Author Topic: NASA ‘sting’ operation against 74-year-old widow of Apollo engineer draws court rebuke  (Read 1158 times)

Online SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Agents of the U.S. government are entitled to immunity from lawsuits for what they do in the line of duty, as long as they do it right, in accord with the Constitution.

But what one NASA investigator did to Joann Davis, a financially distressed widow of an engineer on the Apollo program who was trying to raise a little money, was too much for a federal court of appeals to stomach. And on Thursday, the judges let her suit against him go forward.

Here’s what happened, as described in an opinion issued by a panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit in Pasadena.

Robert Davis was, by all accounts, a brilliant engineer, employed by North American Rockwell as manager of NASA’s Apollo 11 program.

When he left, he took with him two mementos: One “contained a rice-grain-sized fragment of lunar material, or ‘moonrock;’ the other contained a small piece of the Apollo 11 heat shield.”

[excerpted]

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/04/14/humiliating-sting-operation-against-elderly-widow-of-apollo-engineer-draws-court-rebuke/?utm_term=.edfe6b4db440
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Joe Wooten

I hope they nail the bastard to the wall and take him for everything he's got. Make it a warning shot across the bow of ALL federal bureaucrats.

Oceander

I read this article at work earlier and I couldn't believe it.  This guy went so far off-rez he'd need a warp drive to get back home. 

Offline Joe Wooten

I read this article at work earlier and I couldn't believe it.  This guy went so far off-rez he'd need a warp drive to get back home.

Unfortunately, the previous administration actually encouraged this kind of behavior from all agencies. It had been slowly getting worse for the last 50 years, but it exploded after 2010.

Oceander

Unfortunately, the previous administration actually encouraged this kind of behavior from all agencies. It had been slowly getting worse for the last 50 years, but it exploded after 2010.

It happens at these "civilian" agencies when you get some gumshoe wannabe who failed out of the police academy.  They stew in frustration because "nothing ever happens" and then when something does, they treat molehills like mountains.