Author Topic: TEA investigating over 150 improper student-teacher relationships in Texas this school year  (Read 998 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
If it feels like there have been more 'naughty teacher' stories lately, you are right. So far, in Texas alone, 150 cases are being investigated.

I do, however, know of one case where the students framed a teacher* they didn't like by getting access to her phone several times and sending messages themselves. Yes, she was stupid to leave it in/at her desk but I wouldn't be surprised if more and more, students are using technology to set up some of these teachers.  (*the teacher was legally vindicated but lost her job and probably can't teach again).

As lawmakers consider a myriad of bills to curb the epidemic of inappropriate student-teacher relationships, the Texas Education Agency has opened over 150 investigations into the issue this school year, according to data obtained by mySA.com.

The agency has opened 159 cases so far in the 2016-17 school year, which began in August, said TEA spokeswoman DeEtta Culbertson in an email.....

http://www.chron.com/news/local/texas/article/TEA-investigating-150-improper-relationships-11068726.php?ipid=brkbar#photo-12711363

Offline Applewood

I just find it odd that there are so many teachers being accused of such misconduct nowadays  Never heard of such a thing in the 50s and 60s when I was in school.  Of course, if there was, the citizens would have taken care of the teacher in their own way, and the police would have looked the other way.

In Western PA, there was one school district with three teachers accused of inappropriate behavior with students.  A fourth was accused of having pointed out one of the alleged victims in class.  I had to wonder, didn't the administrators screen these teachers or maybe do background checks?  Of course, screenings and background checks aren't foolproof.   I heard of a teacher who was caught in a motel room with a 14-year-old girl.  A background check had been performed, but it revealed nothing because the teacher had assumed the identity of a deceased teacher, whose record was unblemished.  The guy caught with the girl in a motel room had been a teacher in several districts, but was fired from all of them for similar misconduct. 

This is a phenomenon that should be explored.  These aren't isolated incidents anymore.

Offline ABX

I just find it odd that there are so many teachers being accused of such misconduct nowadays  Never heard of such a thing in the 50s and 60s when I was in school.  Of course, if there was, the citizens would have taken care of the teacher in their own way, and the police would have looked the other way.

In Western PA, there was one school district with three teachers accused of inappropriate behavior with students.  A fourth was accused of having pointed out one of the alleged victims in class.  I had to wonder, didn't the administrators screen these teachers or maybe do background checks?  Of course, screenings and background checks aren't foolproof.   I heard of a teacher who was caught in a motel room with a 14-year-old girl.  A background check had been performed, but it revealed nothing because the teacher had assumed the identity of a deceased teacher, whose record was unblemished.  The guy caught with the girl in a motel room had been a teacher in several districts, but was fired from all of them for similar misconduct. 

This is a phenomenon that should be explored.  These aren't isolated incidents anymore.

I blame a lot on social media. It becomes easier to communicate with and establish relationships with students, something that used to be verboten.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
I blame a lot on social media. It becomes easier to communicate with and establish relationships with students, something that used to be verboten.

My neighbors is a teacher for 7-8th graders.    She's young but she dresses and acts like an 8th grader.

IMO it has something to do with the leftist attitude that children are just little people and not children.   
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

geronl

Life in prison would set a good example for others

geronl

You mean back when adults were still pressured by society to behave as adults?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Yes, you hit the nail on the head.

Offline ABX

The stories I could tell from when my wife was teaching at the school that burned her out after a few years. The teachers and administrators there acted like they were in middle school. And beyond the clicks and sniping behind each other's backs. The whole place was hooking up with each other. Many of the teachers had 'work spouses'. There was one event where one of the teachers, a bit tipsy, put on some hip hop with language not fit for an event like that and they were all grinding over each other. Mind you, this was a weekday afternoon during a school spirit event.

Needless to say, the school was failing based on all standards.

Offline mirraflake

I know of 3 confirmed when I was in HS back in the 70's and heard rumors of others and I went to a small HS.

One male volley ball and softball coach(he was maybe 22-23 at the time) dated my  classmate and we all knew about it. Late in our Senior year right towards graduation you would see him driving his car up through town with her sitting next to him. No one said anything. The're still married.

A classmate in my social circle worked a summer job at a state park and one of our female teachers had summer job there and they were getting it on. My other friend would drop him off at her apartment then pick him back up later that night and take him home.

It was more common back than what you would have thought though happening more today.

Not the same my first job at age 16 I was messing around with the late 20's woman who took care of the banquet halls at the hotel where I worked. We started work at 5;00 at night tearing down banquet rooms from conventions and setting up for the next  day and worked to late ta night. We would go out to her car or the room that  held the sheets /spare cots and go at it.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 11:09:57 pm by mirraflake »