed sale stuff such as wheels and tires from chain reaction cycles.uk  at the beginning of the clearance season.  Other odds and ends I picked up at starbikes.com in Germany, but they're not as cheap as the Brits.  I did get my Titanium Speedplays from them for less than half Speedlplay.com prices.

Good luck finding exactly what you want!