Author Topic: European Parliament votes to end visa-free travel for Americans  (Read 3084 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: European Parliament votes to end visa-free travel for Americans
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2017, 05:56:05 pm »
Shouldn't that be up to member nations?

One of the structures of the EU makes traveling to and between nations there similar to traveling between States in the US.  That is part of the treaty they have currently.

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2017, 06:33:26 pm »
One of the structures of the EU makes traveling to and between nations there similar to traveling between States in the US. That is part of the treaty they have currently.

Nicely summarized. This became a HUGE problem right after the Paris triple-terrorist attack, because several of the principles who got away immediately fled France into other EU countries. They didn't need to go through a checkpoint as long as they had  their EU I.D.s. Great. Another law enforcement officer had to die because he was taken by surprise by the suspect at a bus station in Italy. The rotten muzzie motherfather shot the officer before the officer's partner could take out the murderer with his own firearm.

There are two sides to coin of easy border crossing. It makes it easier to do business but it also makes it easier for people with bad intent to move around freely.

So the USA must compensate for the EU's failure to maintain adequate internal security (some of their member nations chose to allow hundreds of thousands or millions of asylum seekers into their nations without being properly vetted.) We didn't create that problem and terrorists seldom if ever enter Europe from the USA - its the other way around.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 06:35:23 pm by LateForLunch »
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2017, 06:39:46 pm »
You are absolutely correct. US Tourism from the EU (and vice versa) is a multiple trillion dollar industry. Not only in large part due to cultural familiarity, but because travel is so easy between the two.

This EU vote doesn't affect the ability of EU members to travel here -- it only affects the ability of Americans to travel there; the "vice-versa".  So it shouldn't have any impact on European tourists coming to the U.S., and shouldn't impact our tourist industry unless we retaliate.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 06:40:26 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline r9etb

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2017, 06:51:34 pm »
We normally shorten that to Brussells.

:beer:

Offline LateForLunch

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2017, 07:45:21 pm »
:beer:

Ah goo d'wahn! (in the language of my people)

The Belgians have historically been among the most duplicitous, treacherous people in the world. They wear treachery as their private suit of clothes. The entire history of Belgium is drenched in the stench of infamy, craven idiocy and betrayal. A less honorable nation is difficult to find anywhere on the planet. Their governments are good examples of what happens when Caucasian DNA rots from too much elitist inbreeding.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2017, 08:35:30 pm »
This EU vote doesn't affect the ability of EU members to travel here -- it only affects the ability of Americans to travel there; the "vice-versa".  So it shouldn't have any impact on European tourists coming to the U.S., and shouldn't impact our tourist industry unless we retaliate.

No, yet, but as with most of these type of items, there is a certain level of reciprocity and once they start requiring visas, especially if we have a reactionary administration, we would probably do the same.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2017, 11:03:21 pm »
Ah goo d'wahn! (in the language of my people)

The Belgians have historically been among the most duplicitous, treacherous people in the world. They wear treachery as their private suit of clothes. The entire history of Belgium is drenched in the stench of infamy, craven idiocy and betrayal. A less honorable nation is difficult to find anywhere on the planet. Their governments are good examples of what happens when Caucasian DNA rots from too much elitist inbreeding.

Brussels also happens to be the home of sprouts and the European Parliament.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2017, 11:13:28 pm »
Shouldn't that be up to member nations?

The EU member nations pretty much gave up their sovereignty to the EU parliament in Brussels...a group of self-righteous politicians too inept to run things in their own country so the elevated their game to a position where they could destroy all of Europe while lining their own pockets.

So no they dont have a real say in it.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2017, 03:18:44 am »
Honestly, how often to you see a European tourist? 

Now if we kept out the orient, then it wouldn't be one-sided.
Go to some of the western nat. parks.  Sometimes you hear more foreign accents/languages concerning Europeans than you do American voices.  You even run into an occasional group of Russkies like the wife and I have encountered several times.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2017, 03:22:55 am »
Brussels also happens to be the home of sprouts and the European Parliament.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e-3dfQK7w4

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2017, 03:33:19 am »
Those countries were letting Americans travel there without Visas, but we weren't letting them in without Visas.  I don't blame them for making it equal.

geronl

« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2017, 06:22:22 am »
especially if we have a reactionary administration, we would probably do the same.

if? lol

Offline LateForLunch

« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2017, 01:37:06 pm »
if? lol

Reactionary. That is a highly-pejorative, purely derogatory term often used by leftists to insult conservatives. I'm confused. I thought DJT's biggest flaw was that he wasn't conservative enough. So which is it, in your view? Is the president too conservative (reactionary) or not conservative enough?

BTW, far more illegal immigrants in the USA have overstayed their visas than sneaked across the border, so most are not "undocumented" at all. Incidentally, one of the reasons visas are required for such visitors to the US is that (ostensibly) the process of issuing a visa is more rigorous than that of simply issuing a passport because vetting examines their affiliations/character.

If you favor open borders, which includes allowing people to enter, leave and reenter the USA indiscriminately with little or no monitoring or oversight, I think you will find that view to be in the minuscule minority in the general population of U.S. citizens and permanent residents. Most folks I know, speak with or hear talk about it favor more-rigorous immigration standards along the lines of the ones Israel enforces, not more-lenient ones the EU maintains. We can see the marvelously effective results the EU nations have achieved in Sweden, Norway, England, France, Belgium and elsewhere. The contrast is fairly dramatic, wouldn't you say?

Maybe the EU nations are moving in a better direction (finally) and doing the right thing (increasing rigor in travel/ immigration oversight) even if for the wrong reasons (petty vindictiveness) instead of a genuine concern for the well-being of their people.

Awaiting your substantive response and hitting my stopwatch NOW...

« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 01:59:46 pm by LateForLunch »

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2017, 01:53:48 pm »
The article says that it is a NON-BINDING resolution. If this is non-binding, what effect does it have?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2017, 01:59:01 pm »
The article says that it is a NON-BINDING resolution. If this is non-binding, what effect does it have?

Depends on the terms the resolution winds up getting. Non binding are supposed to be voluntarily followed, but theres voluntary and "voluntary, but if you don't follow it we're going to make your life hell." One of the reasons the UK left - apart from being highly unaccountable, the Euroweenies are very arbitrary.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2017, 01:59:44 pm »

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.