Author Topic: GOP lawmakers in North Carolina introduce bill to restore ban on same-sex marriage  (Read 48106 times)

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
And, by the way, you can forget Asimov's First Law of Robotics.  It's the first law to be broken.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
And, by the way, you can forget Asimov's First Law of Robotics.  It's the first law to be broken.
Check the zoning in your neighborhood. If if says "Twilight", Azimov's first law of robotics does not apply.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

You don't grasp the bigger picture here.   Western society is built on Christianity.  Undermine the foundation of Christianity,  and you undermine Western civilization.

Sorry, DL,  but my neighbors aren't undermining Western civilization.   Heck, when I'm gone for the weekend they pick up my paper so would-be burglars won't know I'm gone.     

It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Now it's a hate crime for a girl to refuse to shower with a boy.

What the hell are you talking about?   Hysteria like this is why social conservatives look like clowns to the rest of us.   

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

Quote from: Mesaclone
The problem  is that government should have no role in the marriage business...it should neither recognize, nor offer benefit or detraction, to anyone based on marital status.

It's a GD three ring circus all because the govt' started sticking their nose in this matter. Now look what we got. A bucket of shit.

I have no problem with the government providing sanction, support and benefits for couples who commit to marriage.    There's no greater force for traditional values than the institution of marriage.   It is a truly unique and valuable contract - a lifetime commitment of mutual support and caring.    An individual provides for his/her partner, in health and in sickness, in prosperity and in poverty - so the government doesn't have to.    Marriage is the most serious, consequential commitment two human beings can make to each other.   Should the government support and encourage that commitment?

YES!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 12:17:31 pm by Jazzhead »

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
I have no problem with the government providing sanction, support and benefits for couples who commit to marriage.    There's no greater way foster traditional values than the encouragement of marriage.   It is a lifetime commitment of mutual support and caring.    An individual provides for his/her partner, in sickness and his health, in prosperity and in poverty - so the government doesn't have to.    Marriage is the most serious, consequential commitment two human beings can make to each other.   Should the government support and encourage that commitment?

YES!

lying liberal garbage on display.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
lying liberal garbage on display.

You, too, have a nice day. 

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Not to point fingers; but again, we seem to see Christianity slighted by one poster, the same one who has called Muslims our friends and neighbors. Yet, one doesn't see standing up for gays when there are news reports such as the latest, of Muslims being persecuted in Chechnya or the general treatment of gays in Islamic countries and under Shariah Law. 

There may have even been another recent story.

Offline mirraflake

Don't really care about animal/human marriages. Most places have bestiality laws (except for possibly Cali) so those jackasses can be thrown in jail in short order. If you want to get panicked about something be worried about robot marriage. That is sitting right in front of us and IS something that will be a massive headache for a whole host of legal, religious and procreative reasons.

Just look at what the hell Real Doll has developed.....

Those are not real people. Add to that the insane leaps the Japanese are making in robotics and humans are not going to marry humans in the near future.

An article on The Daily mail about this earlier this year Japanese are already working on accurate smelling robots, hair that grows..yes hair that grows, correct body temperature (sorta like your heated car seats I presume)and um lubrication.. I can't imagine what another 10-15 years they will be like.

Real Human females are going to be hit hard except maybe the most beautiful

@Frank Cannon
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 02:55:32 pm by mirraflake »

Offline mirraflake

Not to point fingers; but again, we seem to see Christianity slighted by one poster, the same one who has called Muslims our friends and neighbors. Yet, one doesn't see standing up for gays when there are news reports such as the latest, of Muslims being persecuted in Chechnya or the general treatment of gays in Islamic countries and under Shariah Law. 

There may have even been another recent story.

I have some gay friends who think we need to bring in more Muslims. I just SMH

@TomSea

Offline Frank Cannon

I have no problem with the government providing sanction, support and benefits for couples who commit to marriage.    There's no greater force for traditional values than the institution of marriage.   It is a truly unique and valuable contract - a lifetime commitment of mutual support and caring.    An individual provides for his/her partner, in health and in sickness, in prosperity and in poverty - so the government doesn't have to.    Marriage is the most serious, consequential commitment two human beings can make to each other.   Should the government support and encourage that commitment?

YES!

Really? Since the govt' has gotten involved with marriages the family has never been weaker. Your sophistry has been proven 100% bullshit because we have tangible results to prove it.

Offline mirraflake

Really? Since the govt' has gotten involved with marriages the family has never been weaker. Your sophistry has been proven 100% bullshit because we have tangible results to prove it.

Divorce rate is the lowest it's been since the 60's and marriage rates are coming back.

Gays did not destroy marriage straight people have done it all on their own.

I have no problem with gov't promoting marriage via tax cuts or credits and allowing people to pass on their estate to their spouse  straight or gay with no taxes.

Gov't promotes business  growth via free land or low taxes

@Frank Cannon

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Really? Since the govt' has gotten involved with marriages the family has never been weaker.

WTF?   How has the family been weakened by, for example,  federal laws that exempt from estate tax amounts left to one's spouse, or federal laws that allow an employer to provide health insurance to an employee's spouse without the value of that insurance being taxed?

What's wrong with the government supporting families by favoring couples that marry and stay married?   

Offline Idiot

Don't really care about animal/human marriages. Most places have bestiality laws (except for possibly Cali) so those jackasses can be thrown in jail in short order. If you want to get panicked about something be worried about robot marriage. That is sitting right in front of us and IS something that will be a massive headache for a whole host of legal, religious and procreative reasons.

Just look at what the hell Real Doll has developed.....

Those are not real people. Add to that the insane leaps the Japanese are making in robotics and humans are not going to marry humans in the near future.
I think I've met the one on the left.  She wasn't much on conversation.... :smokin:

Offline Hoodat

I have no problem with the government providing sanction, support and benefits for couples who commit to marriage.

@Jazzhead

You have no problem with crumbling up the Constitution into a big ball and tossing it into the garbage can.

There is zero Consititutional basis for the Obergefell ruling, and you know it.   Yet you embrace tyranny at the expense of our Constitution.  So stop hiding behind some moral argument.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
@Jazzhead

There is zero Consititutional basis for the Obergefell ruling, and you know it.   Yet you embrace tyranny at the expense of our Constitution.  So stop hiding behind some moral argument.

Of course there is - the Equal Protection clause.   How is it "tyranny" for my neighbors to have the same right to marry as you?   How are you harmed?   

Like I said,  let God punish such marriages if He wants.  He doesn't need His legions of Godboys making Christ and Christians look petty, sanctimonious and spiteful.

Mind your own damn business.     

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Of course there is - the Equal Protection clause.   How is it "tyranny" for my neighbors to have the same right to marry as you?   
Nonsense. My neighbors, in fact everyone had the same right to marry. One man and one woman.
How are you harmed?   

Like I said,  let God punish such marriages if He wants.  He doesn't need His legions of Godboys making Christ and Christians look petty, sanctimonious and spiteful.
I thought He had made Himself clear on the topic with Sodom and Gomorrah. Just one more reason to prefer the neighbors (whoever they are) live a good distance away.
Quit parading that perversion on my television, in the schools, demanding businesses cater to it, and calling it 'normal', and I will. Until then the intrusion of that "lifestyle" into my daily world makes it my business. If people just quietly did what they did and didn't demand everyone else approve, maybe it would not be.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Personally, I think people are moving in a conservative direction in politics and in relationships.

A lot of people got bad advice from Hollywood and pop psychology.

We were told that we were weak if we didn't consider ourselves number one, and, by golly, we didn't have to take that.

It is not being weak to consider the needs and desires of your mate and to stay faithful in your marriage. It is infinitely rewarding. 
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Nonsense. My neighbors, in fact everyone had the same right to marry. One man and one woman. I thought He had made Himself clear on the topic with Sodom and Gomorrah. Just one more reason to prefer the neighbors (whoever they are) live a good distance away.Quit parading that perversion on my television, in the schools, demanding businesses cater to it, and calling it 'normal', and I will. Until then the intrusion of that "lifestyle" into my daily world makes it my business. If people just quietly did what they did and didn't demand everyone else approve, maybe it would not be.

SJ,  no one is demanding that you approve your neighbors' lifestyle.   I don't approve of sexual promiscuity,  whether practiced by gays or straights.  But that's exactly why I support marriage equality - gays who seek to marry aren't the bathhouse denizens,  they're folks just like you and me.   I support an official imprimatur of respect and recognition for the lifetime commitment of faithfulness they have made. 

I'll wait for you.  And if I should fall behind, wait for me

Those are Bruce Springsteen's lyrics, but they portray perfectly the struggle we all have to not only find the one we will marry, but to stay married.   The decades fall fast, but a little slower if you're with the one you love.   

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Personally, I think people are moving in a conservative direction in politics and in relationships.

We were told that we were weak if we didn't consider ourselves number one, and, by golly, we didn't have to take that.

It is not being weak to consider the needs and desires of your mate and to stay faithful in your marriage. It is infinitely rewarding.

I agree, Emjay. 

Offline mirraflake

Yes, major backlash against the left and culture like HBO's "Girls". The pendulum always swings back. We'll see what the millenials do. They could make or break it. Most I run across want smaller, less intrusive gov't but not sure on their morals some i see very conservative and some very liberal and as  pointed out marriage rates are actually up.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 05:06:04 pm by mirraflake »

Offline Hoodat

Of course there is - the Equal Protection clause.

Equal protection was already being applied.  The same rights to marry existed equally for everyone regardless of preference.  But then you knew that already.

How is it "tyranny" for my neighbors to have the same right to marry as you?

They already have the same right to marry as do I.  But then you knew that already.

But we're not talking about God here.  We're talking about the Constitution of the United States of America.  Can you for one moment stop hiding behind moral arguments and stick to what the legal basis?

The Constitution is my business.  And the tyranny you proudly embrace is clearly an enemy of it.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Folks just cannot mind their own damn business.  No gay marriage ever affected a straight couple's marriage in the slightest.

Minding ones own business would have involved the Federal government never sticking their nose into this in the first place.

Instead 9 black robes found rights where there were none and gave special protection and status to gays that straight people do not have.

Once again we see an instance where you have no problem with judges creating law from whole cloth as long as it supports your own special interest.   

Let God punish such marriages, not His legions of Godboys.

God also says that marriage is between a woman and a man....and says homosexuality is a sin.

Maybe if you actually took time to read the Bible instead of continually haranguing and harassing those that have and do...you wouldn't sound like such a pompous @ss all the time.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Jazzhands is still trying to use the Civil War Amendments pertaining to freed slaves to make his case?

:silly:

His knowledge of the Constitution could fill half a thimble.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Jazzhands is still trying to use the Civil War Amendments pertaining to freed slaves to make his case?

:silly:

His knowledge of the Constitution could fill half a thimble.

My knowledge of the Constitution and the reach of the Equal Protection clause is shared by a majority of the Supreme Court.   The Equal Protection clause is not limited to the freed slaves, as has been found by court ruling after court ruling over the past century.  This is settled law. 

Again -  the right of my neighbors to marry doesn't affect your marriage in the slightest.   Mind your own damn business - it is not your function to enforce your view of "God's law" here on earth.   You're not on Sin Patrol - and if you are, then you're no better than an Islamist demanding Sharia law.     
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 06:57:20 pm by Jazzhead »