Author Topic: Burger King’s new ad forces Google Home to advertise the Whopper  (Read 702 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Burger King is unveiling a horrible, genius, infuriating, hilarious, and maybe very poorly thought-out ad today that’s designed to intentionally set off Google Homes and Android phones.

The 15-second ad features someone in a Burger King uniform leaning into the camera before saying, “OK Google, what is the Whopper burger?”

For anyone with a Google Home near their TV, that strangely phrased request will prompt the speaker to begin reading the Wikipedia entry for the Whopper. It’s a clever way of getting viewers’ attention, but it’s also a really quick way of getting on viewers’ nerves — just look at the reactions people had when ads accidentally triggered voice assistants in the past.
"Burger King’s ad relies on Wikipedia, which is maybe not a good idea"

While Burger King is far from the first to recognize that it’s possible to mess with someone else’s smart speaker, it’s certainly the first to put it into a widely run ad campaign. The spot is supposed to begin running in prime-time slots across the US today on networks including History, Spike, Comedy Central, MTV, E!, and Bravo, and it will air during Adult Swim, The Tonight Show, and Jimmy Kimmel Live.

Google wasn’t involved in the ad’s creation. That means this isn’t an expansion of Google’s ad tests (people weren’t happy when Google built a Beauty and the Beast ad into the speaker), but it also leads to some real issues for Burger King. For one, it has to use weird phrasing — “What is the Whopper burger?” — because that’s the query that actually gets the result it wants. Asking “What is a Whopper?” gets you the definition of the word “whopper.”

And then there’s the bigger problem: Google gets its explanation of the Whopper from Wikipedia. And as we all know, anyone’s free to edit Wikipedia.

More: http://www.theverge.com/2017/4/12/15259400/burger-king-google-home-ad-wikipedia
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: Burger King’s new ad forces Google Home to advertise the Whopper
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 08:46:53 pm »
That's hilariously brilliant.

They should follow it up with "Siri, where can I get a whopper?" and "Alexa, why is Burger King better than McDonalds?"

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 11:44:22 pm »
That's hilariously brilliant.

They should follow it up with "Siri, where can I get a whopper?" and "Alexa, why is Burger King better than McDonalds?"

Wendy's has a talented social media team, but this one was risky-but-great!

I was in a talk yesterday when someone hadn't turned off her iPhone.  Something the speaker said must have sounded like "Siri" when he was making a point of emphasis, because the phone piped up with "I didn't quite get that".  The speaker didn't miss a beat, and responded, "Okay, I'll try to explain it a different way..."
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 01:46:21 am »
Interesting.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 01:50:20 am »
It gets better.

Google quickly pushed out a fix so that Google Home would ignore the ad - like they do with their own ads for Home. Same way, too - record the ad and put the data in the ignore filter.

Burger King recut the audio so the fix no longer worked.

The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 02:03:21 am »
It gets better.

Google quickly pushed out a fix so that Google Home would ignore the ad - like they do with their own ads for Home. Same way, too - record the ad and put the data in the ignore filter.

Burger King recut the audio so the fix no longer worked.

:bigsilly:

Offline uglybiker

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 04:20:36 am »
The 15-second ad features someone in a Burger King uniform leaning into the camera ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFQyib5ZQZY
nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-BATMAN!!!