Author Topic: United passenger threatened with handcuffs to make room for 'higher-priority' traveler  (Read 2376 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
United really should stop getting customer service advice from Comcast.

It’s hard to find examples of worse decision-making and customer treatment than United Airlines having a passenger dragged from an overbooked plane. But United’s shabby treatment of Geoff Fearns, including a threat to place him in handcuffs, comes close.....

...“That’s when they told me they needed the seat for somebody more important who came at the last minute,” Fearns said. “They said they have a priority list and this other person was higher on the list than me.”....

http://www.latimes.com/business/lazarus/la-fi-lazarus-united-low-priority-passenger-20170412-story.html

Offline LonestarDream

United really should stop getting customer service advice from Comcast.

The FAA / Congress could:

1) Break United into three pieces
2) Suspend overbooking privileges for two years.
3) Make United Pay 100K per deplaned paying customer
4) Make United Print PROVISIONAL TICKET in 18 pt type on ALL tickets
5) Make United Pay 25K per confirmed customer denied boarding.
6) Not issue any more gates to United
7) Take away two gates per month from UNITED.

Not allowing LE on the planes in case of terrorism or TRULY disruptive passengers is crazy.

(?) Trump Realist    (*) Trump believer   (?) Never Trump,   Which are you ?

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
The only government solution I can think of right now is that they start billing United out of the ass every time they are called to deal with a customer service issue.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 04:33:26 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline LonestarDream

The only government solution I can think of right now is that they start billing United out of the ass every time they are called to deal with a customer service issue.

Similar to #3 and #5 above.  Because of United's arrogance coupled with its massive market power, no regulation is too arbitrary, obnoxious or capricious for United to follow.

If it drives up their pricing, TOO BAD .

@don-o
@DiogenesLamp
@driftdiver

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire

A good first step would be to remove the airlines pseudo law enforcement status.   
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline driftdiver

Similar to #3 and #5 above.  Because of United's arrogance coupled with its massive market power, no regulation is too arbitrary, obnoxious or capricious for United to follow.

If it drives up their pricing, TOO BAD .

@don-o
@DiogenesLamp
@driftdiver

With the incestuous relationship between big companies and the govt regulators there is no regulation which the airlines doesn't agree with.   

Offline LonestarDream

With the incestuous relationship between big companies and the govt regulators there is no regulation which the airlines doesn't agree with.

Read somewhere United is at least the number two offender in PROVISIONAL TICKETING .

Instead of allowing United to the have authority to abuse customers in the 'fine print', make them print out the warning in BLOCK LETTERS on the ticket.

Buy a ticket from United, have no expectation of being treated like an actual human.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 04:58:25 pm by LonestarDream »

Offline driftdiver

Read somewhere United is at least the number two offender in PROVISIONAL TICKETING .

Instead of allowing United to the have authority to abuse customers in the 'fine print', make them print out the warning in BLOCK LETTERS on the ticket.

Buy a ticket from United, have no expectation of being treated like an actual human.

@LonestarDream
Most people don't realize what they are agreeing to when they buy a ticket.   By the time you're in the airport you are exhausted and compliant.  Afraid to raise a fuss because you don't want to go to jail.   This is what a police state is.

I saw a guy use his phone to video what the agent was telling him.   Her immediate response was to call security and tell them he threatened her.   I was standing behind the guy.     She was treating him like crap from the getgo.

I've had flight attendants threaten me with arrest because I smiled and said "I think so" when she asked if I was willing to do the exit row duties.   That was right after she laughed at the girl next to me that said the same thing.   

Offline LonestarDream

@LonestarDream
Most people don't realize what they are agreeing to when they buy a ticket.   By the time you're in the airport you are exhausted and compliant.  Afraid to raise a fuss because you don't want to go to jail.   This is what a police state is.

I saw a guy use his phone to video what the agent was telling him.   Her immediate response was to call security and tell them he threatened her.   I was standing behind the guy.     She was treating him like crap from the getgo.

I've had flight attendants threaten me with arrest because I smiled and said "I think so" when she asked if I was willing to do the exit row duties.   That was right after she laughed at the girl next to me that said the same thing.

Dr Dao had chutzpah.  It struck a nerve, because 99.9% of us just 'take it'

Offline driftdiver

Dr Dao had chutzpah.  It struck a nerve, because 99.9% of us just 'take it'

I confess there have been times I nearly started running up and down the aisle screaming.   

Offline LonestarDream

I confess there have been times I nearly started running up and down the aisle screaming.

I have had similar sentiments.  Dr Dao, father of five ( four of which are also MDs) stood in front of the machine. 

He did. He did.

Offline skeeter

There's an op ed from a united pilots wife making the rounds today that implies Dr Dao was forceably removed after having run back on to the plane, a secured federally restricted area, violating a federal law. If true then the LEOs actions are a bit more understandable.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 05:31:28 pm by skeeter »

Offline LonestarDream

There's an op ed from a united pilots wife making the rounds today that implies Dr Dao was forceably removed after having run back on to the plane, a secured federally restricted area, violating a federal law. If true then the LEOs actions are a bit more understandable.

I think that would have been the SECOND time he was removed.

Offline LonestarDream

End Airline Protectionism: Allow Foreign Carriers On Domestic Routes

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-04-12/end-airline-protectionism-allow-foreign-carriers-domestic-routes

Personally, would rather see United's gates go to domestic carriers......

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I'd like to know how many swarthy-looking arab males, or hijab-wearing females, have been booted off overbooked flights....?

Online mountaineer

I'd like to know how many swarthy-looking arab males, or hijab-wearing females, have been booted off overbooked flights....?
Hmmm, there may have been one somewhere.  :pondering:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline LonestarDream

Hmmm, there may have been one somewhere.  :pondering:

The irony being , using law enforcement for avoidable, but petty over booking issues distracts from stopping real terrorism. 

geronl

Apparently Southwest trolled them hilariously on twitter

geronl

geronl

geronl

Offline Victoria33

@skeeter

Yes, our family member United pilot said that is what happened.  The man left the plane, then went aboard again and refused to leave, went ballistic.

geronl

Our customers are our highest priority. Until they aren't....

Offline LonestarDream

Offline LonestarDream

The video shows the suspended cop prying Dr Dao from his seat.