Author Topic: Is Chelsea “Sufficiently Christian?” What About Trump?  (Read 724 times)

Offline corbe

Is Chelsea “Sufficiently Christian?” What About Trump?
« on: April 17, 2017, 04:02:26 pm »
Is Chelsea “Sufficiently Christian?” What About Trump?

By Peter Heck  |  April 17, 2017, 10:30am  |  @peterheck

To be honest, this gets kind of old.

Just after noon yesterday, Chelsea Clinton was being hammered on Twitter for posting a picture of her children’s Easter basket and not mentioning Jesus in the caption. The online religion police quickly pounced, asking her why she hadn’t given the Savior of mankind any love on His resurrection day.

To be fair, her original post did include a reference to having been at church. But apparently that wasn’t good enough. Chelsea had to go back and make a second post expressing how she thinks of Jesus every day.

It was sad someone criticized her for not mentioning Jesus in the first place. It was sadder that Chelsea was shamed to then do so. And it is saddest of all that we think this kind of “Did you meet your public-statements-about-Jesus quota” is a good system for any of us.

Frank Camp did an excellent job of pointing out over at the Daily Wire that Chelsea Clinton, like far too many prominent political figures of our day, worships the god of their own mind. They drink freely from the fount of Scripture when it comports and accommodates their political aims and policy objectives, but quickly isolate it when it infringes into uncomfortable or inconvenient areas – as the Word tends to do to each of us.

Simply put, when someone is leading a life that is not surrendered to Christ, or driven by His purposes, why would we expect them to mention Jesus regularly in conversation? And if I might be so bold, why would we want them to?

Of course we all should want our political leaders to submit themselves to the Natural Lawgiver and the Providence that presides over the destinies of all men and all nations. But the last thing we should want are political leaders who do not submit to God pretending like they do. Such pretense can be a real stumbling block to other believers and our discernment.

And Chelsea isn’t alone. Early Easter morning, pollster Matt McDermott tweeted out, “The Obama’s spent every Easter attending church services. Trump hasn’t attended church once since his inauguration. Where’s the GOP outrage?”

There was only one significant problem with this hot take. Trump was in church at that very moment.

And this is what I was just getting at – the fact that McDermott made a fool of himself with his unspoken demand that Trump start acting more Christian is a large part of the problem. I’m not interested in politicians who attend a church service for photo-ops or to keep their base happy.

I’m not impressed or reassured when I see Chelsea Clinton make a comment about Christ on Twitter, or see Donald Trump walking into a church on Easter. Jesus makes it clear that, “By their fruits you will know them.”

I know what I need to know about Chelsea’s commitment to Christ by her public support of child sacrifice.

I will know what I need to know about Trump’s commitment to Christ by the content of his character and the direction he leads the nation.

<..snip..>

http://theresurgent.com/is-chelsea-sufficiently-christian-what-about-trump/

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline corbe

Re: Is Chelsea “Sufficiently Christian?” What About Trump?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 04:03:26 pm »
   Personally, I think he made his point in the first 8 words, but he continued.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 04:06:24 pm »
Less is more. Both in writing and in reverence for the Lord.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 04:14:39 pm »
So called conservatives have utterly ceded the high ground with Trump.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 04:34:39 pm »
So-called conservatives layed a big goose egg in the pro-life cause, not so for true conservatives like Trump Pence, they actually get things done.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 04:49:09 pm »
not so for true conservatives like Trump Pence, they actually get things done.
  :nometalk:
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline TomSea

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 05:00:17 pm »
Trump supporting Conservative, Tom Cotton.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 05:02:04 pm »
  :nometalk:
Still calling the Republican party dead?

Anyone still llooking for the Libertarian Party to carry Utah or New Mexico?

:thud:

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 11:22:06 pm »
@TomSea

[attachment deleted by admin]
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2017, 11:39:54 pm »
Still calling the Republican party dead?

Anyone still llooking for the Libertarian Party to carry Utah or New Mexico?

:thud:
I said that was a longshot, and you know it. Now quit fighting a fight that was settled four months ago and focus on the fact that your champion has done next to NOTHING for the cause you find so dear.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2017, 11:49:50 pm »
Anyway, back to the topic at hand:

It's not so much being "sufficiently Christian" as it is being honest about their religion. Much of America is, quite frankly, secular humanist now, but politicians too often like to pretend they're Christians to win certain demographic votes.

I'd rather have an admitted agnostic than a person who pretends to convert to the faith on the Road to Des Moines.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 11:51:23 pm by jmyrlefuller »