Author Topic: Fear Not, Superfans: Netflix’s Mystery Science Theater 3000 Reboot Nails It  (Read 1578 times)

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
https://www.wired.com/2017/04/netflix-mst3k-review/

MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER 3000 never really went away. Joel Hodgson’s hyper-verbal, stupid-smart series—in which a group of space-marooned wiseacres riffed on atrocious movies—may have gone off the air in 1999, but by then, its wry, pop-culturally astute commentary style was already becoming the default language of the internet. Every sarcastic comments-section pile-on, every meme-filled live-Tweet spree, every non-racist YouTube discussion (those exist, right?) owes a small debt to MST3K, which proved that, so long as you had sharp one-liners and good intentions, talking back to the screen could be a joyous, justifiable pursuit.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
Let it burn.

Offline Frank Cannon

Netflix’s Mystery Science Theater 3000 Reboot Nails It

I call bullshit. First of all the cast of losers Joel cobbled together for this looks terrible. Secondly all the wit and references were written by the three other guys other than Joel......the Rifftrax guys. That's why the Mike years were better.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical

I call bullshit. First of all the cast of losers Joel cobbled together for this looks terrible. Secondly all the wit and references were written by the three other guys other than Joel......the Rifftrax guys. That's why the Mike years were better.

Mike was definitely my favorite.

Offline Frank Cannon

Mike was definitely my favorite.

I don't understand the laziness of rebooting this. Nelson, Bill Corbett and Kevin Murphy have been doing this with a different format that works great. Rifftrax is on Amazon. There are also so many seasons of MST3K to last a lifetime. Why couldn't Joel figure out a new concept and do it? I feel like all creativity ceased to exist 20 years ago and everything since is a shitty facsimile.

Offline andy58-in-nh

I am looking forward to the "reboot", although admittedly not without a gnawing sense of trepidation... not unlike the small town plagued by a serial killer in Teen-age Strangler.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

geronl

do you think they pocketed some of that $5.7 million that was donated?

Offline Ghost Bear

do you think they pocketed some of that $5.7 million that was donated?

I watched the first episode last night, from the look of it they spent all the money on the show.

The jokes were pretty good, I found some of them to be laugh-out-loud funny. But... it may be just that it's the first episode, but I found myself wishing at some points (especially from midway through the film to the end) that they crew would shut up and let the movie be bad on its own. Just too "busy" with comments, for my taste anyway. YMMV.   :shrug:

I'll watch the next episode and see if that smooths out at all.
Let it burn.

geronl

I watched the first episode last night, from the look of it they spent all the money on the show.

The donors got what they asked for, so they can't really complain if someone kept a bit.

Offline Frank Cannon

I watched the reboot last night. It could be worse.

BTW, people really needs to stop hiring Patton Oswald. He is just terrible.

Offline Ghost Bear

The donors got what they asked for, so they can't really complain if someone kept a bit.

Yup, and it looks like all the donors got listed in the credits too.

The Kickstarter effort got mentioned during the movie also... there was a scene with action in the foreground, and some guy standing on a roof in the background. One of the bots asked, "Who's that guy on the roof?" And Jonah answered, "Must be one of the Kickstarter donors!"

Haw!  :laugh:
Let it burn.