Author Topic: Fox News: Top Syrian Army defector not surprised by chemical attacks, says toxins still hidden despite Russia agreement  (Read 536 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Top Syrian Army defector not surprised by chemical attacks, says toxins still hidden despite Russia agreement
Hollie McKay

By Hollie McKay Published April 10, 2017
Facebook Twitter   Email

Brig. Gen. Zaher al-Sakat, once the military's chemical weapons chief in charge of such scientific operations for the Syrian Army, says the alleged sarin attacks are no surprise.

Appalling images of Syrian babies gasping for breath and others foaming at the mouth after the Damascus regime hit a rebel-held town with chemical weapons has stunned the world. But people were almost as stunned last week that Syria still had chemical weapons because the Kremlin in June 2014 had vouched publicly for their complete eradication.

On man who certainly wasn’t stunned that Syria had such weapons and would use them was Syrian Brig. Gen. Zaher al-Sakat, once the Bashar regime’s chemical weapons chief in charge of such operations.

In an interview this week with Fox News, Sakat remained steadfast that there is no way his former boss, Syrian President Bashar Assad, would ever "completely give up" his arsenal. Sakat said that in 2013 he was ordered -- from the top -- to use chemical weapons, phosgene and chlorine, on three separate occasions.

Continued: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/04/10/top-syrian-army-defector-not-surprised-by-chemical-attacks-says-toxins-still-hidden-despite-russia-agreement.html

There have been a number of defectors through the years from the Syrian government, everyone can form opinions, I see some solid indicators to form mine.

Offline DB

So what is the end game and what would "success" look like? If that can't be answered, what's the point?

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
So what is the end game and what would "success" look like? If that can't be answered, what's the point?

I'm not terribly trusting of defectors anyway. That's especially true of high ranking military types. They'll say whatever we want them to say if they think there is a chance for wealth and power in a new regime replacing an old one.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused

I tend to trust defectors, a number have because Assad is targeting the Sunni population and these military defectors often have been Sunni and didn't want to kill their own people.

I think we will see Assad step down, Trump's masterstroke will be if this ends up being the end of Putin too.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 09:55:05 pm by TomSea »