Author Topic: Reinvigorating Civil Rights in the Era of Trump  (Read 603 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Reinvigorating Civil Rights in the Era of Trump
« on: April 14, 2017, 02:53:48 am »
American Constitution Society for Law and Policy 4/12/2017

*This piece is part of the ACSblog symposium: “The Future of the U.S. Constitution” by Chiraag Bains, Visiting Senior Fellow, Harvard Law School, Criminal Justice Policy Program.

Constitutional law is driven in part by public and judicial attitudes about the security of our core American values: liberty, equality, democracy and human dignity. Narratives about the extent to which government threatens, or does not threaten, these values can shape how easy or difficult the courts make it to enforce constitutional rights and how narrowly or expansively courts read those rights. This suggests that the Trump Administration — which has singled out certain minority groups and backed away from civil rights enforcement — might push courts to rethink current doctrine and make constitutional protections more robust.

With respect to civil rights, two of the most consequential narratives in recent years have been (1) that claims of racial discrimination are overblown and we are approaching a post-racial reality; and (2) that misconduct by law enforcement is limited to the acts of a few bad apples.

The post-racial narrative is familiar by now. Slavery ended 150 years ago. You will not find a “whites only” waiting room or drinking fountain in America. Minorities run Fortune 500 companies, appear in mainstream media, and serve in Congress. And of course, we elected — and reelected — our first black president.

This narrative has played a role in the Supreme Court’s contraction of protections against racial discrimination.

More: https://www.acslaw.org/acsblog/reinvigorating-civil-rights-in-the-era-of-trump

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Reinvigorating Civil Rights in the Era of Trump
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 03:46:40 am »
This narrative has played a role in the Supreme Court’s contraction of protections against racial discrimination.

I think I see the problem right there: "protections against racial discrimination" would depend on what race you are. By anyone being any more protected than anyone else, racial discrimination is created, whether or not it is acknowledged.

If there is to be "equality", all should be treated equally. Reverse discrimination does not accomplish that.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 04:15:06 am »

Well since Donny promised to get race relations on the right track and everyone in the hood will have a job, I'm guessing tomorrow he will be reintroducing the legalization of slavery.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 07:24:25 am »

Well since Donny promised to get race relations on the right track and everyone in the hood will have a job, I'm guessing tomorrow he will be reintroducing the legalization of slavery.
People knock it, but there was full employment to go with the room and board...(/sarcasm, sorta)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis